PDA

View Full Version : First true project

Richard
07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I've been working my way around the basics of java for a while now, simple programs performing useless tasks and all that. I'd like to actually create something useful, something that'll be used by someone other than myself. It would be nice to do this as a form of practice for my A-level project which is upcoming.

Any ideas? If I'm honest, I'd quite enjoy a challenge, give myself a chance to experiment, learn my way around the more complex areas.

Awkwardsaw
07-08-2011, 10:46 PM
A tic-tac-toe game? That or ping-pong :)

Or, you can make a text based adventure game, sounds like fun

Method
07-08-2011, 10:53 PM
IRC bots are usually pretty popular in the RS cheating community. Making one would give you experience in application design, networking, reading and implementing a protocol specification, and even in GUI development if you want to turn the bot into a full-blown IRC client.

Frement
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I'd say go with the IRC client.

BraK
07-08-2011, 11:18 PM
IRC bots are usually pretty popular in the RS cheating community. Making one would give you experience in application design, networking, reading and implementing a protocol specification, and even in GUI development if you want to turn the bot into a full-blown IRC client.

Method you've really thought this out. :) You make me want to make a IRC Bot :p

~BraK

mat_de_b
07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Can i ask what A Level this is connected with?

Flight
07-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I agree with Frement, a nice IRC Client would be nice. Something maybe we can implant into Villavu to connect to #SRL without having to download programs like mIRC, ect...

KingKong
07-09-2011, 04:09 AM
I agree with Frement, a nice IRC Client would be nice. Something maybe we can implant into Villavu to connect to #SRL without having to download programs like mIRC, ect...

You don't need to download a irc client, just use www.mibbit.com, its what i use.

@OP: This might help you choose something: http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html or if you really feel like a challenge, make an open source hook updater?

Huthaifah
07-09-2011, 04:19 AM
What's an IRC Client. Oh and you should make a soul wars script if it's about RS :)

Richard
07-09-2011, 09:54 AM
A tic-tac-toe game? That or ping-pong :)

Or, you can make a text based adventure game, sounds like fun

I might make pong as a side thing, sounds like it could be good fun :)

I quite like the sound of this, and with the whole of the summer to work on this, it could have a large number of features. Need to start learning the ins and outs of IRC.

Can i ask what A Level this is connected with?

Computing

You don't need to download a irc client, just use www.mibbit.com, its what i use.

@OP: This might help you choose something: http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html or if you really feel like a challenge, make an open source hook updater?

I've been looking in reverse engineering, pattern searching and such recently, would be quite nice to do something like that. Aren't there any open source updaters?

What's an IRC Client. Oh and you should make a soul wars script if it's about RS :)

If I'm honest, I want to branch away from RS scripting (though if you find Gabbro on RSBuddy, I'm planning on releasing a couple of scripts).

I think I'm going to go with this IRC bot idea, and I'll get started on some research right away! Expect threads in this forum asking questions ;)

Method
07-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I quite like the sound of this, and with the whole of the summer to work on this, it could have a large number of features. Need to start learning the ins and outs of IRC.

I think I'm going to go with this IRC bot idea, and I'll get started on some research right away! Expect threads in this forum asking questions ;)

This site (http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/index.html) is a good resource for the IRC protocol. In particular, you'll probably want to read RFC 1459 and RFC 2812, but you can read them all if you want to do so.

Bad Processor
07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
An IRC bot, as someone suggested, but with command capabilities to check the price of objects based on the first few letters of their name, and see how much in % the price has fluctuated over a variable amount of time. *breathe*
EDIT: Oh, and has a built-in text game version of Crysis, complete with Super-HD miving ASCII art.

Smarter Child
07-10-2011, 01:31 AM
A "Hello World!" application.

Bobarkinator
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
One of my first java applications was an IRC Bot. They're a lot of fun and if you put some cool features in them people can have fun with them. Mine had a feature that let people look things up on UrbanDictionary.com, that was a pretty fun feature.