Poll: Would you personally like to go meet a friend you met through an online game?

Thread: Kid lured and killed, All started from a Computer game!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Default Kid lured and killed, All started from a Computer game!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...red-death.html

One crazy article here, I have plenty of online friends but never ever would go out of my way to actually visit them in person.

Discuss!

~P1nky

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

Eh, it's probably a bad idea so I generally wouldn't. However, if they wanted to go to some sort of gaming event with lots of people such as an IEM or MLG in the area, I wouldn't be too opposed to it now that I'm old enough to guzzle alcohol and make my own decisions. It seems that most of these traps are aimed at children/teens.

I feel that if I was in that boy's position, it would've been more than obvious that meeting up with a manipulative bastard like that is just asking for it; however, I would definitely not even try to blame the poor boy as he wasn't at a mature enough point where he could figure it out for himself (or accept his parents' advice as anything but hot air b/c "fuck you don't tell me how to live my life im a teenager now!!one1!" :P). I'd say one thing to do would be to not agree to meet anyone your parents would not approve of or let you meet, until you're much older, at least in college, as they know a ton more than you do.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

It's a totally screwed up story, and it sucks no matter how you slice it... however, the way that the two boys met up was completely wrong and with no parental knowledge whatsoever. Had they met the "correct" way then the entire thing would have been avoided, at least for a while.

This is how you meet up with someone that you've met online, assuming that you're old and mature enough:

1. Organise to meet in a crowded location such as a shopping centre
    2. Inform your parent(s)/guardian(s) of your intention, including where you're going to meet, when, what you're doing, and how long you should be. If you don't have any parents you can tell (you're already out of home because you're old enough or whatever), then you tell someone else that you trust
    3. Bring a (different to the above) trusted friend/family member with you

If you're not old and mature enough, meaning you're 14 or something, the person you bring with you should definitely be one of your actual parents or guardians, and you only meet once your parent or guardian has spoken on the phone to that of the person you're meeting.

It's pretty simple stuff, and it's stories like this one that serve as a terrible lesson as to why there is only one way to meet someone that you met online. I've already made a few friends on this forum that I would love to meet one day, but I would follow every one of the above steps if I did so.

PS: I voted yes, obviously.

EDIT: It's also disgusting but not unheard of that the police did nothing until a crime had actually been committed. I feel terrible for the mother, but she's incredibly brave for speaking out in hopes of educating other parents. The story is made worse by the fact that she took all of the right steps (limiting and monitoring Internet usage, etc) to keep him safe, and told the police as soon as she suspected that something was wrong.
    Last edited by Incurable; 12-04-2014 at 12:49 PM.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

I met someone online who's actually turned into a good friend now. He's older than me by 7 years. However I've had two physical servers worth £500+ for free from him and both of which are awesome.

Just be smart about meeting people online. as incurable says, set boundaries, tell people you're meeting and be aware of your surroundings

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I'm just here because I want to blame the parents and the first thing I did, was to scroll down and read the article's comments. She knew something was up and did nothing herself. Still let him do whatever he wanted on the net and then whatever he wanted outside..

You can sue for anything nowadays. I see no reason for her to blame the police entirely.
    Kid's dumb too. Has no parental training at all.

I voted no. If it's a coincidence then fine. Would be awkward for me otherwise..
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I'm just here because I want to blame the parents and the first thing I did, was to scroll down and read the article's comments. She knew something was up and did nothing herself. Still let him do whatever he wanted on the net and then whatever he wanted outside..

You can sue for anything nowadays. I see no reason for her to blame the police entirely.

I voted no. If it's a coincidence then fine. Would be awkward for me otherwise..
    whats your address? muehehe
    jk

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I haven't read the linked article, but watched an interview with her where she stated that she did actually do the right things to keep him safe (limited computer and internet usage, monitored who he spoke to, etc). That's how she knew that something was up and that her son was talking to people online. He was supposed to go to his Dad's house (and told her that's where he was going, as they had before) but instead went to meet the older boy.

You can't blame her at all, and although it would be accurate to blame the boy, he was 14, do you really expect a 14 year old to be a perfect example of common sense when it comes to personal safety?

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

This. The mom is almost completely at fault here

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    I haven't read the linked article, but watched an interview with her where she stated that she did actually do the right things to keep him safe (limited computer and internet usage, monitored who he spoke to, etc). That's how she knew that something was up and that her son was talking to people online. He was supposed to go to his Dad's house (and told her that's where he was going, as they had before) but instead went to meet the older boy.

