PDA

View Full Version : NASA's Kepler Mission Confirms Its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star

Bramble
12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
When i seen this on the news i was quite shocked, and then i thought why the hell am i trying to be green if we can just go to a new planet :-P.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html

Wizzup?
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Because you probably can't go to another planet in your lifetime, and probably not at least 50 more lifetimes, perhaps even never. So you better stay green. :)

Bramble
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
haha, and by the time it does happen our speedometers go from kmph or mph to lyph would be crazy lol

Flight
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah I read this over earlier. They're still more focused on finding intelligent life forms than finding an alternate home for us. :(

Bramble
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
i think that it is more then possible to find alternate lifeforms when we find habitable planets. especially seing as how we survive on this one :-P

P1nky
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
In my opinion, Aliens are real, it is quite understood. $600,000,000 over some BS... is pointless.

600 Light Years = 5672552973292800 km

shake my head...NASA...

Just check out this link, and well... that's interesting :
http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/

oh btw does Kepler have any job openings ? well let me get my Bags ready and Passport updated ;)

onilika
12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Woohoo! Let's go to kepler's planet :D
Seems to be a good guys, right?
Oh....Kepler is a planet...looking for intelligent life forms? What about us? --'

oudshoorn
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM
if simba moves there i'll move along xD

[XoL]
12-08-2011, 12:51 AM
StarTrek might become a possibility :P
Can't say I agree about the aliens though, according to the big-bang (which I don't believe in) the chance of us getting created on pure luck is like 1/999999999 :P Doubt it happened anywhere else

Coh3n
12-08-2011, 02:20 AM
StarTrek might become a possibility :P
Can't say I agree about the aliens though, according to the big-bang (which I don't believe in) the chance of us getting created on pure luck is like 1/999999999 :P Doubt it happened anywhere elseConsidering how many planets there are it doesn't shock me that at least one was able to inhabit life. You guys should watch Steven Hawking's documentary on aliens. Very interesting.

RISK
12-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Or Carl Sagan's work. :)

Considering how many planets there are it doesn't shock me that at least one was able to inhabit life. You guys should watch Steven Hawking's documentary on aliens. Very interesting.

Coh3n
12-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Just read the article. Interesting read, though they're looking for planets that are possibly habitable by humans. If we were able to adapt to live off what's in our atmosphere , it's only logical to say that aliens were able to adapt to what's in theirs. Just because humans can't inhabit a planet, doesn't mean aliens can't. ;)

RISK, I'm going to look into that. :)

[XoL]
12-08-2011, 04:59 AM
Perhaps but I don't think aliens in the same aspect of "district 9" and such. I have this odd notion there is no creature in this universe that is as capable as man. I know that sounds very "superioristic"
cough yes I made a word up :P* but if there was something that could rival us we would of already tried to eliminate it; that is the human way and what are the chances something that can think and evolve in thought exists besides us.

Sorry that might of sounded really dumb :P

Coh3n
12-08-2011, 06:04 AM
You're free to have your own opinion, but if we were able to evolve, why can't something else?

Bramble
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
how can you eliminate something you cannot find or catch?

Bolshoi Booze
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
If that planet is 600 light years away, that means that what we see when we look at it happened 600 years ago. The planet could already be destroyed or actually have life on it. We just can't see it in real time.

davx
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
:) with the new theory's that there could be something faster than the speed of light 'Neutrino' thing could happen slighty faster
Personalty i would love to see 'Aliens' in my lifetime it would be great to a place that runs on an energy source which will never run out and doesn't harm the environment
Here's Hoping

Runaway
12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Because you probably can't go to another planet in your lifetime, and probably not at least 50 more lifetimes, perhaps even never. So you better stay green. :)

Could I hear your take on why this is?

All you have to do is design a vessel that takes the energy burst fired from a laser (which can be based on the earth, moon or space station) and uses that as propulsion rather than using fuel. Since fuel takes up 90% of a spaceship's weight it would be very possible to fire a laser continuously at the vessel and approach a large fraction of the speed of light.

