PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

PotentPK
09-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Ok. So here is my dilemma. I am applying to college very soon. I have to figure out my major. It's between Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I really need to figure it out soon because I am wishing to get into a technical based college which has a very strict set of classes in order to get the degree.

My understanding on what Computer Science and Computer Engineering are:

Computer Science: Much to do with programming and computer stuff.

Computer Engineering: More to do with the actual hardware of the computer and I need to learn somewhat about electrical engineering.

I have no experience in either. I have never programmed and haven't taken any classes on electricity. I feel as if Computer Science is a more well known degree, but on the other hand people with Computer Engineering degrees seem to get paid significantly more and Computer Engineering also touches on programming. I feel as if with Computer Engineering I might be able to teach myself extra programming on the side if I must.

Not sure if anyone was in a situation like this but I really need some advice here. Would appreciate anything, thanks.

I've also taken plenty of classes IT related but I don't really want to go into IT.

NCDS
09-25-2011, 03:27 AM
My advice would be to pick the major most directed at the career you're seeking. There are plenty of online tutorials and such to learn the other stuff. Numerous people here are very skilled programmers in multiple languages without attending any classes prior, just as an example.

You're going to have to start with general education classes anyways, so I'm sure you could always change your major as you learn more about the classes and each subject.

PotentPK
09-25-2011, 03:36 AM
My advice would be to pick the major most directed at the career you're seeking. There are plenty of online tutorials and such to learn the other stuff. Numerous people here are very skilled programmers in multiple languages without attending any classes prior, just as an example.

You're going to have to start with general education classes anyways, so I'm sure you could always change your major as you learn more about the classes and each subject.

Thanks. I'm feeling Computer Engineering because I feel like I can also learn programming without necessarily getting a degree in CS. Though, won't Computer Engineering be harder? I plan on having a talk with my computer teacher about this though I know the choice will eventually be up to me.

It's still constantly running through my mind. Though I don't want to end up switching because of tuition cost and when you go into the Engineering field the classes are different than the rest. You need to take different math classes/intro classes etc.

sf411
09-25-2011, 03:47 AM
What was your highest math class and average grade in HS? I am in a Software Engineering degree, I have to take CalcI-CalcIII and two higher level courses. I know C.E. takes even more math, so if you can handle high-level maths neither should be hard for you.

PotentPK
09-25-2011, 03:53 AM
What was your highest math class and average grade in HS? I am in a Software Engineering degree, I have to take CalcI-CalcIII and two higher level courses. I know C.E. takes even more math, so if you can handle high-level maths neither should be hard for you.

Pre-Calculus will be my highest math class. Probably got about a B+ average in my math classes. I hope I can take the higher math classes. My friend who has been in college for a while who I consider pretty smart didn't do so good in Calculus I which makes me wonder how hard it will be.

Do you know what the difference between an average day of a Computer Science major at a job than a Computer Engineer at a job.

Aren't there also 2 types of Computer Engineering? The degree I'm looking at simply says Computer Engineering.

I've seen different types so I'm confused about that.

sf411
09-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Here is a link for you that explains your question pretty well: LINK
(http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/undergrad/academics/degrees/cs-vs-cen)

PotentPK
09-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Here is a link for you that explains your question pretty well: LINK
(http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/undergrad/academics/degrees/cs-vs-cen)

Thanks. Both seem pretty interesting to me. I've always wondered how the hardware itself actually works, but at the same time I feel like I would be more able to go for CS.

lordsaturn
09-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Here:
http://i.imgur.com/Lzokj.jpg

Main
09-27-2011, 03:09 AM
Do you like physics or would you rather program stuff? I just switched from mechanical engineering to computer science and software engineering, engineering has a lot of physics and electricity / chemistry (depends on your path). But Computer engineering is really similar to electrical engineering now days, a lot of electrical, signal and fundamental physics in that major.

PotentPK
09-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Do you like physics or would you rather program stuff? I just switched from mechanical engineering to computer science and software engineering, engineering has a lot of physics and electricity / chemistry (depends on your path). But Computer engineering is really similar to electrical engineering now days, a lot of electrical, signal and fundamental physics in that major.

Yea. I was looking at an example of the classes and there seems to be a ton of electrical engineering classes thrown in the Computer Engineering course. I feel like if there is so much more electrical things than computer things maybe it shouldn't be for me despite it makes a little more money. Though, it still does touch on programming a little bit, you do get some programming knowledge.

With Computer Science I feel like it will be too much programming...

It's still a little iffy for me.

Lima Bean
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Here is a link to help you to get a feel for the education side.

http://academicearth.org/

As for the real world choice, that's up to you :):):)

Wizzup?
10-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Yea. I was looking at an example of the classes and there seems to be a ton of electrical engineering classes thrown in the Computer Engineering course. I feel like if there is so much more electrical things than computer things maybe it shouldn't be for me despite it makes a little more money. Though, it still does touch on programming a little bit, you do get some programming knowledge.

With Computer Science I feel like it will be too much programming...

It's still a little iffy for me.

Computer Science on academical level is not so much programming; it's more about the algorithms behind the programming. For example, you won't really be writing a lot of network applications, but rather learning about the OSI levels, how TCP works, how UDP works, etc. The same goes for databases, you'll learn how databases work, more or less. You don't just ``learn how to use SQL''. With Computer Science you won't easily become a programmers - you'll more likely start your own company or become consultant, or do research. So it's certainly not ``all about programming''. CS also has quite some low level / hardware stuff - you'll know all about JK flipflops, but not so much about the actual electrical engineering behind it.

Capricorn
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Just major in Math

Math > *

litoris
10-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Just major in Math

Math > *

Everything is an application of math, after all:)

PotentPK
10-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the insight. I decided on Computer Science for some personal reasons of mine. Thanks guys.