PDA

View Full Version : Examinations leave out other stuff?

Yakman
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Every so often, a class full of students studies for their exams,

the book they are studying is Romeo and Juliet,
the maths subject is the quadratic equation
the science subject is radiation and decay

does this leave out stuff?

for quite a while, iv had to study Romeo and Juliet by Shakespear, but this stops me learning some more intresting authors
the other day i went to a library and read some books which were not on the syllabus
they were all great. The Shining, Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm

by learning about one sort of thing, we miss out on the rest

should exams test more books?
or perhaps a differant way of testing out abilities?

like with computers, iv spend hours learning what MICR means and how banks use it to process stuff. But we havent touched on any sort of programming at all

ever gone to a library, read something and though, "why dont we study this?"

discuss please :)

Ruroken
03-26-2007, 01:01 AM

for quite a while, iv had to study Romeo and Juliet by Shakespear, but this stops me learning some more intresting authors
the other day i went to a library and read some books which were not on the syllabus

like with computers, iv spend hours learning what MICR means and how banks use it to process stuff. But we havent touched on any sort of programming at all

Its all about what fits the curriculum. What challenges and educates people of that age. Sure, Animal Farm is a good book, but does it show sufficient things from the course like say, literary devices?

legendaryhero90
03-26-2007, 04:33 AM
funny how i feel after reading that...

i actually know all those stuff that yakman was talking about...

romeo and juliet (they both die... so who gives a F***)
quadratic equation (x= +-b (sqrt 4 x ac) / 2a)
radiation and decay... ( alpha, beta, gamma)

and yes i do feel that at times... school teaches us very useless things like such..:eek:

$PYD3R
03-31-2007, 04:33 PM
lol. my high school just banned most of the interesting books that you're supposed to study in english like lord of the flies. I had english last semester and we learned lotf and romeo and juliet while reading other books of our own to which we had to write responsive journals and media assignments that linked other books, movies, etc.. to the book we were reading. So, in a way, we do read other interesting books in english class.

Yakman
03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
well look at this, we've had to read Romeo and Juliet, but iv read Macbeth which i think is a much better play, like Romeo and Juliet is so depressing, but with Macbeth theres loads of blood, riddles and word play, like a wood marching

$PYD3R
03-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Every grade at our high school reads a different piece of literature by Shakespeare. For example, grade 9 is the Merchant of Venice, grade 10 is Romeo and Juliet, and I believe that grade 11 is Macbeth. I am not sure of the grade 12 play. Eventually we'll get around to Macbeth while reading other books along the way. There's no point in rushing through things. It's like starting off as an amateur SCAR scripter and instead of looking at a simple powerminer you decide you want to check out the ultimate crafting guild miner/banker. You should to appreciate the simple items before moving on. Jumping ahead will just leave you with your computer on overnight auto'ing without you actually attempting any scripting because you were too confused by the functions in crafting guild miner.

@ ruroken. EVERY book has literary devices. Whether it's a child's book about animals with foreshadowing or Shakespeare's metaphors. Professional writers use these devices effectively in all of their novels. In fact, that's part of what makes them professionals.

Starblaster100
03-31-2007, 09:34 PM
funny how i feel after reading that...

i actually know all those stuff that yakman was talking about...

romeo and juliet (they both die... so who gives a F***)
quadratic equation (x= +-b (sqrt 4 x ac) / 2a)
radiation and decay... ( alpha, beta, gamma)

and yes i do feel that at times... school teaches us very useless things like such..:eek:

your quadratic equation is wrong.

(-B +- Sqrt (B^2 - 4ac)) / 2a

whales
04-01-2007, 05:26 AM
In America, at least, public education is based off a set curriculum. I dissagre with this style of teaching completely. While it may be effective in teaching students the basics and the "important stuff" it usually doesn't cover what the students enjoy and want to learn. I think that there needs to be reform so that the students study what they enjoy, this in turn will motivate students to go beyond what is required and advance students more than what is expected.

Jason2gs
04-01-2007, 05:52 AM
I've always felt that the stuff we learn in school is well, for lack of a better term, useless. Unless you're going to go into a field where things like what you're taught is needed, ditch it. Has anyone had to use half the stuff they teach you in algebra? Doubt it.

Now I'm homeschooled, but the best my mom could come up with to tell me was, "In life, you're going to have to do things you don't want to do, this is preparing you for it."

I guess in a sense she's right, but in another sense, why not go into a career you actually like? Be your own boss.

I'm not saying to cut school out completely, I'm just saying that we should spend time learning things that will be useful to us.

If someone wants to go into computers, let him learn about C++ and Java. Something useful.

Which brings me to another topic.

Why are all guys forced to like sports? I'm a guy, and I really don't give a crap who wins the game this weekend.

If I'm a nerd, fine. I'm happy. And I guess while I'm the head of a big software company, everyone else will be sitting on their butts watching Football, trying to hold down their job at Big Boy, while six foster kids are roaming the neighborhood, while their wife is out getting drunk and felt up by another lowlife... I could go on, but I don't really feel like dissing... Well, everybody :rolleyes:

$PYD3R
04-01-2007, 06:28 AM
guys aren't forced to like sports. In fact, i know more nerds than jocks. I mean sure my amount of math tests all depends on whether the Montreal Canadiens win or lose a game but still, that's just because my math teacher loves hockey. I snowboard, play rugby, football, etc... the works, but it doesn't mean i care who wins what, unless I made a bet with a friend on a game. Other than that, I don't really care. I don't really find that sports are forced on guys, maybe an extreme division of the male population into nerds, jocks, emos, etc...but nothing is being forced on anyone.

Santa_Clause
04-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Lmao Instead Of Reading Macbeth You Could Ask Wizzup? About The Whole Story. I'm Pretty Sure He Likes It Because He Has A Quote In His Essence Miner.

Yakman
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Lmao Instead Of Reading Macbeth You Could Ask Wizzup? About The Whole Story. I'm Pretty Sure He Likes It Because He Has A Quote In His Essence Miner.

rofl, that was me, it was my idea to put quotes at the start of scripts, wizzup asked for a good quote, i sent him my list of them, he chose the Macbeth one :p

Santa_Clause
04-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Lmao...Then I Guess I Was Wrong...You're The Shakespeare Genius ;)

Ejjman
04-10-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm just finishing up Act 5, Scene 3 in Romeo And Juliet, and I find it to be quiet good. I'm reading the now-a-day english version, and it is pretty good. I have the sillilique's (SP?) though...

~alex~
04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
We're studying Macbeth at school at the moment.. To be honest I'd rather not do Shakespeare at all. There's far better stuff out there.

Secet
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Where do you study? What country?