Thread: Macbook Air vs Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Default Macbook Air vs Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

Hey, I need a laptop for University and my dad agreed to foot the bill!
    I'm in two heads at the moment, the Air or the Yoga 2. Keep in mind they're basically the same price.

I'm sorta leaning toward the Yoga 2 since I'd really like to save the cost of a tablet (will probably sell a lot of my old ish before going to Uni and buy a tablet) and it can turn into a tablet hybrid.
    However... I've always wanted the Air, and will Boot Camp into Windows (Can't program C++ on OSX).

Help me make a decision please!

No doubt people are going to be calling me spoiled (I'm looking at you Brad, ill hit you up when I get my A5 ), you have no idea how wrong you are. I'm paying 50% of my tuition and 100% of my res/food/books which is why my dad said he'd buy it and save me the money.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

So are you looking to be a tablet like computer or just a laptop?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    Can't program C++ on OSX
    What?

Also look into an education discount through your university, especially if you decide to go with the Air (which I like).

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Stance on Leechers

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    What?

Also look into an education discount through your university, especially if you decide to go with the Air (which I like).
    Heard somewhere that OSX is absolutely terrible for Computer Science students... Something about not being able to run IDE's?
    We don't get an education discount

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Get the Macbook, I did and I love it. I can do so much with it, and I am a Computer Information System major. I either use my external hard drive for Windows or the Parallel software to browse through my Windows 7. Or you can use BootCamp which comes with the Mac, all you have to do is get ahold of Windows

Good Luck!

Although I prefer Macbook Pro than the Air, CD's are still around, you know .

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P1nky View Post
    Although I prefer Macbook Pro than the Air, CD's are still around, you know .
    What do you mean with that? You can't put CD's into a pro..

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    What do you mean with that? You can't put CD's into a pro..
    U could in the past, @P1nky; is probably not aware of the update

Creds to DannyRS for this wonderful sig!

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sjoe View Post
    U could in the past, @P1nky; is probably not aware of the update
    oooh :O

off topic: where is your santa?

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1475 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    oooh :O

off topic: where is your santa?
    xmas is over :s

Creds to DannyRS for this wonderful sig!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

I have to agree with @P1nky. I have an iMac and iPad and love them right now. I use a keyboard dock on the iPad and just take notes with that in class then transfer to my iMac when class is over (It just syncs to pages for me..) I like it better than carrying around a laptop. My iMac also can double as a TV when I want to watch Netflix/Movies.

Really depends on what you want. I would personally recommend getting the Macbook Pro over the Air. If you are going the Air route you might as well buy an iPad.

What are you going to be using the laptop for? If you need programming IN class then ignore my tablet suggestion and go with a Macbook Pro.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Do you have a gaming computer already? Unless you are programming in class I much prefer hand written notes...so I would get a laptop (a chunky 15.6") with a dedicated graphics card so you can do school on it in your dorm and game a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

I would go for the MacBook Air. Is practical, easy to carry from one place to another.
    I really don't like the idea of the hybrid. I would go for the Mac, if I were buying a new computer.
    P.S.: If you go for the MacBook Pro, the 15' is prettier
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onilika View Post
    I would go for the MacBook Air. Is practical, easy to carry from one place to another.
    I really don't like the idea of the hybrid. I would go for the Mac, if I were buying a new computer.
    P.S.: If you go for the MacBook Pro, the 15' is prettier
    Well thing is, I don't need a new computer. This will be mostly used for notes, assignments, Netflix, and some casual gaming. I have my PC which i'll be taking to the res, and i'll be gaming mostly on there.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

C++, Eclipse, Java, Android etc. all work great on OSX.

3200x1800 isnt great under Windows. Nearly all programs have scaling issues because you will be at 200%.

1600x900 effective is still pretty small on 13". I have a rMbp late 2013 myself and it's great.

Non retina programs are gonna annoy you though. Air is fine but only 150$ diff to retina at 256 gb ssd 8 gb ram edition.

I get 7-8h battery or so with quite a few resource intensive programs

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

Well thing is, I don't need a new computer. This will be mostly used for notes, assignments, Netflix, and some casual gaming. I have my PC which i'll be taking to the res, and i'll be gaming mostly on there.
    Was talking about me, if I were to buy a pc for all those things you mentioned above. I bought a computer that can handle heavy games, but the thing is.. I don't even play! I mostly use it for University. I have an iPad, and I use it mostly for reading, and also for taking notes.
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

Guarantee the first problem you have with your macbook you get charged out the ass for it. There is no safe haven for mac problems just the same as there ain't no rest for the wicked.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Tang Clan View Post
    Guarantee the first problem you have with your macbook you get charged out the ass for it. There is no safe haven for mac problems just the same as there ain't no rest for the wicked.
    I have never and any issues with any of mine, on top of that they are really not that hard to fix? Just have to have some knowledge of them. Invest in Youtube videos of who to work on them, they are out there :P

