PDA

View Full Version : best free security??

The Killer
03-04-2012, 08:29 PM
was wondering what the best free secruity there is atm, i am currently using avast.

[XoL]
03-04-2012, 08:30 PM
You are using it.

RISK
03-04-2012, 08:36 PM
For easily the best detection and defense, Comodo. It just isn't as good as other options when it comes to malware that is already on the system. But it is great when it comes to detecting and preventing any malware infecting the system.

Malwarebytes for removal of malware and I believe spyware too in the paid version of Malwarebytes, which they give you a very generous free trial of.

Spybot-S&D for spyware removal.

If you still have any malware after using most programs, you should go to a white hat community and ask them for help after providing a HJT log or whatever program communities use these days.

Daniel
03-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials + MalwareBytes Free.

Not a resource hog, and best combination.

one1988
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I use malware bytes and exterminate it( paid but free version can detect anything including rats and fud)

YoHoJo
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials!

nokkasiili
03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
New operating system

Bam Bam
03-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Try this scanner when in need of cleaning: http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

It worked Amazing when I had to clean a computer.

-Bam Bam

P1nky
03-06-2012, 02:56 AM
AdAware!

bg5
03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm glad Comodo user. It gives you total control over system. Nothing can connect to internet/change registry/open process without your permission.

cycrosism
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
For easily the best detection and defense, Comodo. It just isn't as good as other options when it comes to malware that is already on the system. But it is great when it comes to detecting and preventing any malware infecting the system.

From what I have experienced, when the comodo auto updater runs my CPU usage will jump up to over 90 percent for more than 10 minutes, causing my whole system to lag a lot and leaves me pretty much just sitting here waiting for it to finish.

Avast free anti-virus is all I need to keep my system protected.

Spybot-S&D for spyware removal.

I do use this as well, works great.

weeps
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Im using Microsoft Security Essentials, works great. used F-secure before (had to pay) but wasnt that good.

footballjds
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials + MalwareBytes Free.

Not a resource hog, and best combination.

this is the best option.

shadowmarkus
03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I use malware bytes and exterminate it( paid but free version can detect anything including rats and fud)

It obviously can't detect FUD, since FUD stands for fully undetectable...................................... .................

Home
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Brains. This is not trolling. Just check what you download / accept you'll be fine :)

~Home

The Killer
03-07-2012, 05:07 PM
lots of replies :) :D.. conclusion so far malware bytes , avast and mircosoft essensials seem sto pop up alot, had essensials in the past. ill install malware bytes next time im bored.

alexes
03-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Microsoft security essentials and avanst are so good, but if you know chinese you can try to 360 i really like it :P

ewarrior
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Does no one use AVG anymore? Do you recommend I get rid of it and get just Micosoft Security Essentials and AMB?

The Killer
03-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Does no one use AVG anymore? Do you recommend I get rid of it and get just Micosoft Security Essentials and AMB?

by the looks of it no, its up 2 u if u want to switch though i do recommend it, like someones already said as long as your careful u should be okay.

davis_junior
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I think a firewall is much more important than antivirus software. It's extremely easy to make viruses undetectable. With an interactive firewall, you can allow or deny any incoming or outgoing connections. Running only antivirus software can easily allow viruses through.

It's not free but I have always used ESET Smart Security.

wister1
03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
i actually use AVG, not the free version though, i used to had eset which is also very good and of course avast is good has well

Mr Stoj
03-13-2012, 05:01 AM
avast or avg,
to be honest though if you think you have a virus and you havent formatted in 6 months i usually just format and put in a new windows.
love the feel of unclogged win 7

The Killer
01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials together with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It's lightweight, but works great! Haven't been infected once since I got this PC, ~4 years ago.
Bit of a dig tbh, But this reminds me I need to get avast back :P

Rezozo
01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
AVG and Avast.
~Rez

ShawnjohnSJ
01-11-2013, 01:28 AM
IMO, Avast!

I've been using it for a while and it does it's job good. I upgraded to Avast! Internet Security for like $20 and I recommend that also, it has a lot of nice features.

Kasi
01-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Vipre on my laptop
Avast on my desktop

Turpinator
01-11-2013, 05:23 AM
I think a firewall is much more important than antivirus software. It's extremely easy to make viruses undetectable. With an interactive firewall, you can allow or deny any incoming or outgoing connections.
Many viruses and RATs/unwanted programs will inject themselves into existing processes (such as your browser or explorer.exe) so that you just think its chrome that wants to connect back home.

