PDA

View Full Version : is jagex catching on?

geerhedd
05-11-2007, 01:12 AM
im sure you all have seen this if you have looked at the front page when you play RS, but anyways (taken fromrunescape recent news)

1 May 2007 - Bots and real-world trading

Over the last couple of weeks we've had a sudden increase in reports of people apparently using 'bots' to play the game automatically (which is in breach of Rule 7). Firstly, we want to let all our honest players (and that's the vast majority of you) know that we are aware of this problem, and that we are taking immediate steps to tackle it. We currently ban about 8000 accounts every week for trying this sort of cheating, and for a long time that kept things under control. Things have clearly moved on, however, and that is no longer enough, so we are in the process of upgrading our detection and prevention systems. We also have logs of historical activity, so we'll be able to make sure that dishonesty doesn't pay. Please bear with us while we sort it out! There are also ways you can help us, so please read on.

What's happening is more complex than it first seems. What's actually going on is that the VAST majority of the level-3 characters you see playing the game repetitively and not talking to anyone, are actually people from countries such as China and Korea, who are trying to collect RuneScape gold to sell for real world money (obviously against the rules). Some of them aren't even using bots, they are just playing the game very repetitively with a single-minded purpose to collect gold. These people have no interest in playing the game properly, and therefore don't care if they get banned. The final effect is the same, though – it spoils the game for everyone else.

We can (and do) ban them - including using IP bans - but they still find ways to make accounts. We seized 6 billion in RuneScape gold by banning real-world traders last week! Unfortunately, these people are obliged to work such long hours and are paid such low wages that if even a tiny fraction of gold makes it to the market, those running the sweatshops will be encouraged to continue. This is why we are now further increasing our efforts.

So how to stop it? The answer is clearly to tackle the black market. As long as there is the potential to make money, they won't stop trying, even though it damages the game for everyone else. Of course, if nobody spent real world money on RuneScape gold these unwelcome groups would just switch to a different game.

Therefore, we are going to be cracking down HARD on people who breach Rule 12 (no real world trading). We can catch people who break this rule, because we have a sophisticated trade monitoring system and we can trace suspicious activity all the way back to the original bot accounts.

If you break Rule 12 and buy RuneScape gold you are directly funding this problem. You are funding underground gangs who run Chinese sweatshops, and creating the black market which causes this botting problem. Therefore, this rule will now be enforced as a priority, with no second chances. If you break Rule 12 and we catch you, then you will not only lose the money you spent, but also your entire account. Obviously, we will always be careful to make sure nobody is banned in error.

Finally, we have noticed some 3rd party sites, which call themselves 'fansites', but then advertise black market trading sites. This will no longer be tolerated. By running such advertising these sites are directly supporting these gangs, and are thus causing the botting problems they then complain about! We don't consider sites that encourage our players to break the rules and endanger their own users to be 'fansites'. (i.e. They're advertising things to their users, which, if the advertising works, will serve to get their users banned!) We consider them cheat sites, and they will be treated accordingly. True fans of the game don’t encourage cheating!

This brings us to the last point. HOW YOU CAN HELP! You can help us by:

Using the in-game 'report abuse' facility to tell us about players you see breaking rule 7. Of course we're not going to ban anyone just on the basis of a player report and will always thoroughly check them ourselves, too - but such reports still help us know who we should be checking up on.

Boycott any corrupt 'fansites' which advertise RuneScape gold for sale. There are plenty of genuine fansites out there who don't support cheating in this way, and we fully support those sites. Use those ones instead. Also, don't advertise, link to, or talk about any of these corrupt fansites. Obviously, if they stop supporting cheating, you can start using them again.

Under absolutely no circumstances buy RuneScape gold/items for real money! Doing so causes this whole problem, and we'll ban you if we catch you doing it.

The number of honest players still far, far outweighs the tiny minority causing trouble. Now we’re on the case you can be sure we’ll have this sorted out asap.

my question is can they really track my trading through my banker to my newb to my main?, are they just blowing smoke? and should i put my small army of miners and wc ers on vacation till we know whats really up
things to ponder.:stirthepot: PS my "army"(only thirty) is all level 35 and higher.

Smartzkid
05-11-2007, 01:14 AM
yes, they can track your transfers.

That's why you should never make one sided trades. Always trade something in return for the macro's goods. Even if it's only a couple buckets or something...

