PDA

View Full Version : The MASS Ban(d) Wagon

shanghai88
02-23-2012, 04:45 AM
I'm new to runescape. I enjoyed this web browser game from the first day I played 5 months ago. It's mindless fun for hours, however I felt a bit strange that people never talked back in a online game, than I found out about bots mainly due to people asking me if I was one constantly, so I googled it and here I am.

I was a member by the time of the nuke, and let me tell you.. it was night and day. People started to talk to you when you type anything noobish stupid and I found most current tips that you probably won't find anywhere else which helped greatly. More fun indeed!

Now that reflection is about to make it's return to ruin the game once more. I just know that a lot of places I frequent now is going to be full of bots fighting for the resources in an unfair and abusive advantage.

So, with hopes beyond hope, I googled once again and found the history of Jagex and botting. It seems that after every nuke a mass ban follows. and the way they do it is very interesting.
Back in 2006 (aryan)
1. they nuke the bots.
2. they allow Aryan to return
3. Mass Ban

1. I had to think about this for a second and than I realized their strategy. They would look for the amateur gold farming accounts that sat idle between the nuke and the return date of the bots they are going after. After the day of released updated bot than jagex would look for the discrepancy and irregularity in loggin hours, those account that went from 0 - 12+ hours a day would be on the perm ban list.
2. Optiums the finishing blow is cocked and ready to finish off what the first nuke started (at least for awhile). Jagex will Double check their mass ban list for those account that went from 12+ hours back to 0.

3 BAM! Mass Ban

Thoughts?

Caotom
02-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Honestly, as much as the entirely legit players hate us, bots are part of what keeps the rs economy ticking over. The prices of raw materials and low level stuff would sky rocket should every single bot be banned.

I really kind of doubt that they will allow reflection bots to make an entirely new return, they have had way to much success in court for that to happen.

Colour bots (SRL), however, will almost never go away. They can't nuke us without making the screen look like a rave with flashing colours and morphing objects.

I do agree though that it seems like a logical strategy to look for accounts that come back in suspicious timing to the reflection bots and flag them for possible botting (flagged accounts are monitored more closely and it is far harder rot bot successfully).

~Caotom

shanghai88
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Honestly, as much as the entirely legit players hate us, bots are part of what keeps the rs economy ticking over. The prices of raw materials and low level stuff would sky rocket should every single bot be banned.

I really kind of doubt that they will allow reflection bots to make an entirely new return, they have had way to much success in court for that to happen.

Colour bots (SRL), however, will almost never go away. They can't nuke us without making the screen look like a rave with flashing colours and morphing objects.

I do agree though that it seems like a logical strategy to look for accounts that come back in suspicious timing to the reflection bots and flag them for possible botting (flagged accounts are monitored more closely and it is far harder rot bot successfully).

~Caotom

I agree, some bots are "necessary evil" to keep Runescape going and act as a counter balance to the merc clan's price manipulation. Here at simba the self regulation is superb. Here is all about responsible scripting, it's more catered towards learning then any other sites by far. My issue is with gold farmer owned bot sites who encourages it's user to bot as many accounts as possible just to collect them back one day so they can sell them. You end up with a computer running 10+ gold farming bots each, therefore destroy the balance of the game. We've all seen it, most of us who bots can't and won't agree with such madness. Unless Reflection regulate themselves here like Simba, I say death to all reflections.

oligofren
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
jagex banning policy never was based just on suspicious activity but rather on doing something that humans unable to do, for example when playing runescape clicking pixel with coordinate (243, 451) every 3.2 seconds for 10 minutes, or clicking within a box with even distribution of clicks; changes in gameplay pattern can easily be attributed to other factors, however, such change can initiate more detailed account investigation and only if it finds some unhuman clicks then such account will be banned

plekter
02-24-2012, 02:59 AM

~CaotomFALSE. Botting introduces massive amouts of GP into the game in many different ways. Without it, prices would be just "right" for ALL of the players. There are massive amount of people with insane amount of GP in hand thanks to botting, what it does it rises the price of these same low level stuff that you were talking about up in the sky. Every item has a threshhold price that decides whether this particular person will buy it from the GE or not. If the prices are up and people are just not willing to toss the GP out for it, they will obtain the item themselves. In return it will drop the market value down until it sits at this sweetspot that is manipulated entirely by the legit players.