PDA

View Full Version : User tagging

Kyle Undefined
12-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I know Hobbit said he was working on the next VB version, so I figured I'd throw this out there as an idea to add.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733

Basically it allows you to "tag" users like twitter does. If I wanted to "tag" Hobbit in a post, I would do @Hobbit; and it would appear like Hobbit (http://villavu.com/forum/member.php?u=490) so.

The tagged user gets a notification they were tagged in a post and allows them to see which one. The car forum I'm apart of does this and it's VERY, VERY useful in discussions.

footballjds
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
i know hobbit said he was working on the next vb version, so i figured i'd throw this out there as an idea to add.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242733

basically it allows you to "tag" users like twitter does. If i wanted to "tag" hobbit in a post, i would do @hobbit; and it would appear like hobbit (http://villavu.com/forum/member.php?u=490) so.

The tagged user gets a notification they were tagged in a post and allows them to see which one. The car forum i'm apart of does this and it's very, very useful in discussions.

really want this

Flight
12-18-2012, 03:23 PM
This sounds handy, I'm all for it.

DannyRS
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Defo Sounds Great :)

xtrapsp
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Didn't Dynamite suggest this before..

Ashaman88
12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
+1 pretty please

masterBB
12-18-2012, 04:33 PM
hmm, wouldn't people abuse it?

DannyRS
12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

@masterBB, how do you mean? :)

footballjds
12-18-2012, 04:39 PM

I'm assuming blocking someone would remove the notification from abusers. but this does raise a valid point. Hobbit won't want a notification from spam-leacher-extraordinaire

masterBB
12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
@masterBB, how do you mean? :)

tagging wizzup or higher members every time someone has got a simba problem.

xtrapsp
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
tagging wizzup or higher members every time someone has got a simba problem.
Sounds like something to do on April fools

footballjds
12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
make tagging available to certain ranks?

xtrapsp
12-18-2012, 04:57 PM

SSRL only (Admins and mods can't do it)

Olly
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
"@Wizzup @Coh3n @NCDS @Kyle_Undefined @Flight @BraK @hobbit @Allotherdevs/mods!

help my simba wont work it highlights this line "Smart_Server := 26" help plzzz@!!!"

Yeah.. that could be a problem lol

The Killer
12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
"@Wizzup @Coh3n @NCDS @Kyle_Undefined @Flight @BraK @hobbit @Allotherdevs/mods!

help my simba wont work it highlights this line "Smart_Server := 26" help plzzz@!!!"

Yeah.. that could be a problem lol

make it jrs+
problem = solved :D
as we don't have many active idiot jrs...

Mat
12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Well your active aren't you steven hehe ;) <3

Like the idea though :P
Mat

Sin
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Srl+ imo.

Chris!
12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Support this!

Would need a minimum rank to use, and maybe an option to disable you being tagged in threads (for staff).

Justin
12-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Or simply give someone the ability to disable being Tagged?

P1ng
12-20-2012, 07:32 AM
+1 although I agree with the disabling tagging for some people/minimum requirement to be able to tag people.

Le Jingle
12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Just a thought, but perhaps only being able to tag people in a shared Community Social Group? Maybe then, more activity could be raised in the Community area + it somewhat acts as a limitation to the whole who can tag who rules/regulations.

Again, just a thought, I'm just as open to the previous suggested ideas too! :)

Cheers,
Lj

Chris!
12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Just a thought, but perhaps only being able to tag people in a shared Community Social Group? Maybe then, more activity could be raised in the Community area + it somewhat acts as a limitation to the whole who can tag who rules/regulations.

Again, just a thought, I'm just as open to the previous suggested ideas too! :)

Cheers,
Lj

It would be a slight hindrance to people who wish to troll through the use of this tagging system. Anyone can go into a group that the person they want to tag is in and just join freely and tag away. There's always work-arounds to fix this, though! ;)

Sir R. M8gic1an
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I doubt the abuse would be huge. People who can't get things to work won't always know the staff's name and they might have some respect as well. Besides, Wizzup probably already reads every thread in simba section, so it wouldn't really cause that much harm.

I'd say just give it a go before implementing any restraints and then if we find we need some we'll know how and why and where to implement them ;)

~RM

Rezozo
01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Could you not just limit the amount of tags you can do a day? Or maybe limit it by only 1 tag of a certain user a day etc etc.

Would be useful if used properly.
~Rez

Hobbit
01-08-2013, 01:18 AM
The only developer of a user tagging system has outrageous licensing fees ($65 for 3 months) for the full version. So on the new forum I have implemented the lite version. Unfortunately this only allows you to restrict based on forum category. So user tagging (ie @hobbit; ) is restricted to SRL Member category and higher. However, this mod also include a nice feature that also notifies you if someone has quoted your post, that is implemented on all categories.

Format is @<username>;
I turned on requiring ; at the end becayse if you had a multiword username, such as "Just Hobbit's Test Account Ignore Me", since "Just" is another users username, it picks up the just and links to him. Having the semicolon at the end tells it when its done so it doesnt incorrectly tag.

Le Jingle
01-08-2013, 01:37 AM
The only developer of a user tagging system has outrageous licensing fees ($65 for 3 months) for the full version. So on the new forum I have implemented the lite version. Unfortunately this only allows you to restrict based on forum category. So user tagging (ie @hobbit; ) is restricted to SRL Member category and higher. However, this mod also include a nice feature that also notifies you if someone has quoted your post, that is implemented on all categories.

Format is @<username>;
I turned on requiring ; at the end becayse if you had a multiword username, such as "Just Hobbit's Test Account Ignore Me", since "Just" is another users username, it picks up the just and links to him. Having the semicolon at the end tells it when its done so it doesnt incorrectly tag.

Sounds like a cool feature, thanks in advance! :)

Ashaman88
01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Yeah nice work hobbit - silly the fully version is so expensive :(