PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a good online computer backup system.

Mjordan
02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Lost my entire computer last year due to a HD crash, and apparently haven't learned my lesson yet. My mac crashed yesterday and really scared me, fortunately everything was ok once I rebooted.

I'm going to buy an external HD and back up with timemachine, but I'm just looking for some advice on a good online backup service. I've done some searching around and found sites such as mypcbackup, carbonite, etc. but would like some good advice from real people.

Let me know any good/bad experiences you guys have and what service you use. Thanks!

Keep in mind I only need to backup about 200GB currently. So price and flexibility are big factors.

grats
02-23-2013, 01:50 PM
crashplan was one of the better ones I've seen for personal use (I don't use it though)

you should be alright with the external hard drive.. especially on OS X the time machine really handles backups well and you can just grab whatever from whenever with a lot more ease than anything online.

only reason for online is if you have mission critical and are afraid of your house blowing up / fire etc

cause
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Google drive works fine for me, but I really only use it for school related documents, not pictures or video.

Mjordan
02-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Google drive works fine for me, but I really only use it for school related documents, not pictures or video.

Yeah Google Drive is great. I use that and Dropbox for any files I need access to for school, etc..
I'm looking for more of a complete HD backup for if my computer gets broken, stolen, crashes, whatever. Looks like I'll just start out by buying an external HD and using TimeMachine.