It would be a 1-way ticket and obviously there are many holes in this plan, but it's not preposterous to say that someone could be launched to another solar system in the current era. There would be no coming back, but returning to the earth after traveling such a long distance at a speed close to the speed of light would be time travel (into the future, of course).

DemiseScythe
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Humans with our current technology can now Teleport

1 atom from place A to place B. Too bad humans have trillions of those =/

Runaway
12-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Humans with our current technology can now Teleport

1 atom from place A to place B. Too bad humans have trillions of those =/

Until we know what consciousness truly is we can't act upon that anyways :P

jabookman
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I bet we will have settlements on the moon in 50 years. anyone agree?

heshbush
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I believe personally if aliens are able to achieve lightspeed travel, and assuming their structure allows them to live for thousands of years then we can achieve this too one day. May it be plasma or some sort of foreign mineral deposit in perhaps even Keplers galaxy region there has to be some material in the universe that allows us to become in essence light and travel at that speed.. Ofcourse a human has yet to live close to 600 years so we have two major obstacles to overcome =p I say when aliens get the courage to invade we steal their technology and even their biology and mend it to what we have now >:)

BigMaczRGood
12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I never was into politics until Obama killed NASA...

Mr. Doctor
12-24-2011, 07:54 PM
If we ever find the god particle, the higgs boson, we could travel at, or near, the speed of light.

It's a particle (theoretical) that gives all objects matter.

DeezNuTz
02-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Doesn't surprise me that there is another habitable planet for humans. As regards to intelligent life - depends how old the organisms on that planet are. After all we have evolved over millions and millions of years and we continue to evolve. Believe it or not but scientists have said that in a few million more years, if mankind is still around we will no longer have a fifth 'baby toe' among other things ...

grats
02-02-2012, 07:07 PM
In my opinion, Aliens are real, it is quite understood. $600,000,000 over some BS... is pointless.

600 Light Years = 5672552973292800 km

shake my head...NASA...

Just check out this link, and well... that's interesting :
http://www.latest-ufo-sightings.net/

oh btw does Kepler have any job openings ? well let me get my Bags ready and Passport updated ;)

mathematically the chances of planets just in our galaxy that have life is something hundred billion so yea, intelligent life isn't much of a stretch, it's obviously far rarer than just simple life like bacteria

we've also found proof of existing life elsewhere, just not life that is still alive

we also estimate earth to be a bad life sustaining planet, like we're pretty bad compared to the average planet with life lol..

why we aren't looking for a alternate planet is because to travel out of our solar system it would take many generations.. we would need a ship that has infinite fuel that it generates from probably solar & also momentum or something.. possibly even human energy powered, it would also need farms and produce oxygen within itself (obviously / hopefully the farms would do that) so the ship would need to be massive in size

what interests me are the ships trying to be designed like tachyons so their minimum speeds are slightly faster than the speed of light, it seems out there but everything we know and have in average life styles were impossible and didn't exist a couple hundred years ago, so who knows what we'll know 100 years from now

exilednoob
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Intelligent life forms? Not sure about that but not going to dismiss it.
As far as Micro Organisms on other planets? With out a doubt for sure

footballjds
02-10-2012, 05:12 PM
If we ever find the god particle, the higgs boson, we could travel at, or near, the speed of light.

It's a particle (theoretical) that gives all objects matter.

The Large Hadron Collider(super collider) in switzerland is trying!!!

Godric
02-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Well I'm just sayin that if anyone wants some more info about NASA this is not a bad blogspot http://kreislauf.blogspot.com/ And talking about topic we are screwed anyway when were out of oil unless prophecy of Nostradamus fulfills ( well basically he was saying that this period in which we are living right now will be saved by scientists but i doubt that )

Nostradamus was a anti-christ himself

Jammycaliber
06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
When i seen this on the news i was quite shocked, and then i thought why the hell am i trying to be green if we can just go to a new planet :-P.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html

because most planets in the universe are moving away from us faster than we can ever get to them?