You can't blame her at all, and although it would be accurate to blame the boy, he was 14, do you really expect a 14 year old to be a perfect example of common sense when it comes to personal safety?

Yes because at 13/14 you're in high-school/secondary-school (maybe 15 at most in the Americas). You should have more than enough sense by then. He had enough sense to play the game and probably had a membership (if required). There's a reason most games (and hosts such as steam) have an age requirement of 13+. Why? Because by the age of 13 you should be able to read, write, and understand safety issues as well as have common sense to play the game and be responsible as well.. Even Jagex has this requirement.

That makes it even worse that she was actually monitoring him and never stopped him. If I suspected my kid (I don't have any).. but IF I suspected my kid was in danger or something was wrong or that he/she kept bad company (worse online), then I'd ban them from doing said activities.

The ONLY action she took (as a mother) was to call the police and continue to let him do said activities while she watched (monitored). It sucks that he died, but her AND the police (partially) is to blame. The police cannot actually take action on every phone call they get.. Especially if it is a "mother suspecting her child is subject to danger online". In today's society, they probably get TONS of those every day. Especially about bullying or "other".
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-04-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

I think there is no point in searching scapegoats. The parents couldn't know what would happen, neither the police. You can't tell from looking at somebody if he's a psycopath or no. Yes, they could have been stricter, but 1. that doesn't matter anymore 2. I'm not sure the boy would listened to his parents.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

I don't understand, what was the killer's motivation? purely ego or did I miss something big while skimming through the article..

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1014 Post(s)

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

From the title i wasnt sure if someone lured someone on RS and it made the news or not...

But anyway. Depending on the situation, i would. Ive got a friend ive known for 7 years now. Never actually met the guy, but hes screwed up in the head, so i know hes harmless. One of these days ill take the trek to canada and we will party.

One of these days @Rubix; and i will party too. hes got lots of guns. i should take mine just to be safe.

As for the actual article... It's disheartening. and thats all i have to say about that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

A lot of posts on here I agree with. We are living in a time when kids should be educated about meeting people online, it's not uncommon for children to do things behind their parents backs! I would make sure my child knew the dangers and knew not to meet anyone off the internet outside of a public place.

although it's a very sad story it could have happened to anybody via a gaming site, facebook or online dating sites/apps, we should be educating children/gullible people.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hoodz View Post
    whats your address? muehehe
    jk
    If he don't respond, I can always give you mine.
    mua ha ha ha

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

I've already met many of my online friends. I plan on going to Europe soon to meet more. So, I voted yes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Generally if I had a great relationship with the person online i'd meet them, for instance my buddy lives in florida and I met him on a private server called ZdiddyScape back in the day (06-07) then we scaped together and played cod together for the next 8 years, i chill with him when I go to fl to visit my grandma

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Voted yes.

I intend to stalk every single one of you.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

I guess I would have to vote yes, because I've met Coh3n and Nava2 IRL before, back about 4 years ago I think. I was in town for softball nationals and they took me to a party after a game. It was like 20 minutes outside of town in the middle of nowhere. I met a couple people, drank a beer, and then had to go back to my hotel.

I hadn't done nearly the due diligence that I probably should have, aside from meeting Nava the day before and telling the team I was going to meet a couple friends. It seems to have worked out for me alright. I even tried meeting Hobbit when he was in town a year or two ago, but he ended up having to go home early so that plan failed a bit. None of these events were nearly as awkward as you would expect from meeting someone you only know online. I give credit to everyone else for that.

10/10 would arrange meetings with them again, and would probably meet anyone I knew well enough here if they happened to be in town.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I've met a few people through online games. Its pretty much the same if you meet someone on craigslist to buy a certain item, yet with the people you know on an game you have a little background on the person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

WTF.. Yeah that's really sickening. It's worse to find the "groomer" is only 19, a computer engineer.. which is pretty fucking good for his age really, how he could throw his life away by doing crazy shit like this? -Face palm-

On topic about meeting up with people.

3 years ago I was sat alching in Bounty Hunter wildy, got talking to a lad called Frank and got to know him really well.

I ended up meeting him down at Download Festival (UK). Smoked a load of weed (I considered myself a lightweight back then). Had a really nostalgic convo about RS and how it used to be back then, we had quite a decent time!

No raping/murdering involved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Not very often I'm shocked but this is just wow. What the hell is wrong with people in the world?
    My thoughts and wishes go out to his family.

Thread Information