PDA

View Full Version : Net Ionic equations

King
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Is anybody good at net ionic equations? I seem to be struggling with them, I get the basic concept, a stripped down equation where only the ions who's charge changes is left. I've googled them and failed to find a guide with step by step instructions on how to do them examples ect, so anybody know them? :P

altec
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Could you give me a model on how do those equations look a like ( a pic or a paint sketch would be perfect )? Cause I can't find the exact translation into my language. I would be able to sort you out a guide onto those if they fall under bachelor's math course program.

Enslaved
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Net ionic equations: break the equation into its element parts, then check for state changes / electrons transfers, else strip the other elements not affected and reform the equation

King
01-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Could you give me a model on how do those equations look a like ( a pic or a paint sketch would be perfect )? Cause I can't find the exact translation into my language. I would be able to sort you out a guide onto those if they fall under bachelor's math course program.

It is where you write a chemical equation with only the ions/substances that change in charge, IE Sn+2->Sn+1 Would be included in the over all equation, however H->H would not be due to it not changing.

King
01-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Net ionic equations: break the equation into its element parts, then check for state changes / electrons transfers, else strip the other elements not affected and reform the equation

My only issue really is reaction patterns, how do I know which ones to use ect? They give us word problems, Ex) An acidified solution of potassium Dichromate is added to a solution of iron II sulfate.

How would I go about doing this?

Enslaved
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
ok, first balance the equation (check for oxidation numbers), then split each part of the formula up into sperate ions. copy the state symbol from the original equation,

compare both sides of the equation, if an ion stays the same ie they have the same state as before, and also check that it it has not undergone reduction/oxidisation (check the charge), that means it is a spectator ion and can be removed from the equation