PDA

View Full Version : Glossary of terms used in SRL

h4jgyvis
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Sometimes, when reading posts on the forum, I'd see a word or abbreviation that I didn't understand and then had to stop what I was learning and go searching for a definition. Therefore I decided to make this glossary so that people could look up words easily and quickly and then get back to whatever they were learning.

Antiban:
Procedures and functions that try to make a bot appear to be human-controlled in order to prevent your character from getting banned.

AntiRandoms:
Procedures and Functions that solve the random events that RuneScape uses to try to fool bots.

Array:
An arrangement of data in which individual elements may be located by a number called an "integer". For example: animal[0] = cat, animal[1] = dog, animal[3] = bird, etc...

Bitmap:
A bitmap is a two dimensional field of colors (in other words; a picture). These colors can all be the same, or they can be of different colors. Simba has functions that can create, manipulate and search for bitmaps.

Boolean:
Defines a variable, constant, or the result of a function as a result of a logic function that results in either a True or False.

Bot:
A program, such as Scar or Simba, that has been programed to play a game for the user in order to gain experience, gold, and/or skills. It's important to not that, while it can be used as a bot, Simba is not a bot by itself. In the same way that an eagle is a bird, but a bird is not necessarily an eagle.

Cases:
Provide a shorter and simpler way to write a piece of code where you have several possible conditions and want to do a different task in response to each individual condition.

Constants:
Constants are values that are used in a script that never change. They are usually declared at the beginning of the script.

DB:
Stands for "Deposit Box"; a box in Runescape that you can use to deposit items into, but not remove from, your bank account.

Deformable Template Models:
A way of defining a relationship between several points. Each of these points have a relative offset to each other, and may different in color, tolerance, area size and shape. A DTM generally consists of one Main Point, and several Sub Points.

DTM:
See: Deformable Template Models

Extensions:

Failsafes:
Something that stops a loop, function, process, or your entire script, if something goes wrong.

Function:
A series of commands that can be called by using the function's name. A function will return a result when it is finished running.

If..Then..Else Statements:
A function that performs a task if a specified condition exists. These also have the option to perform a different task if the specified condition does not exist.

Include:
Scripts containing procedures and functions that can be included in your scripts. They are located in Simba/includes/

Integer:
Defines a variable, constant, or the result of a function as a number.

Internal Commands:
Commands used inside of loops; including Break, Continue, and Exit.

Leech:
Benefiting from others' information or effort without offering anything in return, or making only token offerings in an attempt to avoid being called a leech.

Loop:
A script that performs the same task over and over again (in a loop) until told to stop. These can be in the form of Repeat...Until, While...Do, and For..To..Do.

MB:
Stands for "Main Bank"; a bank in Runescape.

MC:
Stands for "Main Chat"; the chat box in the lower-left corner of the Main Screen.

MI:
Stands for "Main Inventory"; the inventory box in the lower-right corner of the Main Window.

MM:
Stands for "MiniMap"; the small map in the upper-right corner of the Main Screen.

MS:
Stands for "Main Screen"; the main screen on which RuneScape is played, as opposed to the Minimap or the inventory box.

OCR:
See: Optical Character Recognition.

Optical Character Recognition:
These are functions that are used to read text from an image.

Pascal:
The language that Scar and Simba uses.

Procedure:
A series of commands that can be called by using the procedure's name. Unlike a function, a procedure doesn't return any data.

Regular Expressions:
A way to recognize strings of text, such as particular characters, words, or patterns of characters.

Reputation is what shows how respected you are in the community.

Resource Library:

RS:
Shorthand abbreviation for Runescape.

S.M.A.R.T.:
SMART Minimizing Autoing Resource Thing. This is a program that runs a Simba script Runescape in the background, allowing you to continue using your computer while the script is running.

Scar:
A program to perform repetitive tasks written by freddy1990 that predated Simba. Scar can be downloaded at: http://freddy1990.com/index.php?page=product&name=scar

Simba:
A program designed by the SRL community to perform repetitive tasks such as mouse movements, keyboard strokes and complicated sequence of events.

