PDA

View Full Version : Android Fragmentation:

Nava2
11-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Hey,

Interesting post: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

discuss?

kingarabian
11-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Hey,

Interesting post: http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

discuss?

Very interesting indeed. Google has a lot of work to do and catching up with Apple. I mean when Ice Cream Sandwich was released for tablets, why didn't they make a version for smart phones.

euphemism
11-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Very interesting indeed. Google has a lot of work to do and catching up with Apple. I mean when Ice Cream Sandwich was released for tablets, why didn't they make a version for smart phones.

Are you referring to Honeycomb? Honeycomb was not designed for phones and their form factor.

Nava2
11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Honeycomb was designed with tablets in mind, and might I add, it runs very well. The difference is the screen size.

Now, Ice Cream Sandwich runs both fluently. I'm so excited for getting ICS on both of my devices.

Flight
11-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Honeycomb was designed with tablets in mind, and might I add, it runs very well. The difference is the screen size.

Now, Ice Cream Sandwich runs both fluently. I'm so excited for getting ICS on both of my devices.

Yeah I've seen some previews of 4.0, looks amazing. They say it won't be released until April, is that what you heard?

kingarabian
11-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Yeah I've seen some previews of 4.0, looks amazing. They say it won't be released until April, is that what you heard?

What... I thought they said the 4th quarter of 2011.

@Previous post: Sorry I got mixed up :redface:. Very new to the Android scene.

Nava2
11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11/01/googles-android-ice-cream-sandwich-coming-nov-17/

Fourth quarter 2011 it seems!

Home
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
When they are going release source?

After that there will be modded versions :)

~Home

Nava2
11-01-2011, 09:40 PM
When they are going release source?

After that there will be modded versions :)

~Home

source is november i believe.. carrier adaption is guarenteed by devices that can support it. but no word on times.

grats
08-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I'd like to necro this thread with html5(+javascript probably?) & runescape in mind, because a lot of people do have /will have tablets sometime

Dolphin being the best browser (and from the looks of it probably will be for a long time) what are new OS optimization / different OS's out that run very well?

some tablets can run 2-3 bots at their specs

m3gaman3g3nd
09-08-2012, 10:14 PM
andriod is the new os

Dervish
09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd like to necro this thread with html5(+javascript probably?) & runescape in mind, because a lot of people do have /will have tablets sometime

Dolphin being the best browser (and from the looks of it probably will be for a long time) what are new OS optimization / different OS's out that run very well?

some tablets can run 2-3 bots at their specs

I disagree, Google Chrome for Android is the best imo, beats Dolphin in every way (if this is wrong, correct me).

Ian
09-13-2012, 11:10 PM
I disagree, Google Chrome for Android is the best imo, beats Dolphin in every way (if this is wrong, correct me).

Dolphin has the advantage of running on phones that are not ICS (4.0+) compatible (mine, for instance)

Austin
09-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Mobile Google Chrome ftw! Using it atm lol and yeah I think it's better than dolphin browser too.

NKN
09-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Interesting read :#

satkan
09-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Mmh, i find Iphones to always have older hardware compared to android hardware.

I mean, look at the quad-cored models nowadays, and apple just standing there with a dual-cored model.

Honestly, I'd take a HTC or Samsung over an Apple anytime.

grats
09-14-2012, 10:45 AM

I was posting fact, not an opinion.. I have no opinion, I hate smartphones & tablets

Dervish
09-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 (yes S2/I9100), I can't wait for it to be delivered as I currently have the HTC Buzz/Wildfire and it's really starting to feel old.

Austin
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I was posting fact, not an opinion.. I have no opinion, I hate smartphones & tablets
How could you hate smartphones?

Ian
09-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah lol, except that I get less sleep because of the internet lol. I should have my phones charger farther away from my bed.

Bobarkinator
09-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Mmh, i find Iphones to always have older hardware compared to android hardware.

I mean, look at the quad-cored models nowadays, and apple just standing there with a dual-cored model.

Honestly, I'd take a HTC or Samsung over an Apple anytime.

http://wmpoweruser.com/intel-android-dual-core-so-poor-having-a-second-core-is-actually-a-detriment/

Marketing at its best. Selling you things you don't need.

Dervish
09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
http://wmpoweruser.com/intel-android-dual-core-so-poor-having-a-second-core-is-actually-a-detriment/

Marketing at its best. Selling you things you don't need.

Call me a fanboy but I think that's some shady play by Intel.

Zeds
09-25-2012, 04:59 PM
nah Intel's right. But I guess to the average mind "quad-core processor" sounds pretty kick ass.

Bobarkinator
09-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Granted they were trying to make the fact that they didn't have a dual core processor seem more relevant, I'd say the tests they did are still solid.

Dervish
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Granted they were trying to make the fact that they didn't have a dual core processor seem more relevant, I'd say the tests they did are still solid.

Still wonder why they provided no benchmark graphs and such ..