PDA

View Full Version : Long range / High powered Wireless

Narcle
08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
So at my work place he was using wireless routers with antennas to get across the street to the other store to communicate to the network. He was using one router as is and other one set to a repeater (WDS) to link across the street. But the network has been giving problems and finally now they don't work anymore. I suggested going to N for increased power and bandwidth and he agrees.

We are trying to network wireless across a busy/packed street, and sometimes a semi-truck will park right in front of the store. So line of site is an issue unless we use antennas.

Its about ~600-700 feet to the other store.

We would like to use a N router and connect it to the antenna but none that we've found are guaranteed to have a detachable exterior antenna to do this. Next is if we place a high powered router in front of store to reach across the street, a 450mb or a 600 potentially. Our concern for that is the cars or large semis in the front will impact it.

The computers are constantly using the network across the street during the busy day so any interruptions would hamper it.

So my question is, any suggestions? Or is the powerful N routers enough that large trucks in the way won't deter the connection?

Brandon
08-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't understand the situation much.. but whenever u need to get internet wirelessly and u need a good wireless adapter, the:

Alpha AWUS051NH 500mW

is definitely the best approach ever!! Why? Because I used it in sync with backtrack to hack WEP keys from about 1 mile away.. That means it can pickup wifi from a mile away.. Dunno if u need something that strong but its a good choice lol.

Edit: Just re-read it.. that might not be what u want.. U need a router that broadcasts a signal 600 feet and then have another store pick up the signal?? I'll look around and see if I know any.. hmm heard linksys and cisco's N routers are best for that.. Where I live, u can buy a router and if it doesn't suit ur needs, u return it for full price.

Wanted
08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Maybe the Net Gear Gigabit Range Max

tarajunky
08-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Just be aware that you need a good connection on both ends.

In HAM radio there are people called "crocodiles" that put out a very strong signal (big mouth), but have poor receiving antennas (small ears). That does no good because the signal needs to work both ways.

So, if things are kind of working now, perhaps you just need to improve the output signal or receiver of the weaker of the two routers.

Capricorn
08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Wireless sucks, is it at all possible it can be done over wired? Wireless will always be flakey

I doubt going to N will fix your problems if you have physical obstructions. Basically anything [thick, dense] like that will just block the waves.

Shuttleu
08-12-2011, 11:29 PM
you probably want to go for a linksys router with a omni-directional aerial

but whatever you do, stay away from netgear

~shut

Narcle
08-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't understand the situation much.. but whenever u need to get internet wirelessly and u need a good wireless adapter, the:

Alpha AWUS051NH 500mW

is definitely the best approach ever!! Why? Because I used it in sync with backtrack to hack WEP keys from about 1 mile away.. That means it can pickup wifi from a mile away.. Dunno if u need something that strong but its a good choice lol.

Edit: Just re-read it.. that might not be what u want.. U need a router that broadcasts a signal 600 feet and then have another store pick up the signal?? I'll look around and see if I know any.. hmm heard linksys and cisco's N routers are best for that.. Where I live, u can buy a router and if it doesn't suit ur needs, u return it for full price.
Damn I will definitely look into it. Really there isn't a price cap set atm, he is willing to pay big for equipment that lasts a few years and works good. He only needs to connect to one computer in the other store.

Maybe the Net Gear Gigabit Range Max
Netgear looks the most promising, we've been looking at theirs the most.

Just be aware that you need a good connection on both ends.

In HAM radio there are people called "crocodiles" that put out a very strong signal (big mouth), but have poor receiving antennas (small ears). That does no good because the signal needs to work both ways.

So, if things are kind of working now, perhaps you just need to improve the output signal or receiver of the weaker of the two routers.
Nothing is working atm. The current routers were using omni-direction antenna line of sight of the other building with a directional antenna but his current G routers stopped working and were slow during their uses, but worked.
If necessary we will use 2 high powered routers to do the job.

Wireless sucks, is it at all possible it can be done over wired? Wireless will always be flakey

I doubt going to N will fix your problems if you have physical obstructions. Basically anything [thick, dense] like that will just block the waves.
No it is not possible to do wired. It is ACROSS THE STREET of a major shopping area.
There is a potential brick wall in the way, that's why we considered placing it in the window. Or better yet using his already placed antenna above with N for better speeds.

@ Shuttu
From what I've found Linksys doesn't have any routers that are n with exterior detachable antennas most are internal.

I was thinking with Dual band n router the signals can go through different materials (cars/trucks) better so one or the other will reach the other side. But I wanted some people experienced with this for advice before committing to it.

Edit:
Oh as a test i placed my shitty D-Link n router in the window and was picking up 50% signal at the store across the street.

KingKong
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Mount the router higher up above the ground, or change the angle of it so that it reflects to one side and then does it again on the other side.(if u get what i said)

Shuttleu
08-13-2011, 12:11 AM
or you could make one of those beer can reflector signal boosters

~shut

EDIT: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Booster-Using-Only-a-Beer-Can

Narcle
08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
or you could make one of those beer can reflector signal boosters

~shut

EDIT: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Booster-Using-Only-a-Beer-Can

Its considered illegal or some shit, so wouldn't go well when its for an actually store. Personal use wouldn't be a problem.

Its more of finding the correct equipment at this point. As I mentioned he has antennas just need to find those that work with it, or if not good enough to go through potential cars and trucks.

Shuttleu
08-13-2011, 12:23 AM
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WRT160NL

~shut

Narcle
08-13-2011, 12:32 AM
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WRT160NL

~shut

Thanks for the link. I've researched it before and didn't see good reviews.

Capricorn
08-13-2011, 01:15 AM
You'll want a directional solution on both sides, above street level. That's my opinion at least, if what you're trying to do can't be done over the internet.

Boreas
08-13-2011, 01:37 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-designed-increase-performance-Bluetooth/dp/B002BFOCO2/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313199203&sr=1-12 + dual band repeaters (so that speed is not cut in half)

or if reliability is more important than speed, you might consider just going wired, both sites with modems and internet service, and VPN them together.

grats
08-13-2011, 03:17 AM
are you able to put an amplifier anywhere around?

I'd get a powerful router for the main building.. and then put an amp outside of the secondary building, it should pickup the weakish signal and amp it for the secondary building to use.. best I could think of.. also get really good antennas for the router you get, not the stock ones for any router.. it'll help a lot

Narcle
08-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. This gives me some options. /bow