SQLite:
A program that stores data in a database.

SRL:
Stands for "SCAR Resource Library" or "SRL Resource Library", depending on who you ask.

String:
Defines a variable, constant, or the result of a function as a group of characters that can be treated as text, even if they only contain numbers.

Subversion Repository:

SVN:
See: Subversion Repository

Variables:
Variables are values used in the script that can be changed. They can be declared globally, at the beginning of the script, or locally, at the beginning of a function or procedure. Global variables can be used anywhere. Local variables can only be used in the function or procedure in which they were declared.

White Space:
Empty space, including spaces, tabs, and line & paragraph breaks.

I will add new words as I come across them. Also, if you see a work, phrase, or abbreviation that you think should be on here, or you have a better definition for one already on here, feel free to PM me about it.

Joe
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Abu made one of these

SeaBass
07-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I like it but I can't imagine a 4-post noob sauce would do this without some sort of plagiarism.

h4jgyvis
07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Abu made one of these

I searched for one first and didn't see one. Come to that; after I read your reply, I searched for posts made by "Abu" and got Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator. A glossary is helpful for those who are not so familiar with the vocabulary used in scripting. However, no glossary is helpful if it can't be found.

I like it but I can't imagine a 4-post noob sauce would do this without some sort of plagiarism.

Fair enough. A way of defining a relationship between several points. Each of these points have a relative offset to each other, and may different in color, tolerance, area size and shape. A DTM generally consists of one Main Point, and several Sub Points. was copied, simply because I haven't learned enough about Deformable Template Models to explain it in my own words. perform repetitive tasks such as mouse movements, keyboard strokes and complicated sequence of events was copied as well, because I can't think of a better or clearer way of putting it. A couple are blank because I haven't found good definitions for them yet. However, most of it was written by me.

As far as my postcount goes, I've been a member for all of a week now. Someday soon I hope to have a staggaring 121 posts under my belt so that we can be peers. :)

Le Jingle
07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
I think Joe was referring to this member abu_jwka (http://villavu.com/forum/member.php?u=83749), using "abu" as an abbreviation/reference (informal, usually indicating a positive prior meeting to the person). As well as the thread being referenced -> here (http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80473).

Nonetheless, you both have different terms, with the exception of some similar. It's good to see the effort though, for helping the inexperienced with unknown terminology. :) Perhaps both you, as well as abu_jwka might collaborate, then again, maybe not. Keep up the good work, but do try to search thoroughly next time! :>

Joe
07-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I think Joe was referring to this member abu_jwka (http://villavu.com/forum/member.php?u=83749), using "abu" as an abbreviation/reference (informal, usually indicating a positive prior meeting to the person). As well as the thread being referenced -> here (http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80473).

Nonetheless, you both have different terms, with the exception of some similar. It's good to see the effort though, for helping the inexperienced with unknown terminology. :) Perhaps both you, as well as abu_jwka might collaborate, then again, maybe not. Keep up the good work, but do try to search thoroughly next time! :>

Boom. Dis guy's good.

Main
07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
google: The search function or even the actual google.

h4jgyvis
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Ah, I see; acronyms. I searched for "glossary", which is what I was attempting to write here. And abu_jwka list is a very good glossary of common chat acronyms, but doesn't have much scripting vocabulary nor contain any definitions. Knowing that OCR stands for "Optical Character Recognition" is helpful, but doesn't tell me very much about what it does or is used for.

If you really think I'm being redundant though, just let me know and I'll stop working on it.

momotron
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Guys stop giving him a hard time, whenever i visit these forums all i see is established members shitting on newbies! Personally I like what you've done and I sure would have found this useful!

Flight
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM

Abu_jwka's thread has to do with general words/statements being abbreviated. This is mostly an explanation of technical terms.

You did a great job, h4jgyvis. Thank you. :)

[XoL]
07-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Great job man! I really like this.
+rep

Also woo 1500 posts :D.

Abu
08-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Hehe http://wikoles.com/st/wp-includes/images/smilies/sneaky.gif

Can't argue here, you offer explanations mate and I don't.

Good job :)