Thread: Inactivity

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Default Inactivity

It gets to us all at some point, doesn't it? I'm sorry that my largest block of it occurs pretty well in-line with being granted the amazing honor of SSRL (I swear it's a coincidence and not the cause of inactivity). I suppose I should go ahead and announce I'm not dead and all that jazz.

So why have I been so busy? Well for starters, my last script work, which sadly never made it to full public release, ended about 6 and a half months ago, which miraculously coincides with the time that my girlfriend moved in with me (the final status of said project is attached here: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread...65#post1348765 maybe I'll update it someday and release, or maybe I'll just do something else. It honestly probably only needs color/map updates.). That's probably less of a coincidence.

My girlfriend moving in didn't really cause me to be so inactive here on the forums, however. I definitely at least wanted to keep helping people, but the rest of life got in the way. As it stands, we've both come to really dislike where we currently live (Minnesota) and have been looking to move. For the first time in... honestly my whole life, I've had to actually apply to jobs. From the perspective of any other field of work, that probably sounds weird, but as an engineer, we are constantly poached from one company to the next. However almost all of that happens within the confines of maybe 50 miles or so. When you want to leave the state, you need to go much further than that, so I've had to hunt down companies and actively start pursuing them instead. This has taken far more time than I ever thought it would, and has really drained me of desire to do much else. Similarly, we've spent a lot of time picking cities and start the dreaded apartment-hunting. The good news is that I'm pretty well set on most of that now. I'll be moving out to Seattle, Washington at the end of August. The bad news is that we still have to spend a few weeks next month actually finding the apartment we'll be moving into, and then I'll have to drive about 8000-9000 miles as part of finding it and actually moving. Since a lot of what I've been doing will drop off in the coming weeks, chances are I'll be able to be more active once again and actually contribute to this wonderful community. I look forward to enjoying my spare time more than I have been.

Until then, I hope I remain active enough to at least answer any questions on this chain and possibly start up some new conversations here.

Hope everyone else has been doing well and having a good time!
    -Kevin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Glad you're not dead! I Hope you find a decent apartment to move into and that it all goes well.
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    8000-9000 miles
    *looks at a map*
    1500 miles, one way.

are you driving through the easternmost point, then the southernmost point of the continental US, and then to San Diego on your way to Seattle? Because thats still only 7800 miles.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Thanks for the post @Kevin;

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    Thanks for the post @Kevin;
    nice ava

Creds to DannyRS for this wonderful sig!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

@Kevin

Real life always come first.

I also have been quite inactive in these forums since my conscription (July 2013 - June 2014) started. After that, university. I haven't updated any of my scripts for 2 years!
    Rusting away

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    *looks at a map*
    1500 miles, one way.

are you driving through the easternmost point, then the southernmost point of the continental US, and then to San Diego on your way to Seattle? Because thats still only 7800 miles.
    Maybe Kevin likes his moves to be full of adventure and also wants to drive back and forth multiple times!?
    @Kevin;: YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE 8000 MILES. Take the advice from someone who drove 4800km (~3000 mi) to move across Canada. It was one of the worst things I've ever done. 50+ hours of driving, my girlfriend and I were nearly insane when we arrived. I told my best friend that he is permitted to break my legs instead of letting me drive across Canada again.

As everyone else said above, IRL comes first, but try to hang around and whatnot! It's always good to have more engineering presence around here.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Good luck dude, hope to hear from you soon! We all get stuck somewhere irl but it'll all be sorted out soon or later.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoe View Post
    nice ava
    Looking good bby

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    *looks at a map*
    1500 miles, one way.

Let's go ahead and reclarify the driving aspect then:
    1,669 miles to get to Seattle the first time to look for apartments for a few weeks. Ditto on returning home to finish packing. Then I need to make sure to visit all my family and friends in the somewhat local area before moving as I'm not exactly bound to make as many trips back (243 miles to sister, 391 miles to dad, 419 miles to visit my friends back home, 176 miles to GF's mom's side of family, then finally 402 miles back to current house). Then I need to actually make the move with all my stuff, so back to another 1669 miles. And then I'm supposed to spend my time after unpacking driving to my gf's dad's part of family (that I've never met, that'll be exciting [/sarcasm]). That'll be 1051 miles each way for that trip (Santa Maria, California. I had no idea California was so huge as that's not even the bottom of the damn state).

All in all, that makes 1669 * 3 + 1051 * 2 + 243 + 391 + 419 + 176 + 402 = 8740 miles in about a month and a half. No, it's not in one straight shot, but that also doesn't include the god-awful amount of in-town crazy traffic driving i'll have to do. And I'm sure as hell going to complain either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Garrett3 View Post
    Maybe Kevin likes his moves to be full of adventure and also wants to drive back and forth multiple times!?
    @Kevin;: YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE 8000 MILES. Take the advice from someone who drove 4800km (~3000 mi) to move across Canada. It was one of the worst things I've ever done. 50+ hours of driving, my girlfriend and I were nearly insane when we arrived. I told my best friend that he is permitted to break my legs instead of letting me drive across Canada again.

As everyone else said above, IRL comes first, but try to hang around and whatnot! It's always good to have more engineering presence around here.
    Haha, I don't plan on making that large a drive in one shot, so I'm sure I'll do a little better off than you. So far my biggest one-shot drive was only ~1800 miles, and while that was incredibly awful, you still managed to double that. You have my condolences and I hope to never be as manly as you

As for the rest of you, I appreciate the encouragement and support. Is there any big news from the community I've missed out on? Is Ashaman back?

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

So glad the mileage situation was clarified, the whole post was completely discredited and banworthy without the added explanation.

OT: Glad to hear from you Kevin! Good luck on that drive. Maybe make it a more fun road trip by adding some recreational stops along the way? Destinations to look forward to rather than dread.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Don't feel too bad, sounds like you have a lot going on. It's good to hear from you and I'm looking forward to when you get active again.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I found the mileage thing pretty obvious, lol
    usa is what like 3k long, obviously he was adding in ALL the aspects of what he has to do
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

This took a while, but I'm hopefully mainly back.

Good news: I interviewed with Amazon on their Video team and got a nice offer that I was pretty excited about. Although part of the contract does explicitly state I'm not allowed to work on Open Source software while working for them.

Bad news: To my surprise, and my new teammates' surprise, I ended up starting on an entirely unrelated team that does no active development whatsoever. At all. I'll probably be leaving soon for a job where I do actual development. At least I got a free move to Seattle I suppose.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Why is there a policy that you aren't allowed to work on a open source project?
    I'm genuinely interested, not a rhetorical question.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    Why is there a policy that you aren't allowed to work on a open source project?
    I'm genuinely interested, not a rhetorical question.
    It's in place to actually cover all projects (personal and open source, as well as other companies) for different reasons. For personal or open source projects, it's to prevent anyone from possibly working on something that Amazon is currently working on, or may be working on in the future. It is possible to get specific on file exceptions, but the filing and paperwork process is astronomical. Pretty crappy, but supposedly the concept of exceptions are only new as of the last 2 years.

Preventing other jobs is so you don't work yourself into becoming less efficient at the job they're paying you to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yay! Lol. I've been a tad inactive as well.
    Join the IRC! irc.rizon.net:6667/srl | SQLite (0.99rc3+) | SRL Doc | Simba Doc | Extra Simba Libraries (openSSL & sqlite3)
    Quote Originally Posted by #srl
    10:45 < Toter> daphil when can get sex anyday I want
    10:45 < Toter> he is always on #SRL
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thread Information