PDA

View Full Version : Google

Kevin
12-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Just a thought about the company...

They have already demonstrated AR glasses that can be used to analyze the world around you and grant you a real-life HUD. (eyes).
They have recently released a vocal universal translator. It has been demonstrated to (in real time) translate a human speaking English to text, translate that text to Mandarin, and then voice out the chinese text in THE ORIGINAL SPEAKER'S VOICE AND DIALECT. (Voice and ears).
They have cars that drive themselves with over 150,000 logged miles and no recorded accidents (except one was once rear-ended by a real driver, and it was the fault of the real driver). (Car)
They have the most advanced mapping system of the world, including underwater, using their own remotely-piloted submarines. (travel and submarine and satellites)
They recently released a commercially available human-brain based AI called Neural Networks that has not only the most advanced facial recognition in the world (by almost double the next-best accuracy, actually a 70% improvement), it also recognizes separate body parts and separate unique animals! This AI also is used for the new SIRI competition that is currently roughly equivalent and is looking to become much better in the near future and can distinguish individual voices, AND is driving the universal translator aforementioned. (individual personal recognition)
They have created the fastest internet service in the world, not to mention their own phones. (communications)
They have their own set of Green-energy power plants using some of the most advanced solar power cells (and wind energy and water energy and the list goes on and on). (power supply)
They have remotely pilotable robotic avatar for a variety of situations such as remote conferences and even simple every day tasks for some people to work from home... As well as a variety of other purposed robots around their buildings to do all sorts of things, such as even drink delivery. (humanoid robots)

Take that list and the ridiculous amount of other accomplishments and combine them together:

All they're missing is the ability for the car to become a plane (cars that become boats and/or submarines already exist) and more efficient self-sustainable energy in smaller formats and...

TLDR; We could easily see an actual Optimus Prime within 10 years. And it wouldn't even be unreasonable for any of us to buy him instead of a normal car knowing Google's typical price tag on everything they put out commercially. Yeah, you didn't see me reaching that logic with this, did you.

DannyRS
12-21-2012, 11:21 PM
For some to succeed others must first fail

all Google's experimental technology exploration is great imo, i look forward to their future technologies ;)

Flight
12-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Hard to believe they started working out of a garage, isn't it? More power to Google. :)

The Killer
12-22-2012, 12:19 AM
For some to succeed others must first fail

all Google's experimental technology exploration is great imo, i look forward to their future technologies ;)

yeah, Such a big company now. I don't think i'd be far wrong in saying 80-90% will use google in every internet session they have.
Like you say, they are very experimental and have a growing range of products. Looking forward to a next generation of technology to come from them.

DannyRS
12-22-2012, 12:24 AM
yeah, Such a big company now. I don't think i'd be far wrong in saying 80-90% will use google in every internet session they have.
Like you say, they are very experimental and have a growing range of products. Looking forward to a next generation of technology to come from them.

you reminded me of the Google Fiber Project,

best thing ever for the internets !

https://fiber.google.com/about/

rj
12-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Idea: WE NEED GOOGLE ENGINEERS TO COME PROGRAM ROONSCAPE BOTS FOR US! COLOR DUNG BOT ANYBODY? WHAT ABOUT A PKING B0T?

Neros
12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Idea: WE NEED GOOGLE ENGINEERS TO COME PROGRAM ROONSCAPE BOTS FOR US! COLOR DUNG BOT ANYBODY? WHAT ABOUT A PKING B0T?

roonscape google bot, acronym time, eh.

G4RS
Google 4 Rune Scape :norris:

exposed google as the worst goldfarmers there is.

Rincewind
12-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow, it almost seems like sci-fi but its so real at the sametime. I really like the idea of the glasses with the HUD, or the translator, those seem to be the most practical.

Kevin
12-22-2012, 10:48 PM
That's just the list of stuff that they've already proven to work...
They're to-do list includes stuff like an actual elevator to space, (they already built an actual bat-cave for one of the co-founders and his private projects), and they're working on true AI for their robots.

Rezozo
12-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Lol, they make 300-500 dollars per second...(300 or 500, I forgot).

Around 10 Billion a year?

They definitely do not lack funding.
~Rez

Kevin
12-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Look at Apple, they had albout triple Google's profits this year...
Apple also just makes their money by selling the same product with different screen sizes
Google does this stuff because they can and it's fun. Who needs profits when you have their toys? lol

Austin
12-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Man, Google's even in RuneScape. Chrome Goggles anyone?:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111206165751/runescape/images/b/b6/Goggles_Homepage.png

Maybe a hint at their AR goggles? ;o

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120905022330/runescape/images/8/81/Chrome_goggles.gif

Ian
12-24-2012, 01:14 AM
I hope Google still keeps things low cost for the consumer in the future, if that's even an option. They really are leading in actual product development versus just selling the same thing in different proportions (apple's strategy)

Bobarkinator
12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I hope Google still keeps things low cost for the consumer in the future, if that's even an option. They really are leading in actual product development versus just selling the same thing in different proportions (apple's strategy)

Look at Apple, they had albout triple Google's profits this year...
Apple also just makes their money by selling the same product with different screen sizes
Google does this stuff because they can and it's fun. Who needs profits when you have their toys? lol

Apple's strategy is also known as figuring out the product that consumers want and selling a crapton of them.

Also, Google does a lot of really sweet projects, they're doing a lot of cool things in their google x labs and such, but if you think they aren't as profit crazed as Apple you are having the wool severely pulled over your eyes

DeiJaiVui
12-24-2012, 01:09 PM
This is a very great list of what google has done. They'll have something alien within 5 years I bet.

Benny
12-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Google are a powerhouse of innovation.
Its weird looking back and thinking oh I was the one using google whilst everyone else was yahoo or askjeeves, man things were so much harder back then.. Haha

[XoL]
12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Honestly it is the way the run their business; that is the reason they are always coming out with new things.

They reward creativity, and value it far greater than trained education.

Fascinate
12-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Finally a google chrome browser for android and iOS! I think Google is a pretty awesome company and the stuff they come up with is just mindblowing!

chief herb
12-25-2012, 12:46 AM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111206165751/runescape/images/b/b6/Goggles_Homepage.png

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120905022330/runescape/images/8/81/Chrome_goggles.gif

woah thats trippy!

Fascinate
12-25-2012, 01:08 AM
woah thats trippy!

Yeah the glasses were a promo item if you logged in with the chrome browser! I don't think it's still going anymore though...

chief herb
12-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah the glasses were a promo item if you logged in with the chrome browser! I don't think it's still going anymore though...

i didnt mean the goggles were trippy, i meant how it might have been a "hint" at the AR goggles they have or whatevz

___
12-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Optimus Prime? I would think not...
The technological wonder it would be is just unfathomable.
Now, Bumblebee....

Benny
12-25-2012, 11:25 PM
i didnt mean the goggles were trippy, i meant how it might have been a "hint" at the AR goggles they have or whatevz

Yeah it's subtle stuff! Love google though. So useful!

Ubuntu
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM

I hope I can perform that emote irl with google glasses :D.