Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Srl6 Winter Competition

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    Oh C'mon now. This can't be allowed. You can't trade stuff off from your main acc to the competing bot. This would give some an unfair advantage. I mean I could spend my RS3 bank and get like crafting / herb up to atleast 90 and still flip a profit during those 12 hours.

this should by no means be allowed.
    I agree, it is ridiculous to allow that. You have to make the playing field as even as possible. It’s almost as bad as the other SRL-6 competition where one competitor was allowed to use OpenGL, haha.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
    I agree, it is ridiculous to allow that. You have to make the playing field as even as possible. It’s almost as bad as the other SRL-6 competition where one competitor was allowed to use OpenGL, haha.
    I'm right here, you know

Edit: misunderstood, never mind.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Trading other players will be restricted. Will update thread w/ that properly + the images, tomorrow.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

Good luck everyone! I hope to see at least one provocative variable name in every script submitted.

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I'm right here, you know

Edit: misunderstood, never mind.
    Wot? Powerbot fandom is getting to you m8

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Wot? Powerbot fandom is getting to you m8
    yeah it's messing with my head

not even once
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

@acow; you may actually want to change the pic provided after fresh account settings changed. as that pic has oldschool mode with large chat box, instead of small(correct sized) chat box. The MSBounds will be really off with those settings.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    @acow; you may actually want to change the pic provided after fresh account settings changed. as that pic has oldschool mode with large chat box, instead of small(correct sized) chat box. The MSBounds will be really off with those settings.
    Ayy great catch, will do.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Suggestions: you have to write the script your self and not go on IRC or posts threads asking for help writting the scripts you enter.
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Suggestions: you have to write the script your self and not go on IRC or posts threads asking for help writting the scripts you enter.
    I don't think asking for help is a bad thing. Getting help from someone can be the best way to learn.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    The naivety of this suggestion is unfathomable.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    433 Post(s)

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tls View Post
    I don't think asking for help is a bad thing. Getting help from someone can be the best way to learn.
    Really depends on the objective of this competition. Not sure the first post says anything about learning, and its hard to see if it is about learning considering there is no outlined technical detail of what the user should include like for example what SRL-members applicants should include if they wanted to pass. The objective seems to be create a script that can get you the most xp in 12 hours. I can definitely see how asking someone for help / their help can be a problem and could also be seen as cheating after all, it is a competition, an individual's chance to see what they can produce. I also don't see how its a naive suggestion @Laquisha;

Anyhow i'm impartial. It should be stated in the first post if help is allowed.
    Last edited by Kasi; 12-09-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)

I'll take part!

Maybe this will be motivation to finish a script finally haha

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

I will be busy for the next few days and likely wont be on irc/skype/forums much till monday.

@anybody:
    There are currently no real restrictions on who may take part and how they may do so (it's not like a jr member or less competition where srl member+ could be indirectly participating when they shouldn't be) & currently I personally am happy to see help being received. I could be wrong with what's best, as I definitely was on the issue of allowing unrestricted trading (the idea of it I still love, but the application of it was inappropriate for this competition due to giving the wrong type of potential advantages), so let's say I am again wrong on what's ideally restricted... is restricting such a thing as receiving help even feasible? Doesn't it put those that don't already have established connections at a further disadvantage? Would people be posting to forum threads which are asking for help on improving their script to say to not ask for help since it's for the competition? I assume we are all expecting code that gives credit to others where due, restricting help could also impede that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    there is no outlined technical detail of what the user should include like for example what SRL-members applicants should include if they wanted to pass.
    pass what?
    You're basically saying to link this thread https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74195 in the relevant section of the first post?

Really depends on the objective of this competition. Not sure the first post says anything about learning, and its hard to see if it is about learning considering there is no outlined technical detail of what the user should include like for example what SRL-members applicants should include if they wanted to pass. The objective seems to be create a script that can get you the most xp in 12 hours.
    There are multiple objectives to this competition, e.g the ones listed for the specific prize pools & my own for starting up the competition. Obviously the ones listed for the specific prize pools are already posted in the first post and can be read there.

My primary reason for creating the competition was that I think there's less public activity than there should be and since I feel as though I'm in a position to try to start up a competition in the manner that I have, I felt like it was a good idea to do so. When I say position to do so, along with some other things, I have benefited enough from srl6/villavu/simba that even if the competition was to go very poorly and it was 100% a waste of time & money for myself I am fine with justifying it as my attempt at giving back for what I've received here.

Learning is indeed mentioned in the first post, but to summarize my goal/objectives for this competition to a single point, it would be "to increase srl6 activity". However the objectives of the potential applicants taking part I'd expect to be different to my own objectives for starting the competition, I'd expect a mixture of 1) learning 2) rewards due to competition 3) the script could be useful to them in the future. I hope my rambling has answered what you asked about and here's the [only] mention of learning in the first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    You should be looking forward to at the very least a fantastic learning experience!
    Last edited by acow; 12-09-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

@acow;

No, i'm using it as an example. All i'm saying is; This is your competition, you have to make the rules clear and you have to think them out properly. I see a few problems with this competition. For example, Why do you have 7 potential judges? What are they judging? The only measurable objective i can see that is clearly stated in the first post is the most xp gained in 12 hours. Not sure why any judge has to even read any of the code to measure that. It isn't going to have any impact on the winning script? Shoddy Script 1 gets 400k xp in 12 hours. Decently written Script 2 gets 200k xp in 12 hours. Who wins? Script 1, No judge needed.

