PDA

View Full Version : Spider Man

Spider Pres
07-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Haha.. Thought the title would get your attention. Anyway, I wanted to see what you guys thought about the idea of real web shooters, to there you can shoot it at a tree, for example, and swing from it. I've been working on a design for quite some time now, and I wanted to see what you guys wanted to put in. I've tried using rubber cement and fishing line, (Worked well, not bio degradeable, doesn't dry instantly) and a couple others, and have gotten rather close. I need to to dry almost instantly, and be ably to hold almost double someones weight. Say, my weight, 113 pounds. Feedback?

riwu
07-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Even if the string/line doesn't break, how is it going to get stuck so firmly to the tree that it can withstand some 700N of weight? (and if it does, how are u going to take it off the tree afterwards?)

Spider Pres
07-01-2012, 07:04 AM
That's what I'm trying to find out. Why would I take it off the tree? But, to answer that, biodegradeable.)

Recursive
07-01-2012, 07:33 AM
That`s some crazy idea man, all I can say is gl!

Brandon
07-01-2012, 07:44 AM
LOL the physics on this thing is going to blow your mind! Not to mention the fluid mechanics if you say that it has to dry instantly.

I cannot imagine how it's going to stick to the tree upon impact.. That's going to require quite a large amount of force! Maybe a shotgun can help launch it but how are you going to swing to the next tree and have the previous line detach? What if the angle you swing at doesn't create enough momentum to get to the next tree and you end up parallel/vertical to the tree? You'd need some sort of reeling in mechanism.

Very very difficult unless I'm thinking too much as usual :S

riwu
07-01-2012, 07:57 AM
What if the angle you swing at doesn't create enough momentum to get to the next tree and you end up parallel/vertical to the tree? You'd need some sort of reeling in mechanism.
That would require some skills then, it would then be developed as a sport and ppl will train and master it to swing freely.

The biggest problem is that currently there is no such 'glue' that can stick so firmly, yet easily detached (u cant just leave them hanging there unless they degrade within hours/days).

The only possibility of this happening is a new discovery in the field of organic chemistry that allows us to synthesize such a material at a low cost.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Hm, complex idea as Brandon pointed out. Projection is an issue an so is detaching. Have it perhaps grapple the tree, or some sort of spikes that launch n dig into the tree? But still then the issue would be how much weight could it hold while you swing? As for swinging to the next tree, 3 bays each hand enabling 6 projections? looking like this ||| per hand |||. All I can think of :/.

P1nky
07-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Do you have a concept image of your idea :)?

Spider Pres
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll see what I can work on. You guys, This is why I have said Biodegradable. And, Scientists have found a way to replicate actual spider webs, but they are still mastering it.
What about something that hardens on impact? I don't want a grapple, but that was a good idea. I want something along the lines of spider-webs. They fit the description. They're stronger then Kevlar, Kevlar is stronger then steel.

Abu
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Is detaching really an issue?

You could just cut it from the source...

Brandon
07-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Is detaching really an issue?

You could just cut it from the source...

Think about that.. Cutting something that can hold twice your body weight just in time so that you can swing to the next tree? Very very hard.

Recursive
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Here is my idea:

The string is attached to a (small) pulley located on your wrist. This is mostly for absorbing some of the force of the swings so you do not detach your arm in the process. So the pulley will reel in some rope at a certain height in your swing so that the full force of gravity does not pull you all the way down and up again. Note that this will reduce the distance you are able to travel per swing.

The end of the rope will go through another pulley mechanism that will hold most of the slack and the very end of it will be attached to a sort of mechanical claw.

As you throw out your arms for each swing, a laser inside the claw will calculate the distance to any objects it is traveling towards and determine the diameter of the object or how grip-able the surface is. If any of these values are within the limit of the claws, it will then determine the best place to grab it and do so.

So this involves you mastering the act of throwing the claw device thing and basically being able to think on your feet (w8...). With great power comes great responsibilities

Ot/
You can also add a jetpack to the mix for lateral movement hence whatever is holding you up does just that and doesn't have to worry about the force of your body swinging up or down.

[XoL]
07-02-2012, 03:46 AM
Why create bio-degradable
Get an arm device that can shoot a grappling hook, put a pressure cannon with it and make it shoot faster than a bullet to pierce trees and after a timed period the hooks come out, on certain angle/time have the cable be cut and then shoot another one. (I would imagine you need to carry something on your back)

troll

chongc
07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Here is my idea:

The string is attached to a (small) pulley located on your wrist. This is mostly for absorbing some of the force of the swings so you do not detach your arm in the process. So the pulley will reel in some rope at a certain height in your swing so that the full force of gravity does not pull you all the way down and up again. Note that this will reduce the distance you are able to travel per swing.

The end of the rope will go through another pulley mechanism that will hold most of the slack and the very end of it will be attached to a sort of mechanical claw.

As you throw out your arms for each swing, a laser inside the claw will calculate the distance to any objects it is traveling towards and determine the diameter of the object or how grip-able the surface is. If any of these values are within the limit of the claws, it will then determine the best place to grab it and do so.

So this involves you mastering the act of throwing the claw device thing and basically being able to think on your feet (w8...). With great power comes great responsibilities

Ot/
You can also add a jetpack to the mix for lateral movement hence whatever is holding you up does just that and doesn't have to worry about the force of your body swinging up or down.

jetpack? hmm, if you had a jetpack.... who cares about webs anymore.

Spider Pres
07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Guys! I'm not Batman! (That would be cool as hell) http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/44048/564365_300580083351242_101198429956076_664060_9865 84987_n.jpg <-- THIS is something that it'll look like. Not exactly, but pretty fucking close.

Edit: Detaching isn't a problem.

xtrapsp
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
To go with the projection idea why not use the same concept as a paintball gun? Pressurised cans?

Vinyl Scratch
07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I'd go with xStrap, You could put them in your backpack, or something. so that way you have something to shoot it out with, as for the drying instantly, maybe something like lighter fluid? It dries pretty fast, and can be used to keep whatever you're using wet until you want it to be dry. and you could make it some sort of sticky substance, that won't stick when wet, but dry, it'll be sticky again.

Silentcore
07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Dude I look at this from every angle and don't see a solution..In my opinion: There will be a permanent bot nuke first before you can get your idea to work..

sslegal
07-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Awesome Idea! Hope you can make it work

Bennigan
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Would be awesome, but sounds as plausible as actually getting bitten by a spider and turning into spiderman. Have you tried using a grapple hook just for fun (wouldn't really have to same effect i guess, but still pretty bad ass).

Vinyl Scratch
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I have, actually, it worked, until I started swinging really fast, annnd.. I fell on my ass.

iBlank
07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I'd go with xStrap, You could put them in your backpack, or something. so that way you have something to shoot it out with, as for the drying instantly, maybe something like lighter fluid? It dries pretty fast, and can be used to keep whatever you're using wet until you want it to be dry. and you could make it some sort of sticky substance, that won't stick when wet, but dry, it'll be sticky again.

I would advise against carrying around a backpack full of lighter fluid...

Vinyl Scratch
07-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Lol, not a backpack full the the stuff, but it's in the canister with the "Web", to moisten it, and when it dries, it sticks.

Bennigan
07-11-2012, 03:42 AM
I have, actually, it worked, until I started swinging really fast, annnd.. I fell on my ass.

haha, thats why you need to make yourself some bat wings that you can glide with when you put your arms out ;)