PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Knife

Neznam
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Im in europe on vacation and got a butterfly knife as a present from my grandfather.

Now, I've been searching the legality of this knife, since I live in Canada, and it says it's illegal but also some are legal. Now I'm confused and wouldn't want any trouble for trying to import something that is illegal but also cannot turn down this gift as it has sentilmental value to it.

Now my question, if anyone knows, would it be ok if I put it in my luggage, and when I arrive there, in my decleration, to mention I have it, then if it's illegal let them just take it away without having any trouble?

or Does anyone know if this is actually legal? i know its not in the Us.

NKN
10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Spring knives and gravity knives aren't allowed in Canada.

Gravity Knife being a butterfly knife. Sorry bro, it's illegal.

The Criminal Code of Canada definition of a "prohibited weapon"
""prohibited weapon" means
(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or
(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;"

P1ng
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
You can always give it a go. If you are open and honest about how you recieved it and the reasons you are trying to bring it into the country they may let you keep it. But worst case senario, they will take it off you. As long as your are open and honest no bad can come from trying to bring it in with you - assuming your intentions are not to cause harm with it.

Neznam
10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
You can always give it a go. If you are open and honest about how you recieved it and the reasons you are trying to bring it into the country they may let you keep it. But worst case senario, they will take it off you. As long as your are open and honest no bad can come from trying to bring it in with you - assuming your intentions are not to cause harm with it.

This is exactly what I thought. I could give it a try and mention it when I get there that I do have in my possesion it, and it was a gift and my only intentions are to keep it as a souvenir. Then if they still say no, Id tell them to confinscate it.

I just wouldn't want to be charged with anything, that's what I'd be worried about. But technically I'm not trying to smuggle it in, if I say I have it.

As for legality, I'm only asking because some have mentioned there are excseptions and some are allowed.

cause
10-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Just stuff it in your luggage and don't say anything. I brought back multiple butterfly and switchblades back from mexico with 0 problems. If they search your luggage at the border or something, then you can mention it (casually, as if nothing is wrong).
EDIT: If you tell them or they find it, it will be confiscated...100%

footballjds
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Put it in your luggage(that's getting checked into baggage NOT YOUR CARRY ON)
It will get through security without any issues. Do not mention it.

Silentcore
10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
You can always go to the airport with a picture on your phone and ask the main guards there if this is legal to take..

litoris
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Put it in a metal case and/or under some electronic equipment, preferable a laptop. Their scanners can't do shit when there's too much to look at.
I managed to bring a bottle of water into two separate international flights to the US by having it covered with phone, laptop and ipod chargers. Not that I'm a terrorist or anything :p

The Killer
10-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Put it in a metal case and/or under some electronic equipment, preferable a laptop. Their scanners can't do shit when there's too much to look at.
I managed to bring a bottle of water into two separate international flights to the US by having it covered with phone, laptop and ipod chargers. Not that I'm a terrorist or anything :p

Don't do this with a knife unless u want to have 5 machine guns pointing at your head if they find you. I agree with eh picture on phone idea, see what they say make sure your explaining your reasons for wanting it etc, if they say no they you can let your grandfather look after (thats me presuming he doesnt live in canada) it or something. Letting them have it is a waste :/

[XoL]
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Put it in baggage not your carry on, and trust me you will be fine.

I brought back foreign fruits and vegetables before, those are 100% banned in America and have never been caught try not to mention it unless they are specifically looking in your bag.

Neznam
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

My dad decided he was going to carry it in his luggage when he flies the day after me. It's a present and I really want to keep/have it.