Anyway. I use Malwarebytes. its pretty nice. Ive never had problems with it or viruses (that i know of). but then again, i dont download/run things that i dont trust.
I like MalwareBytes because its not like avast or avg where its like 'omg update me!' or 'omg omg i just updated look at me!' its just stays out of the way and isnt too vocal.

Prometheus
01-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Using Avast! and Malwarebytes. Both are good so far. I recommend these both

Ian
01-11-2013, 05:29 AM
I like MalwareBytes because its not like avast or avg where its like 'omg update me!' or 'omg omg i just updated look at me!' its just stays out of the way and isnt too vocal.

That is my only issue with Avast!, but I think it is to comfort people that it is still there :p

As an antivirus I like it, it even sandboxes things for me.

Silentcore
01-11-2013, 05:33 AM
I use norton 360 + malwarebytes.

bloopa1
01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
I would deffinatly give my seal of approval to avast! Im sure any of the suggestions here would be very good though

Mr[S]
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for bringing this back up I need to update my security!

Kyle Undefined
01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Vipre on my laptop

This made my day :)

On topic, I use VIPRE at work (of course :p) and nothing at home. Hardly use the laptop now days.

Ian
01-11-2013, 03:32 PM
This made my day :)

On topic, I use VIPRE at work (of course :p) and nothing at home. Hardly use the laptop now days.

The only reason I know about VIPRE is from your website :p

Is it good?

The Killer
01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Many viruses and RATs/unwanted programs will inject themselves into existing processes (such as your browser or explorer.exe) so that you just think its chrome that wants to connect back home.

Anyway. I use Malwarebytes. its pretty nice. Ive never had problems with it or viruses (that i know of). but then again, i dont download/run things that i dont trust.
Turn on silent mode? :P, I'v used malware bytes in the past. Not a real fan but cannot remember why :P

Kyle Undefined
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
The only reason I know about VIPRE is from your website :p

Is it good?

Haha, well that's a good thing :p It's a good program, but it's not free.

x x
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVG is best

footballjds
01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
The best antivirus in my opinion is an antivirus that uses the least resources while still providing real-time protection.

In my opinion on a windows OS that is Microsoft Security Essentials.

AVG, Avast, Norton(my LEAST favorite), Sophos, etc. in my experience use more resources then Security Essentials.
Macafee is a complete joke. No one would EVER use it if it wasn't already installed on a new system just purchased.

Malwarebytes(the free version without real-time protection) is the best malware removal tool there is(again in my opinion).

*source*
This is my field of work, hobby and bread winna.

Kyle Undefined
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
The best antivirus in my opinion is an antivirus that uses the least resources while still providing real-time protection.

In my opinion on a windows OS that is Microsoft Security Essentials.

AVG, Avast, Norton(my LEAST favorite), Sophos, etc. in my experience use more resources then Security Essentials.
Macafee is a complete joke. No one would EVER use it if it wasn't already installed on a new system just purchased.

Malwarebytes(the free version without real-time protection) is the best malware removal tool there is(again in my opinion).

*source*
This is my field of work, hobby and bread winna.

Malwarebytes isn't an actual anti virus. They are a removal tool. I agree with MSE though. It's pretty good, and I can't tell it's running.

AVG, Avast, Norton, and MacAfee are just horrible pieces of software.

footballjds
01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Malwarebytes isn't an actual anti virus. They are a removal tool...

didn't i say, "Malwarebytes is the best malware removal tool"? :p

Kyle Undefined
01-11-2013, 08:31 PM
didn't i say, "Malwarebytes is the best malware removal tool"? :p

Yes, you are right. I didn't fully read the entire sentence. :p

Gala
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
What I expirienced is that Avast is best for scantime. (I made some experiments in te past with own/public RAT, esn some FUD. If the RAT wont get updates avast is the fastest one updating their signatures.

albertossimus
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Pulling the plug is the best free security.

grats
04-12-2013, 06:09 PM
http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96603

not sure what this is in open source, really only open source virus protector worth anything is clamAV

denart5
05-14-2013, 08:01 AM
AVG, malwarebytes, spybot: search and destroy and use web of trust addon on firefox. Then you should be really safe.

Comodo
02-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Best free security is to throw out your router and drill holes in your hard drive and motherboard.

KeepBotting
02-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Best free security is to throw out your router and drill holes in your hard drive and motherboard.

You just bumped a thread that's been dead since 2013, quit spamming

Kyle
02-15-2016, 01:23 AM
You just bumped a thread that's been dead since 2013, quit spamming

Also, his name is that of a free antivirus software, kinda ironic Hah

KeepBotting
02-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Also, his name is that of a free antivirus software, kinda ironic Hah

Yeah, wonder if he knows that :p