PDA

View Full Version : Jagex "Crackdown"?

Deni_mulic
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Over the last couple of weeks we've had a sudden increase in reports of people apparently using 'bots' to play the game automatically (which is in breach of Rule 7). Firstly, we want to let all our honest players (and that's the vast majority of you) know that we are aware of this problem, and that we are taking immediate steps to tackle it. We currently ban about 8000 accounts every week for trying this sort of cheating, and for a long time that kept things under control. Things have clearly moved on, however, and that is no longer enough, so we are in the process of upgrading our detection and prevention systems. We also have logs of historical activity, so we'll be able to make sure that dishonesty doesn't pay. Please bear with us while we sort it out! There are also ways you can help us, so please read on.

What's happening is more complex than it first seems. What's actually going on is that the VAST majority of the level-3 characters you see playing the game repetitively and not talking to anyone, are actually people from countries such as China and Korea, who are trying to collect RuneScape gold to sell for real world money (obviously against the rules). Some of them aren't even using bots, they are just playing the game very repetitively with a single-minded purpose to collect gold. These people have no interest in playing the game properly, and therefore don't care if they get banned. The final effect is the same, though – it spoils the game for everyone else.

We can (and do) ban them - including using IP bans - but they still find ways to make accounts. We seized 6 billion in RuneScape gold by banning real-world traders last week! Unfortunately, these people are obliged to work such long hours and are paid such low wages that if even a tiny fraction of gold makes it to the market, those running the sweatshops will be encouraged to continue. This is why we are now further increasing our efforts.

So how to stop it? The answer is clearly to tackle the black market. As long as there is the potential to make money, they won't stop trying, even though it damages the game for everyone else. Of course, if nobody spent real world money on RuneScape gold these unwelcome groups would just switch to a different game.

Therefore, we are going to be cracking down HARD on people who breach Rule 12 (no real world trading). We can catch people who break this rule, because we have a sophisticated trade monitoring system and we can trace suspicious activity all the way back to the original bot accounts.

If you break Rule 12 and buy RuneScape gold you are directly funding this problem. You are funding underground gangs who run Chinese sweatshops, and creating the black market which causes this botting problem. Therefore, this rule will now be enforced as a priority, with no second chances. If you break Rule 12 and we catch you, then you will not only lose the money you spent, but also your entire account. Obviously, we will always be careful to make sure nobody is banned in error.

Finally, we have noticed some 3rd party sites, which call themselves 'fansites', but then advertise black market trading sites. This will no longer be tolerated. By running such advertising these sites are directly supporting these gangs, and are thus causing the botting problems they then complain about! We don't consider sites that encourage our players to break the rules and endanger their own users to be 'fansites'. (i.e. They're advertising things to their users, which, if the advertising works, will serve to get their users banned!) We consider them cheat sites, and they will be treated accordingly. True fans of the game don’t encourage cheating!

This brings us to the last point. HOW YOU CAN HELP! You can help us by:

1. Using the in-game 'report abuse' facility to tell us about players you see breaking rule 7. Of course we're not going to ban anyone just on the basis of a player report and will always thoroughly check them ourselves, too - but such reports still help us know who we should be checking up on.

2. Boycott any corrupt 'fansites' which advertise RuneScape gold for sale. There are plenty of genuine fansites out there who don't support cheating in this way, and we fully support those sites. Use those ones instead. Also, don't advertise, link to, or talk about any of these corrupt fansites. Obviously, if they stop supporting cheating, you can start using them again.

3. Under absolutely no circumstances buy RuneScape gold/items for real money! Doing so causes this whole problem, and we'll ban you if we catch you doing it.

The number of honest players still far, far outweighs the tiny minority causing trouble. Now we’re on the case you can be sure we’ll have this sorted out asap.

----------------------

Ya that'll stop us...For like 3 seconds.

Meanage
05-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Yep, me and alex and RK were just talking about this. when was the last time anyone here funded chinese gangs? Never, I think this will affect us though, xfering to mains or selling mills will be risky now but honestly, Im glad Jagex has done this, its been in my mind for a while wondering why the dont do or mention the things said in there. I admire whoever writes those, very well worded and imformitive, about 5 mins after this I traded 2500k for 3 feathers to a friend but meh, atleast I actually thought twice about it.

I hope Sythe goes down and takes the scamming leachers with it

GoF
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
sythe.org wont go down anytime soon.. Because jagex cant access the site because of the UK block, and if they proxy there they cant use the stuff they find for evidence or something, not sure though.

Deni_mulic
05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
It doesn't say anywhere u cant use a proxy to get information, it just makes u anonymous

me_ntal
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
THis wont affect the people who auto correctly, but yeah for the moment i wouldnt advise trading.

Just for the fun of it im going to step up my autoing by 3 fold running two computer with a virtual machine on each each with an army of 10 runnning a willow cutter

Mr.Klean
05-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Basically i would suggest stocking up items for now, because i know trading will most likely get you caught. Also remember to delete you UIDs regularly!

~alex~
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Basically i would suggest stocking up items for now, because i know trading will most likely get you caught. Also remember to delete you UIDs regularly!