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Ok, so if I'm honest I usually a hater of mac. I see it as over priced, extermly well marketed brand.
    HOWEVER I do think that they have great displays and good battery life and in this case (as I personally think the who 2-in-1 tablet laptop thing is stupid) I'd go for the air.
    If you want a tablet then I'd get the nexus 7 (but if you use mac computers you might want to keep with apple stuff so idk). I have a nexus 4 and a laptop, I don't really have a need for a tablet what so ever since my phone is fairly big.
    It's your choice at the end of the day but I don't think the laptop tablet thing is a good idea (I can just see the connectors/hinges breaking after a year...)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    Ok, so if I'm honest I usually a hater of mac. I see it as over priced, extermly well marketed brand.
    HOWEVER I do think that they have great displays and good battery life and in this case (as I personally think the who 2-in-1 tablet laptop thing is stupid) I'd go for the air.
    If you want a tablet then I'd get the nexus 7 (but if you use mac computers you might want to keep with apple stuff so idk). I have a nexus 4 and a laptop, I don't really have a need for a tablet what so ever since my phone is fairly big.
    It's your choice at the end of the day but I don't think the laptop tablet thing is a good idea (I can just see the connectors/hinges breaking after a year...)
    Macbooks do have pretty good price/quality value compared to other ultrabooks. Especially if you want a higher end Macbook/Ultrabook the price difference isn't that big. Most of the Haswell ultrabooks I looked at were more expensive than a Retina Macbook Pro with similar specs.

That's the reason I went for a 13" rMBP 256/8. Asus Zenbook, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and a few others were just as if not more expensive here in NL with atleast 256GB flash storage and 8GB RAM. On top of that the Macbook holds it's value much better and I can also develop for iOS now.

You pay a lot for an iMac and you are much better off building your own PC IMO. Otherwise you are going to spend 2k on a 27" monitor with laptop hardware. Can get a 30" 4K display with SLI videocards/16GB RAM/i7 for that later this year! Dell is going to release a 28" 4K monitor under 1000$ next month or something

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Macbooks do have pretty good price/quality value compared to other ultrabooks. Especially if you want a higher end Macbook/Ultrabook the price difference isn't that big. Most of the Haswell ultrabooks I looked at were more expensive than a Retina Macbook Pro with similar specs.

That's the reason I went for a 13" rMBP 256/8. Asus Zenbook, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and a few others were just as if not more expensive here in NL with atleast 256GB flash storage and 8GB RAM. On top of that the Macbook holds it's value much better and I can also develop for iOS now.

You pay a lot for an iMac and you are much better off building your own PC IMO. Otherwise you are going to spend 2k on a 27" monitor with laptop hardware. Can get a 30" 4K display with SLI videocards/16GB RAM/i7 for that later this year! Dell is going to release a 28" 4K monitor under 1000$ next month or something
    Don't have much to say in response :P But yeah building your own is worthwhile and you can even use hackintosh if you have a thing for their os.
    I agree with the point that they keep their value (and thats because they're over priced and well marketed ) but they are well built ofcourse :P

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Hey, I need a laptop for University and my dad agreed to foot the bill!
    I'm in two heads at the moment, the Air or the Yoga 2. Keep in mind they're basically the same price.

I'm sorta leaning toward the Yoga 2 since I'd really like to save the cost of a tablet (will probably sell a lot of my old ish before going to Uni and buy a tablet) and it can turn into a tablet hybrid.
    However... I've always wanted the Air, and will Boot Camp into Windows (Can't program C++ on OSX).

Help me make a decision please!

No doubt people are going to be calling me spoiled (I'm looking at you Brad, ill hit you up when I get my A5 ), you have no idea how wrong you are. I'm paying 50% of my tuition and 100% of my res/food/books which is why my dad said he'd buy it and save me the money.

I did Enie Meanie Minie Moe (or however it is spelled) and the result is: the Macbook Air. ENJOY!

"When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

I bought a late 2013 macbook air 13in with the i7, 8gb ram, and 256 storage. I have not looked back. It runs everything great, even some light gaming(borderlands 2 on mid/low settings at 30fps). I use it to take notes in every single class(9 hour school day) and come home with ~50% battery(I have a couple free periods when I don't take notes). I have no complaints with it. But, if you are a gamer like me it WILL not replace a desktop computer. I got it over the pro because of the fact that it weighs a lot less and it has a few hours of battery life more then the pro(in terms of price they were almost identical with my configuration). Also people say that the macbook pro performs better when gaming which is simply not that true, since the macbook pro has a much larger resolution then the air, so the intel5000 and iris graphics provide almost the same FPS during gaming.

Thread Information