PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital Caviar Green

ShawnjohnSJ
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Has anyone used this line of hard drives and have had any problems with it?

I've had the 2TB model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891) for about 5-6 months and it's already going bad. HDD diagnostic tests show 200+ sector errors and it was only 2% in, another diagnostic test from Western Digital themselves showed the error "Too many errors - contact customer support" and they said I had to get a replacement. I voided the warranty on accident a week or two before I started having troubles with it, go figure.

Friday I guess I'm getting a SSD.

Brain
01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
How did you accidentally void the warranty?

ShawnjohnSJ
01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
I damaged one of the seals while looking for a USB port to upgrade firmware (which I never found, apparently WD doesn't do firmware upgrades) , it was my stupidity. No big deal though, it was only $100 so I'm not worried about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this type of drive because I've only had it for ~6 months and I'm 99% sure I didn't do anything to make it start to go bad.

Chris Reborn
01-23-2013, 03:29 AM
i've had my 1tb green for around 2 and ahalf years now no problems. i would like to get an ssd to improve boot times but meh they're expensive and i don't feel like spending money on it atm. but mine is still running fine :( i also have a 160gb blue in another computer and thats about 2 years old and is also fine. maybe you just got unlucky :/

The Mayor
01-23-2013, 04:03 AM
I have the same 2TB WD HDD. I've had it in my build for about 5 months and no issues so far. Mind you I just use it for storage as I run the OS off my SSD. It sucks about the warranty. I guess SDDs are getting cheaper all the time anyway so it is probably worth investigating.