PDA

View Full Version : bot (robot) programed with simba

eduardo230
01-25-2012, 05:02 AM
well i want to be a mecatrronic engeneer and im now at a club of robotics just started today hahah.
I had some esxperience with scripting but no very good, what do you think of programing a robot (real robot) with simba to detect diferent color and shapes and evade them. i was think of using a web cam for color finding and some mecanos for the strucuture.

so what do think about this? does simba is a good choise to program a robot? or what else you can recomend me :)
(the contest is named prision brake, you need to scape of a maze the quickliest you can, evading pitfall and obstackes somthing like an agility course on RS hha)

Main
01-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Don't use simba for controlling robots, Believe me, I tried.

Matlab or c++ is much better, because not only its a "more powerful" language but it can do machine/computer vision and CAN (Controller area network) in the same code.

But you can use simba to do computer vision by it self, its not too bad unless you wanna get into tracking complex objects like facese, then you gotta learn higher level linear agebra and calculus.

*Summary* if you wanna move a robot, then learn open computer vision (http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/) and do it in the same language you are using to control the robot. If you just want plain computer vision (like what we are doing), then simba should be fine.

eduardo230
01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
oo ok thank you :) Ill try, I thought it was the perfect oportunity to start programming with simba :/ well.

Awkwardsaw
01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I use simba for some of my microcontroller stuff. You just need to use "pipes" to send info to the program running the robot.

For example, simba edits a file(.ini), a running python script(I use python, could be whatever) reads and sends the file info to your robot(or microcontroller). You can't do advanced stuff, but it could be fun if you're creative enough

wantonman
01-26-2012, 02:23 AM
thats very cool to hear! robots are tight!

ive always been into building lego stuff and think robotics are the next big step!

eduardo230
01-26-2012, 03:58 AM
thanks for the advaices! :) Mee too hehe i was always playing with my legos, and arming and disarming my toys when little i think that made me interested in robotics :)

Jhangir
01-26-2012, 04:05 AM
I use c and c++ to program my robots.