-Make your objectives measurable(have a way to measure them) or don't have them as objectives at all. Most xp gained in 12 hours is measurable. Its an objective.
    -Make your rules clear, it's your competition, if you want to disallow people asking others for help, then make that a rule. if you want to allow it, then state that asking for help is okay.

As i already stated, im impartial. Don't have an agenda on what i want to see or what i think should be the case. Just pointing out problems with the competition.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

I think there's less public activity than there should be...my goal/objectives for this competition...would be "to increase srl6 activity"
    There is no doubt that SRL has taken massive hits activity wise. The active user base has literally halved over the past year. There has always been member turnover (old people leaving, new people staying) as that is how life works. However, the number of new users that currently stick around is almost nil, and this competition won’t fix that. You will basically get two types of entrants here:

• People who already know how to use SRL-6, or
    • People who will learn/are learning how to use it

Most people in the first category are no longer active, and those that are active won’t enter because they no longer have the interest. People in the second category won’t enter because the competition criteria are too hard, and getting help on these forums is much harder than it used to be (partly due to unwillingness - see Harrier's post above). You might get 1 or 2 entries if you are lucky.

If you want to increase forum activity, it has to start at the top. The SRL leadership team are the ones who progress include development, keep the forums clean and up to date, and reward members for their contributions. The leadership team more or less disintegrated a year ago for reasons well know, and everyone has been feeling the ripple effects. Basically, the forums need a refresh starting at the top, and that is where you should dedicate your energy if you want to increase activity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Really cool competition, hope to see one for OSRS or even RSPS coming up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

(partly due to unwillingness - see Harrier's post above). You might get 1 or 2 entries if you are lucky.
    It's not about unwillingness, I posted that due to one user who's been constantly asking about how to make his script more efficient on IRC and I find it totally unfair that he can do that. If someone chooses the same method as him it would be nearly impossible to make their script as efficient as his when he's had the input of some of the best developers on the forum without doing the same.
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

@Harrier; And how would restricting everybody from doing that make things unfair? If everyone has equal opportunity it's not unfair. Also for the record I did decide to ditch most of that since it built on a flawed idea. My current method (which I did completely by own knowledge iirc) takes up ~ 30 ms to identify the objects.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

"No judge needed"? Let me know if you can think of any potential issues caused by only a single person running a script/the scripts for the score. Perhaps I'm misreading your suggestion (if any), feel free to clarify.

These are the current prize pools: http://i.imgur.com/F6bIKa7.png
    These are the instructions given: http://i.imgur.com/WXu7Hx0.png
    These are the objectives for each prize pool respectively: http://i.imgur.com/iRjuLdA.png
    Do let me know if there's any further confusion about this (pm/irc is also good).

Making a rule for each thing that somebody can do would be unnecessary at best. Applicants don't need to be told that you can get help from others if there's no rules against it, only told that you may not if it's to be not allowed.

You're making quite the assumptions about me in that post. Anyhoo, not something I'd be doing alone. If you know of somebody who's experienced (noticeably more so than myself) and interested in dedicating some time on that, feel free to let me know (pm/irc/skype, not looking for a discussion about that on this thread).

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

"No judge needed"? Let me know if you can think of any potential issues caused by only a single person running a script/the scripts for the score. Perhaps I'm misreading your suggestion (if any), feel free to clarify.
    Not sure why everyone keeps quoting or referring to my posts out of context. Try re-read it in context.
    I have a problem with the way you're using the word "Judge". They aren't judging shit, they aren't forming any opinion or rating any script. All they are doing is running a script and telling you how much xp was gained after 12 hours. Sure they'll run it a couple times to make sure its a reliable score. But they most certainly are not judging anything. The judges don't need any programming knowledge, only how to run a script. If you want, i can put together a PowerPoint on how to run a simba script and we can get some Registered Users or SRL Junior Members to do the "Judging". Like i said, this competition doesn't need any judges, maybe script runners?. Its not a learning competition and there is next to no focus on how well a script is wrote therefore no judges are needed. If you were to mark the competition based on how well the script was wrote, then sure. You need Judges.

Not sure how it would be unnecessary at best. Imagine if @Laquisha; didn't bring up the point about trading from another account? Someone might have exploited this. I mean you only said it wasn't allowed after it was brought up, So why would it be any different to tell people that asking for help is okay?

The gesture is nice and well thought out. But the objectives and rules are pretty far from the target. The point of a competition is to show ones superiority over others in the competition and of course to win things. Not sure how asking others for help during the competition is in anyway fair or beneficial for everybody in the competition. This aspect removes the factor of it being a fair competition and is therefore a bad rule.

