Thread: The Mayor

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Default The Mayor

Hello,

Action against @The Mayor was taken due to a reported and verified leak.

It is administrative policy to take all leaks very seriously, which means that the policy is to immediately demote, pending an investigation. This is outlined pretty clearly in the rules, which have been quoted many times already.

The reasoning for this should be obvious to any member of this community, but I'll clarify it here. First it's important to understand why we have a tiered community in the first place. It facilitates a merit-based progression as evaluated by your peers, which in turn leads to incentivizing participation and contribution across the board. This community has stood it its current form for over 8 years now, and this system has been proven to be effective. This tiered structure also leads to a large number of natural benefits, including managing the release of scripts and debates and discussions to a smaller, provably skilled subset of the population, which in turn creates a positive feedback loop that continually improves the community, giving back to the rest of the community through the promotion of contributions of public scripts and updates to SRL, Simba, SMART, and the rest of the community efforts.

Leaks undermine this positive flow, the trust of fellow members, and threaten the very foundation of this forum. Leaks can occur in many forms, for many reasons, and can have many side effects. These can take the form of leaking or stealing scripts for fun or profit, leaking the details of application or promotion deliberations, leaking operational details from the staff, leaking personal information that members felt comfortable sharing at a higher forum level, but not with the general member base, and many other types of leaks. In the past, members of all ranks have been demoted back to member for many forms of leaking; from Developers to Admins to Members to Mods, everyone has been held to the same standard, and treated in kind.

In this context, it should be easy to see why we take leaks seriously, and act swiftly to stop them, via immediate demotion, especially when the details are not immediately clear. After this immediate action comes the chance for the user to appeal and explain the details of what happened. What we look for are there things: motivation, magnitude, and damage. Please know that while the rule talks about the appeal as something a member has to do, the staff also conduct their own investigation into the details and specifics in order to figure out what steps to take to mitigate the impact and to prevent similar leaks from happening in the future. Final actions are the result of this investigation, including any input from the member via an appeal process, and can range from the demotion sticking, to ban, or other penalties as the staff see fit. If the leak is found to not be the result of a malicious motivation, to be isolated, and to have not caused any damage, it is possible that the member is reinstated with a warning and an understanding that this type of behavior is not acceptable and further infractions will be treated with a greater severity.

We would also like to reiterate SRL Leader WT-Fakawi's point:
    Quote Originally Posted by WT-Fakawi View Post
    The staff reserve the right to interpret these rules any way they see fit. Staff may lock or remove topics and posts at their own discretion. They may also issue infractions to users as they see necessary for maintaining a positive community. Any disagreement with a staff member's decision is to be resolved through the use of the PM system. Any public disputes are to be avoided and are infractable at the staff’s discretion. You have no rights and are entitled to nothing.
    That being said, let's return to The Mayor.

It is prudent to acknowledge, for the good of the community, that the situation was poorly handled in general. While it is normal practice for confirmed leaks to result in an immediate demote pending further investigation, other action taken against The Mayor, including removing his developer status and github access, was neither properly thought out nor properly considered in the heat of the moment. Given The Mayor's numerous contributions over the years a lighter touch would have been more appropriate. While the past cannot be changed, we should strive for a better future.

After evaluating the situation and taking into consideration The Mayor's motivation for leaking, the magnitude of the leak, and the damage caused by the leak, as well as communicating with him and other affected parties, we have concluded that the leak was not intended to be malicious, that it was an isolated incident, and that the damage caused was limited and repaired. In light of this, The Mayor will be reinstated to his full position before the incident. The remainder of this incident will be handled between The Mayor and the staff in a private setting.

- SRL Management

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Stance on Leechers

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

long live SRL!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

The Mayor is on a cycling trip Someone sms this to him lol
    Why join the navy if you can be a pirate? -Steve Jobs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy259 View Post
    The Mayor is on a cycling trip Someone sms this to him lol
    Not to be rude, but the OP states that they were communicating with The Mayor, so I would assume he got the message.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fisherfish7 View Post
    Not to be rude, but the OP states that they were communicating with The Mayor, so I would assume he got the message.
    They probably have already communicated to him, as this is a late post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

So, the mayor is getting his rights back thats good.

Whats happening with regards to people linking from these forums to their personal website selling scripts ect?

Edit:: which from my limited understanding was a major contributing factor to this issue
    Last edited by bucko; 07-23-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bucko View Post
    So, the mayor is getting his rights back thats good.

Whats happening with regards to people linking from these forums to their personal website selling scripts ect?

Edit:: which from my limited understanding was a major contributing factor to this issue
    That never occurred.

e: No one linked or advertised anything.
    Last edited by Lucidity; 07-23-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Long live The Mayor!

Long live core!

And long live SRL!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Long live The Mayor!

Long live core!

And long live SRL!
    I swear that's the most used phrase on this forum... Someone should get a thesaurus out

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy259 View Post
    I swear that's the most used phrase on this forum... Someone should get a thesaurus out
    Forever and a day remain alive The Mayor!
    Forever and a day remain alive Core!
    And forever and a day remain alive SRL!

E: Glad everything has been restored, The Mayor is a very valuable person in our community. Without him many others including myself would of had an extremely hard time learning how to script and quite possibly ended up leaving in a ball of rage from lack of understanding.
    Thanks Mayor
    Scripting with ogLib

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I'm glad to finally see this post, and I'm glad to see it acknowledged that the incident was very poorly handled.

Thank you.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    225 Post(s)

Thank you SRL staff for getting this out. I do hope in future cases of this that it is handled more thoughtfully. I look forward to seeing Mayor back around here.

Edit: Is he staying as SSRL or being moved to dev again?
    Last edited by Chris!; 07-24-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Glad to hear that everything worked out.
    So... I hear you like infinite loops.............

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)

This is good news to hear. Hopefully the entire situation is now behind us and we can move on as a community. LONG LIVE SRL!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Glad to hear.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

It sounds like it's time for the Green Ranger to come back.. cray cray drama rama! Glad to see you back in action Mayor!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post
    It sounds like it's time for the Green Ranger to come back.. cray cray drama rama! Glad to see you back in action Mayor!
    pls come back

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    pls come back
    He's back! Latest post

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by currynoodle View Post
    He's back! Latest post
    Was talking about Ashaman

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    pls come back
    Oh i'm planning the greatest comeback in history... there is so much reading to do though!!

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaman88 View Post
    Oh i'm planning the greatest comeback in history... there is so much reading to do though!!
    Required reading/resources

Thread Information