PDA

View Full Version : Vb.net...

Footy
08-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Vb.net... I've heard some cool things about it, is it worth learning? Would I ever use it?

eska
08-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Vb is usually frowned upon by programmers. It has the reputation of being 'for beginners'. Once you learn more language, I'm guessing you'd drop Vb and switch to c#, java or c++.

Footy
08-18-2012, 03:29 AM
For begginers eh? Sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the info!

NCDS
08-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Very easy to catch on, especially if you have some experience here as PascalScript and VB are quite similar. I would strongly suggest switching to C#.net once you understand the basics.

satkan
08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm learning programming (Haven't really had experience in programming before that.) with java. It isn't to bad of an idea to start with the harder ones (Java / C or something) i was told. The greater learning curve would result in better knowledge overall.

VastlySuperior
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
This might be a little bit off topic but why wasn`t vb6 or vb.net used instead of pascal for srl scripting? It would have made it soo much easier with the debug facilities build into vb and as stated, vb is easy to understand but so much more powerful than pascal.

Just a thought question I was asking myself when I started here.

x[Warrior]x3500
08-18-2012, 05:02 PM
well since i dont know if auto rune was created in Pascal script (i dont think so since it sent packets... but idk), when Kaitnieks created SCAR he probably wanted a language that was easy to learn, and even easier to program. If you look at pascal script, its a scripting language, which means its essentially set up to write scripts, so no extra work on the developers part. At the time pascal script provided an easy and quick way to get what he wanted done.
when simba was created, most of the srl community still used Freddy's continued SCAR program. since over the years we had gotten used to writing in pascal script, wizzup decided to follow suit and make simba compile pascal script scripts. this lead to minimal changes in srl, and was easier to migrate over to the new program.

also, with srl, its super easy to manually debug scripts. (and there is a debug feature in the newest simba)

Echo_
08-18-2012, 05:23 PM
"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." - Edsger Dijkstra

Kyle Undefined
08-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I started off with VB.Net programming, once I got the basics down and the logic, I switched to C#. VB is great for learning, and for beginners, it's easy to read and understand what's going on. C# is great for learning a strict language.