Thread: Best OS for running scripts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Default Best OS for running scripts

First off, hows it going everyone? I have not been here in a long time. I plan on getting back into botting and writing scripts. My skills have grown a lot and I now work as a software dev for a big ISP. (great news!)

So, i have a VM set up on my local machine to test some things out. I was going to get a droplet server to run some things on but i dont feel like paying just yet. I tried installing ubuntu to run runescape on and i have tons of issues just getting the client to show up.

I think i want to try and run a minimal version of centOS. I am not sure if i will have the same issues installing and running it though. If any of you guys have experience with this let me know. I dont want to use windows for obvious reasons, but mostly because i have troubles with my scripts breaking on it.

Once i get this all figured out i might see if i can write some ansible to automate setting up everything for a bot.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Any distribution of GNU/Linux will be fine for running Simba. A lot of Linux-specific fixes were included with the release candidate of Simba 1.3, so there's never been a better time to start using Linux on your botting rigs.

There's a link in my signature which has a lot of information about the process of compiling Simba for (and running it on) Linux, and you can find prebuilt binaries along with additional important information in the release candidate thread.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by o0Matthius0o View Post
    First off, hows it going everyone? I have not been here in a long time. I plan on getting back into botting and writing scripts. My skills have grown a lot and I now work as a software dev for a big ISP. (great news!)

So, i have a VM set up on my local machine to test some things out. I was going to get a droplet server to run some things on but i dont feel like paying just yet. I tried installing ubuntu to run runescape on and i have tons of issues just getting the client to show up.

I think i want to try and run a minimal version of centOS. I am not sure if i will have the same issues installing and running it though. If any of you guys have experience with this let me know. I dont want to use windows for obvious reasons, but mostly because i have troubles with my scripts breaking on it.

Once i get this all figured out i might see if i can write some ansible to automate setting up everything for a bot.
    Hmm, if you want something really light you could try Alpine Linux (it can also run from RAM). From what I remember it has jre, but you might run into some funky issues since it uses musl libc.

@KeepBotting would probably also say Void Linux if you can be bothered to spend an hour or so setting it up. I'd also agree with that -- It's sane in the sense of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) and it doesn't come with bloat (systemd!).

It's the most BSD-like distro I've encountered - I'm actually using a few parts from OpenBSD! (doas > sudo, sndio > alsa, libressl > openssl). I was previously using OpenBSD (It's simply awesome) on my desktop but to be honest Linux is much better in terms of performance and compatability that I've switched back to Void.

If I had time Gentoo would be my poison of choice but it can be a bit of effort maintaining an overlay, setting it all up, compiling et cetera. The one thing I really miss is the way Gentoo handles kernels and is really easy to automate - The kernel I run is with no modules except for a self-signed WireGuard module. PITA on Void! I was going to write something to automate it on xbps-src when I have the time.

Anyway, I actually wrote a custom way to install for a friend, with a LUKS detached header and compiling the kernel (a la Gentoo). If it helps here it is - just skip all the cryptsetup stuff, better-initramfs, compiling the kernel and format how you want (I'm actually using LVM+XFS because I don't touch btrfs - It's eaten my data a few too many times )

Please ignore all the crude language too, I was rather inebriated writing it: https://gitlab.com/_j/krn-conf/raw/master/vins

~j
    Yer a wizard, 'oopi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Not that it matters, Since KeepBotting has said that it works on almost any GNU/Linux, I can testify it works perfectly on Arch Linux.

Thread Information