I don't agree with a lot of this competition and am unsure with the majority of it, i have a lot of questions and i can see a lot of problems, however i don't really care enough to ask anymore as it seems fairly clear that you dislike editing the first post (adding rules and fixing objectives etc). Therefore this would be my last post here. If you wanna discuss it more, you can get me on PM or Skype.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

It was allowed before it was brought up, hence no rule against it, and I'd have been happy to have seen somebody take the initiative to do it.
    Renaming judges to script runners isn't something I'm interested in doing.
    Making a rule for everything that's okay to do isn't something I'm interested in doing.
    Regarding you saying that asking others for help is unfair and thus should be disqualified:
    @anybody:
    There are currently no real restrictions on who may take part and how they may do so (it's not like a jr member or less competition where srl member+ could be indirectly participating when they shouldn't be) & currently I personally am happy to see help being received. I could be wrong with what's best, as I definitely was on the issue of allowing unrestricted trading (the idea of it I still love, but the application of it was inappropriate for this competition due to giving the wrong type of potential advantages), so let's say I am again wrong on what's ideally restricted... is restricting such a thing as receiving help even feasible? Doesn't it put those that don't already have established connections at a further disadvantage? Would people be posting to forum threads which are asking for help on improving their script to say to not ask for help since it's for the competition? I assume we are all expecting code that gives credit to others where due, restricting help could also impede that.
    I don't believe I have you added on skype, I'll pm ya mine.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

@Joopi;
    Just wrote an override, for the new login issue discussed on irc a few days back, now. Seems like a good thing to use as an example of a relatively simple yet very useful srl6 override, for the competition.

override code

Comment "This if statement"
    Simba Code:
    function TPlayer.__handleLoginPopup(tries: integer; inLobby: boolean; out reachedMax: boolean): boolean; override;
    var
      p: TPoint;
      i: integer;
      timeOut: TTimeMarker;
      popupMessage: string;
      errorMessage: TVariantArray;
    begin
      timeOut.start();

repeat // Wait until the popup appears, or we hit the lobby/isLoggedIn
        case inLobby of
          true: if isLoggedIn() then exit(true);
          false: if (lobby.isOpen() or isLoggedIn()) then exit(true);
        end;

//This if statement is all that's been added to the original code. along with 'override;' at the end of the first line.
        if findColor(x, y, 0, 96, 57, 96, 57) then //searches a single pixel box for the 0 color
        begin
          mouse(Point(357 + gaussRangeInt(0, 80), 384 + gaussRangeInt(0, 4)), mouse_left); //I'm lazy
          repeat
            wait(RandomRange(200, 300));
          until (not findColor(x, y, 0, 96, 57, 96, 57));
        end;

popupMessage := __getPopupMessage();

if (timeOut.getTime() > 60000) then
        begin
          print('Took too long to find login popup or login - respawning SMART');
          popupMessage := 'session has now ended'; // Trick it to reload
        end;

if (timeOut.getTime() > 15000) then // If nothing after 15s, check we actually
        case inLobby of                     // clicked the Login button
          true: if lobby.findPlayButton(p) then exit(false);
          false: if __setInputBoxes() then exit(false);
        end;

wait(random(500, 750));
      until (length(popupMessage) > 0);

{Popup Text                         Wait time  MaxTries  Action}
        ['Unknown login popup',                   0,         2,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Invalid username or password',          0,         2,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Your account has been disabled',        0,         0,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Your ban will be lifted in',            0,         0,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Your account has been involved in',     0,         0,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Too many incorrect logins',             5 * 60000, 2,  'Next_Player_F'],
        ['Your account has not logged out',       15000,     5,  'Next_Player_T'],
        ['You need a member''s account',          0,         1,  'Set_Non-Member'],
        ['Player in member-only area',            0,         0,  'Set_Member'],
        ['Error connecting',                      20000,     4,  'Terminate'],
        ['Unable to connect',                     20000,     4,  'Terminate'],
        ['Runescape has been updated',            0,         0,  'Reload_Client'],
        ['Client token changed',                  0,         0,  'Reload_Client'],
        ['session has now ended',                 0,         0,  'Reload_Client'],
        ['Our systems are currently unavailable', 3 * 60000, 8,  'Reload_Client'],
        ['Login limit exceeded',                  20000,     8,  'Set_World'],
        ['You must have a total skill level of',  0,         0,  'Set_World'],
        ['Cannot connect to world',               10000,     0,  'Set_World']];

for i := 0 to high(messages) do
        if (pos(messages[i][0], popupMessage) > 0) then
        begin
          errorMessage := messages[i];
          print('Login message: ' + errorMessage[0], TDebug.SUB);
          break();
        end;

if length(errorMessage) < 1 then
      begin
        print('Unknown login popup message: ' + popupMessage, TDebug.WARNING);
        takeScreenshot('unknown_login_popup.png');
        print('PLEASE report this in the SRL-6 bugs section: [url]https://villavu.com/forum/project.php?projectid=10[/url]', TDebug.HINT);
        errorMessage := ['Unknown login popup', 0, 3, 'Next_Player_F'];
      end;

self.__respondToPopup(errorMessage, tries, reachedMax);
    end;
    Last edited by acow; 12-20-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information