PDA

View Full Version : Great...

ReFLeX
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Short Version : Jagex is redoing the runescape engine and added another random event.

Long Version;
This month sees the launch of our next big game engine upgrade, which Andrew has been working on for the last 6 months. This will be the biggest upgrade to the underlying engine which runs the game since we launched the new 3D engine two years ago. This time the changes are more under the hood, which means (if everything goes to plan) you shouldn't actually notice a huge amount of difference!

The game engine upgrades this time are focused on allowing us to make the game bigger, and on providing support for all sorts of features we want to do in future updates. These are the sort of changes that you won't see immediately, but do allow us to do all sorts of things in the future which we've been dying to do, but couldn't previously.

However there will still be quite a few improvements that you will see immediately, such as:
# Much faster loading times.
# Faster, cleaner updates. When we update the game it should download more quickly.
# Greatly reduced memory use, resulting in a smoother game.
# Vastly improved sound compatibility. Sound should work on far more machines, and work on firefox, and sound will even work in low detail mode with no performance loss.
# Better sound engine, with the ability to play more simultaneous sounds at a higher quality, which we will be using to introduce ambient background sound effects at a later date.
# Improved chat filter.
# Far better anti-macro technology. Those cheats are in for one huge shock! :-)
# Better compatibility with dual CPU computers.
# Better compatibility with firewalls.
# Better language support, with support for accented characters in chat, etc.
# And of course lots of underlying changes to let us do more exciting stuff in the future...

So... to the quests. The first of this month's quests asks the player to persuade the Wise Old Man to come out of retirement for just one last battle. Many years ago, he was possibly one of the greatest legends in the world – the most powerful adventurer in the land. Fame and fortune can cost dearly, though, so he hung up his mystic boots and followed a more careful life, offering help to new visitors to Draynor Village and causing the odd, erm, panic in the local bank. The time has come for him to dust off his armour and once again stand in front of the crusading hordes – but this time with you at his side! Great rewards, humour and some fantastic cutscenes have made this a firm favourite in the office during the past few months – we hope you enjoy it.

The second quest brings new life to the struggle between Miscellania and Etceteria, with the player investigating odd sounds and sightings coming from beneath the Miscellanian soil. Perhaps some great evil has risen from the deep, or perhaps it's those pesky Etceterians up to no good. Those players who have helped out King Vargas before will be invited to do so again, this time potentially adding the Etceterians to their pool of resources. This in turn means that the island will have new resources available for the locals to collect – including flax, seeds and even bird nests! We will also be rebalancing the normal Miscellania rewards to be more generous and less demanding, so you might be surprised what they can offer you.

Other updates this month include some new random events which ask the player to Grab the Evil Twin. Players operate a winch and crane with a large claw attached to the bottom – similar to the games you can see at fairgrounds. We also see the player being whisked off to a large troll area having to prod the correct pillars, just like a giant pinball machine!

We are also adding some other smaller features to the game later this month, such as clockwork toys for your cats, teleportation tablets, making your own cups of tea and even chairs you can sit down in.

Have fun!

ub3r |<1||3r*1337*
05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
:S it sounds like a nice challenge! but i hope we dont have to update every single script ever created

driger1592
05-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Yay :) Honestly I can't wait. Hopefully I'm done with the tutorial project by that time (and if I'm not, well, some of you may be waiting a little longer). I really can't wait to script for this :D I would welcome it being harder to script for, certainly, but I hope that some of the lesser scripters out there are able to cope with it as well ;)

Brown
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Yey, botters go bye bye :D.

I think SRL will do fine with the new engine.

ub3r |<1||3r*1337*
05-02-2006, 09:47 PM
# Far better anti-macro technology. Those cheats are in for one huge shock! :-)

pfft... dont they know? bots will come back. but SRL will just stay... w00t

Pwnd
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
It's another empty threat, don't worry :)

WT-Fakawi
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
It is not the antimacro I am worried about. I am confident we are on the right track with this now and I will challenge you one of these days to spot one of my Players....

I think we are in for a different challenge though. Image what will happen if they change the look of the game, then we will be utterly lost. We will need to redo every bitmap, every walking proc, every font will need to be remasked etc etc etc....

Lets hope we are flexible enough to cope with such a challenge.

phantombmx
05-02-2006, 10:29 PM
well survive, even if we do go down for a day or two.. which i highly doubt.. we will be back up in less than a week i think.. long live SCAR and <3 SRL ;)

Sdcit
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
i they do change everything... then we'll have ALOT of work to do..

timmyboy
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Thats sucks...I hope we won't need to edit everything.

driger1592
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
There's only one potential problem that could really sting; if they changed the minimap from 2D to 3D.

Bebe
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe the new engine will involve an update of thier JDK, thus making all bots useless :)

They are not to conserned with Scar because we are still small, they are still trying to deal with the problem of Java bots. ;)

driger1592
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I suppose Megan is right ;) But there's still a chance. Of course the new engine will render all current java bots close-to useless (I can almost guarantee this). However, the way SCAR works, we will be able to continue autoing, even if we have to pause to get caught up with anything weird in the new engine.

Cheesehunk
05-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe the new engine will involve an update of thier JDK, thus making all bots useless :)

They are not to conserned with Scar because we are still small, they are still trying to deal with the problem of Java bots. ;)

Excactly what I was going to say!:p

The Prince of Randomness?
05-03-2006, 04:02 AM
A new age is dawning *looks off into the distance*

phantombmx
05-03-2006, 04:45 AM
shh driger, dont let them know ;)

JiveTonto@Gmail.com
05-03-2006, 07:34 AM
BRING IT ON! lol

c0de
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
bah who fucks them, teach me how to do masks and stuff and i'm on my way =D

The Un-Named
05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
It will take them MONTHS to redo the game engin. A MONTH max to get SRL working for runescape.

Freaking 6 months ago I was using ghost mouse on my main, full speed to get runes. Now I'm making freaking scripts that haven't got me banned to date.

What on earth can they do to stop us? Infact, I used a doggy ghost mouse script to BUY DEATHS from the mage guild ALL NIGHT doing the SAME THINGS.

Mutant Squirrle
05-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Guys guys ease up.... all the more he can do is add randoms and probably.... stand outside ur house and call u staulking you (watch out fawki & family) rofl seriously its probably for bots not scar i think scar has gone down in the ladder of issues

JiveTonto@Gmail.com
05-06-2006, 05:11 AM
yep aryan has seemed to have taken off with first time cheaters

XxKanexX
05-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Bring it on, Andrew.

Flyboy
05-07-2006, 06:42 AM
This time the changes are more under the hood, which means (if everything goes to plan) you shouldn't actually notice a huge amount of difference!
Very possible it won't even affect SRL... Even if it does, SRL is modular and easily fixed, not to mention we have more guys working on SRL than Andrew has making the new engine :p

Avaphi
05-09-2006, 04:04 AM
I think this is directed more towards java bot users... If we keep our community small, we can stay around for a long long time.