PDA

View Full Version : How to get Java (for RS) to install for browsers under WINE?

Bad Processor
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey there, I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 and I have Simba running fine under WINE. I've tried several different browsers including Firefox, Chrome and Opera and none of them seem to recognize the Java install I have. It works on my linux-native Chrome install, but none of the in-WINE browsers recognize that I have Java installed. Yes, I installed Java on WINE too, using the offline mode installer as the online one gave me 403 forbidden error during the installation.
Surely I can't be the only person trying to bot with a linux distro, can someone tell me how they got Java to work on their WINE browser? Thanks.
-BP

tealc
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Have you checked if those browsers have the have extension/plugin. I know firefox will sometimes disable java if its an older version.

this might be relevent http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86753&highlight=virtual+machine

Bad Processor
02-28-2013, 06:17 PM
They're not even recognizing that Java (the plugin) exists. It's j7u15, so the most recent.

Bad Processor
02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Please read the post. I have Simba running just fine, I just can't get Java to work and thus can't load RuneScape at all in the browser. The issue isn't to do with SRL. :S

grats
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Please read the post. I have Simba running just fine, I just can't get Java to work and thus can't load RuneScape at all in the browser. The issue isn't to do with SRL. :S

http://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97524&p=1182826

I setup one under fedora if you're still having problems.. through tests I came to realize anything ubuntu based is bloated, and in most cases fedora runs more light weight and faster.. it's sad to see a debian based product (ubuntu) go in such a wrong direction

it is very strange how yours doesn't work, I had lots of problems with java+wine+browser under all the Lubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu I tried, I'm not sure how they randomly started working.. fedora though was extremely straight forward, I hope it remains that way so I can keep the VM going

KingKong
03-02-2013, 03:59 AM
did you try changing the PATH variable or its equivalent in wine to include the path to java folder?

Sjoe
03-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Is your browser installed via wine?

the only way I get it working on the browser (not with wine) Is by using OpenJDK and IcedTea Plugin.
Don't think that simba is gonna work with this method.

Try jre v6 , I think that one works better.