PDA

View Full Version : Randoms, Organisation and FindTalk

Wizzup?
03-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi,

So I must admit I have not yet looked at the current state of the work, but I have a few messages.
First of all, if you need help with randoms (porting old ones over), I'm happy to help with any plugin problems, as is CynicRus (it seems).

Second, we now (unofficially, it's not really public yet) have a wiki: http://villavu.com/wiki/Main_Page

Please see http://villavu.com/wiki/Wiki/Brainstorm to find out where you can have SRL-007 pages; (perhaps just call it SRL-2007?). Something like SRL/SRL-007 for the main page; and SRL/SRL-007/TODO etc may be useful; and you can also have some basic instructions there. I don't know, maybe it's useful. Perhaps edit the brainstorm page first?

Right, and the last thing: randoms. I don't know how many of you worked on SRL six(!) years ago, but randoms back then were *hard*; they are aggressive and require you to constantly check for them.
First rule of thumb is this: If you don't click, no randoms will ever pop up. They ONLY happen when you actually DO something. And when you're doing something, you better check for randoms. The way we did it was by constantly looking for (Yellow) text of your name; if your name pops up, find the middle of the text (and a bit below the text) to find the random. Based on this, try to talk to him. If you're under attack, run; if you're lacking tabs, use them to determine *where* you're teleported to.

First now I'd say don't focus too much on solving the randoms, make sure you DETECT them all properly. Solve only the ones you have to, focussing on the more important parts now. Solving mordaut or other randoms is not a big priority right now.

That is all, hopefully it's useful. I'll be monitoring this thread if there are any questions.

Flight
03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I can skim some old content for these style of random events and compile a list of text they'd use when interacting with a player. Give me some time on this.

Below is possible on-screen NPC chat, only containing the player's name.

Drunken Dwarf

"I hates you (player name)!"
"Aww comeon, talk to ikle me (player name)!"

Evil chicken

"Flee from me, (player name)!"
"Begone, (player name)!"

Rick Turpentine

"Greetings, milord (player name)!" [Male player]
"Greetings, milady (player name)!" [Female player]

Cap'n Hand

"Ahoy there (player name)"

That's all I can find for now. :/

The Claw
03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Because the randoms always say PlayerNick, all we have to do is search the mainscreen for that at least once a second. That means putting it in pretty much every recurring loop there is in a script. Then we right click on where the text came from, and I think ChooseOption for whatever random it is and then handle them uniquely. (from memory)

Flight
03-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Because the randoms always say PlayerNick, all we have to do is search the mainscreen for that at least once a second. That means putting it in pretty much every recurring loop there is in a script. Then we right click on where the text came from, and I think ChooseOption for whatever random it is and then handle them uniquely. (from memory)

What if it's just another player chatting with us? Would that not trigger the anti-random to either start searching for the random or right-click the player saying our name?

Justin
03-02-2013, 02:08 PM
What if it's just another player chatting with us? Would that not trigger the anti-random to either start searching for the random or right-click the player saying our name?
From memory, the RS public chat was set to off, It would still show NPC's chat but not players chat

Ashaman88
03-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Sweet. Ill probably continue with updating the rest of the include and the help out with the randoms. Interesting to note I was still getting randoms while working on banking and all my char did was withdraw and deposit over and over. Thought that was strange.

Wizzup?
03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

It would, but it should not matter much. You won't click on them if the uptext is not from a random.

DannyRS
03-02-2013, 03:48 PM
It would, but it should not matter much. You won't click on them if the uptext is not from a random.

I had that conversation with WT-Fakawi, he said you guys just used to keep public chat option off ;) simplest solution is the easiest I guess, don't want to be rightclicking every time your name is on screen incase someone starts spamming you :p

Wizzup?
03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I had that conversation with WT-Fakawi, he said you guys just used to keep public chat option off ;) simplest solution is the easiest I guess, don't want to be rightclicking every time your name is on screen incase someone starts spamming you :p

Pretty sure we kept it on ``Hide'' and not ``Off', although both work. And Like I said, you don't right click if the uptext doesn't match. You just move your mouse to check the text. So unless someone names himself ``Cap'n Arnav'', you're fine. Or something just ``On'' with the autoresponder (if you don't rely on rs messages).

DannyRS
03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Pretty sure we kept it on ``Hide'' and not ``Off', although both work. And Like I said, you don't right click if the uptext doesn't match. You just move your mouse to check the text. So unless someone names himself ``Cap'n Arnav'', you're fine. Or something just ``On'' with the autoresponder (if you don't rely on rs messages).

You could check chat box for username too, if you left chat on, as randoms don't appear in that ;), no good or busy worlds tho,

What about if some player is determined, and see's a random appear, jumps on top of it, says something a random would say (including your username), then jumps off (I think player uptext is overrided by randoms?) he could repeat this several times to make you talk to a random that's not your own right?

Wizzup?
03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes, but you cannot avoid that.

Olly
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
If only ttimer worked :P

Le Jingle
03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Any way for the wiki to have an account for us to use to editing the wiki? Or would another approach be better (ex. making examples on a thread here and mentioning Wizzup?; )?

Also, I saw on the discussions wiki, indeed SRL-007 may be confusing, perhaps 2007 or another such indicator that it's not a continuing project after SRL-5 and SRL-6.

Hobbit
03-02-2013, 09:25 PM
The wiki is linked into the vB database so you use the same account here as the wiki.

What about SRL-OSR (Old school runescape) SRL-2007 or SRL-2K7 bugs me for some reason.

Le Jingle
03-02-2013, 10:03 PM
The wiki is linked into the vB database so you use the same account here as the wiki.

What about SRL-OSR (Old school runescape) SRL-2007 or SRL-2K7 bugs me for some reason.

Ah okay, I'll look at that later (to see if I can add to the wiki)
And, OSR, I like!

Flight
03-03-2013, 12:53 AM
If only ttimer worked :P

Yep, this is an instance in which threads would do us a world of good.

Ashaman88
03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
I think we should have a thread for just random development showing the status of both the solving and detecting of each random as well as who is working on them.

ex:

genie:
detection - not started
solving - jslkdf working on it

etc etc

Would help to see exactly what we each should focus on

DannyRS
03-03-2013, 08:14 PM
I think we should have a thread for just random development showing the status of both the solving and detecting of each random as well as who is working on them.

ex:

genie:
detection - not started
solving - jslkdf working on it

etc etc

Would help to see exactly what we each should focus on

what you waiting for then :p

Ashaman88
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM
what you waiting for then :p

:P I'll do it tonight if nobody has done it by then... I just don't know all the randoms from back then off the top of my head!