Lalaji
05-11-2007, 01:21 AM
And remember to delete the UID.dat file often

del_signo
05-11-2007, 01:40 AM
personally i auto mine so i always give my army new addy pics when i trade recommend this technique for all skills kill 2 birds with one stone

haz3
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
sweatshops, give me a break... jagex are tards

Meanage
05-11-2007, 02:24 AM
sweatshops, give me a break... jagex are tards

Your a tard. Theres 100s of them for runescape, wow etc

YoHoJo
05-11-2007, 04:05 AM
LOl
1) Jagex has know about scar forever
2) Jagex is right about the sweatshops, thats all those level 3 choppers (stupid)
3) As long as we continue to teach people to script/make good scripts were all good

Nothing to fear nub nubs

durkadurka
05-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Guys jagex seriously loves you guys. Think about it jagex gets paid for you guys autoing and if they wanted they would shut you down and you know it. but the way i see it outta 1million players at least 100k of them are p2p macros. thats 500k a month from just macros i dont think they wanna lose that money due to someone bending the rules. so there fore i think they love us.

durkadurka
05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
also they are just saying that because some people are mad because they cant auto.

Meanage
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, think about the dragon slayers, you can spot them from a mile away and know they are farmers but jagex make so much money off them they dont care. they get to like lvl 100+ and still dont get banned. Same with shark fishers etc

Jagex has known about us for ever but dont care, we are not a major threat, we are the main reason the colors change etc, they didnt make the colors change randomly to stop java bots now did they?

joshie
05-11-2007, 12:32 PM
lol, they're not autoers. they're SS workers....i talk with them(chinese...)

IEatJ00erBaybees
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
There's no actual "sweatshops" are there?

Meanage
05-12-2007, 01:44 AM
There's no actual "sweatshops" are there?

Not extreme ones, a room full of friends playing rs all day for money. Its long hours and bad money though

geerhedd
05-12-2007, 02:57 AM
update today

11 May 2007 - Bots and Real-World Trading Update

In a follow up to last week's news post, we thought we'd let you know exactly what we've been doing in order to remove those who cheat from the game.

Firstly, we've been upgrading our detection software to ban the bots from the game. We've also been particularly focusing on cleaning up the members' version of the game. Bots on the members game are banned significantly more quickly. Of course, the free version has seen a fair share of bans, too.

The Investigations in the Community Unit (ICU) have worked hard, double checked all the facts to make sure we're only getting the cheats, and then have banned 19075 accounts for breaking Rule 7.

We've made significant progress over the last week, but there's still lots more for us to do yet.

Secondly, and equally importantly, as we warned last week we are now banning people who are BUYING RuneScape gold for real-world money - those people who are funding the whole problem in the first place. In the last week we have banned 2300 accounts for breaking Rule 12 by buying RuneScape gold.

Clearly a lot of people buying gold thought they would get away with it, so were quite surprised when they actually got permanently banned. This goes to show that we really do mean it when we say that buying gold for real-world money = permanent ban. We have reliable ways to trace this now. (These are NOT people lending items to their friends, we really are sure they were genuinely buying gold for real world money.)

Note: These weren't bots, these were players who built up their account, sometimes over years, but then threw it all away by cheating and buying gold for real-world money. This means that all the time and money they spent on their account was wasted – and all because they wanted to get ahead of others by using unfair means and tactics.

Have a look at the following examples of accounts banned for real-world trading activities in the past week and decide whether you think it would be worth risking your account. You won't get a warning - you'll just find your account banned, and that will be that.

These are just 2 examples out of the 2300 total.

Player X
Total Level: Over 1600
Total time in-game: 140 days, 8 hours

Player Y
Total Level: Over 1550
Total time in-game: 89 days, 14 hours

A pretty silly thing for them to go and do, I'm sure you'll agree. Don't make the same mistake.

(as taken from recent news on runescape.com may 11 2007)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did that last part seem like a threat?

Be carefull all it looks like they are mostly going for ppl buying rune coin, im continuing to auto as normal, but trading throuigh a banker and a newb before going to my main,
and NO one-sided trading, as i dont buy rune coin, i mine and woodcut and then my main makes the proceeds from this i think i should be safe. i would like to understand their detection system better though, what do they look for and exactly what can they track?
things for thought, happy autoing.

dudeperson
05-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Not extreme ones, a room full of friends playing rs all day for money. Its long hours and bad money though

Think of china wages though... a few cents an hour... hmm.. play rs and sell for money.. its not hard to make 1 mil a day on rs... so.. average price for that is 4,5 dollars... compared to 40, 50 cent an hour (a high estimate) it seems pretty good pay.

Meanage
05-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Think of china wages though... a few cents an hour... hmm.. play rs and sell for money.. its not hard to make 1 mil a day on rs... so.. average price for that is 4,5 dollars... compared to 40, 50 cent an hour (a high estimate) it seems pretty good pay.

I know a guy. He cuts 10k yews in 10hours, he shares a computer with another farmer, they play 14 accounts at one cutting yews, one plays while the other sleeps. So 12hours a day pritty much.

He sells the mills to a gold seller for about 2usd each, the site then resells them to the US, the farmer cant but often amagines what his life would be like if he had his own website and bank account.