Loginplayer; now deletes uids for you, super handy :)

stupedspam
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
This will not effect those who auto Corectly (no lvl 3s with defalt clothes) as for trading I agree with those above about stocking up... An Idea for tradeing is trade over a weeks time... Not to woried about my charaters because I follow all the rules of autoing...Time has come for those who don't know how to auto!

joshie
05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
"You are funding underground gangs who run Chinese sweatshops"
HA HA HA@!@!!@!@!@! made me lol irl

tarajunky
05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Frankly, I don't believe this post by Jagex.

If I was a Chinese worker in a sweatshop farming RS gold, the I CERTAINLY wouldn't sit there and hack away at yews with a bronze axe. I would get a rune axe and get logs 10 times faster. It makes no sense whatsoever for a real person to use a bronze axe. And yet, if you go look at some of the heavily populated areas, there will be 20 bots all hacking at the yews with bronze or iron axes, and MAYBE 1 player (without default clothes, usually) using a rune axe.

If anyone can explain why a Chinese gold farmer would not upgrade their axes as soon as possible, I'll change my mind. But I don't think anyone can because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Esteban
05-01-2007, 04:17 PM
they aren't allowed to buy rune axes? I'm sure that all the money any account used for sweatshops goes to the owner, none going to the runner of the account. and with rune axes being 20k each, and who knows how many workers, say, 100, if not more, that 2m just to provide rune axes, and the sweatshop owners could probably care more about the 2m, because it's going to be their money, then providing the workers with rune axes. But then there is chopping logs faster with rune... so meh.

omgh4x0rz
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I can't believe the sweat shop owners are that retarded though. It is simple business to know that investing 30k on rune axes will actually end up being more efficient and making you more money in the long run.

The only reason I can see for not buying rune axes is if their characters get banned so quickly that they often don't have enough time to make the rune axe pay back for itself.

arti
05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I think I laughed during that whole news post...

"We're going to crack down on bots" - So you havent tried for the past year or so? So dumb... why would you have a rule in the report abuse button but not enforce it? Ive heard people getting banned for bots/macros... but I havent heard MORE than 10 people say so.

Just HOW common is getting banned? O_O

RudeBoiAlex
05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Loginplayer; now deletes uids for you, super handy :)

REALLLLLLLY SICKOOOOOOOOO + REP FOR TELLING ME THT TY

Jack
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
i think the "underground runescape gang" is a lie so noobs dont go searching for bots and get keylogged

Deni_mulic
05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
they aren't allowed to buy rune axes? I'm sure that all the money any account used for sweatshops goes to the owner, none going to the runner of the account. and with rune axes being 20k each, and who knows how many workers, say, 100, if not more, that 2m just to provide rune axes, and the sweatshop owners could probably care more about the 2m, because it's going to be their money, then providing the workers with rune axes. But then there is chopping logs faster with rune... so meh.

They're reffering to the tons of people at green drags in mems
they're on every world with 3 items killing greens 24/7 and have no stats except melee

dudesareus
05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
We can (and do) ban them - including using IP bans

That scares me!

Edit: put it in my siggy, plus a warning, but they did say they were going to update their macro catchers, so now I think the chances of being banned will be higher :(

halomod9
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
We can (and do) ban them - including using IP bans

That scares me!

Edit: put it in my siggy, plus a warning, but they did say they were going to update their macro catchers, so now I think the chances of being banned will be higher :(
lol if they do how come the rsdemon bots keep popping out every minute

Lalaji
05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
RSDemon has to stop

halomod9
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
rsdemon is giving macros a bad name. But tehre is one good thing. Lol most people in runescape think that the rsdemon macros are the only ones out there

IEatJ00erBaybees
05-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't want IP Ban..so I'm going to macro w/ Full Addy, then full rune, eventually.

Eugeniu
05-04-2007, 02:59 AM
sythe.org wont go down anytime soon.. Because jagex cant access the site because of the UK block, and if they proxy there they cant use the stuff they find for evidence or something, not sure though.

Woah, woah, woah, sythe has a UK block??????????

miken
05-04-2007, 06:28 AM
What's the UK block?

Also I dont see how yet another random event is gonna stop autoing, isn't that what every random event has been for so far?

Meanage
05-04-2007, 06:58 AM
There are farmers that cut trees, I met one in world 1(spoke some manderin and got his msn). He cuts trees on 14 accounts at once, there are 2 people to a computer, 1 sleeps and 1 plays so its 24hrs a day, he doesnt bot. Hes not lying either, he had a webcam, he was in a room full of people on computers, well dressed, good computers, tidy room with good lighting etc and compftorble chairs. He sells mill for 28rmb each to someone who sells them for twice as much to americans. He would sell them to Americans but has no way to get money to him unless its cash, hes been thinking about what it would be like if he could get twice as much for his mills for a while but doesnt really have a way.

I also had a convosation with a lvl 3 fishing in Draynor, in manderin. Didnt really get much out of her , I assume that was because she was using alot of accounts at once.

There are a hell of alot of Green Dragon farmers at the moment. I assume there are ess farmers and other things because why wouldnt there be? farming ess would be better than yews too.

Eugeniu
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Holy s*** dude, and right when i trained up all my japanese-named users.....
I just hope Jagex can tell the difference from chinese and japanese...otherwise, im screwed

jahiti
05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Oh well i macro correctly and im not selling rs money so thats not actually my problem :)