Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

MENTORS

A way for people learning to contact experienced members in a non-soliciting manner OUTSIDE of PM's would be nice. The tutorials are well constructed and there are sub forums for 'First Scripts' and 'Help' but I still feel as though I would learn a lot more being able to bounce small questions and code snippets off of someone who I have an easy way to get in touch with. This streamlined form of communication will be great for generating focused dialog and minimizing the answer time for someone that really cares about learning. This WOULD NOT be for giving someone lessons or dedicated hours of their day.

Maybe create a sub-forum in the help section where SRL Members can post threads accepting applications from those seeking a "mentor". From those applications they can choose however many people they want and then give those few a direct line of communication such as Skype.

It is just a little cleaner than sending people PM's asking for help, posting in the chat and having to get one answer at a time, or posting in the help section and getting few replies. I just find it extremely frustrating while I am trying to learn.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredecus View Post
    MENTORS

A way for people learning to contact experienced members in a non-soliciting manner OUTSIDE of PM's would be nice. The tutorials are well constructed and there are sub forums for 'First Scripts' and 'Help' but I still feel as though I would learn a lot more being able to bounce small questions and code snippets off of someone who I have an easy way to get in touch with. This streamlined form of communication will be great for generating focused dialog and minimizing the answer time for someone that really cares about learning. This WOULD NOT be for giving someone lessons or dedicated hours of their day.

Maybe create a sub-forum in the help section where SRL Members can post threads accepting applications from those seeking a "mentor". From those applications they can choose however many people they want and then give those few a direct line of communication such as Skype.

It is just a little cleaner than sending people PM's asking for help, posting in the chat and having to get one answer at a time, or posting in the help section and getting few replies. I just find it extremely frustrating while I am trying to learn.
    I try to make myself available for small answers and whatnot like you've asked, but I have a full time job and a life outside of SRL and work, so I could never make the time commitment to be a full mentor. I generally linger on IRC (Garrett) while at work and can answer questions if you highlight me. The easiest way to reach me though is almost definitely PM, as it lets me answer when I have the time.

Any urgent questions, the best thing to do is go on IRC and ask (and be patient waiting for an answer). Lots of people are helpful there as long as you don't ask how to avoid being banned or how to set up your RS settings, which happens way too often.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I am thinking of something a little more personal and organized than the IRC and faster than PM. Also, This is not something where you need to dedicate specific amounts of time to. Maybe it is a 5 minute conversation on Skype when you are online. I work a full time job at a game developer and am working roughly 60 hours a week while taking 14 hours of classes so I absolutely understand the time aspect.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredecus View Post
    I am thinking of something a little more personal and organized than the IRC and faster than PM. Also, This is not something where you need to dedicate specific amounts of time to. Maybe it is a 5 minute conversation on Skype when you are online. I work a full time job at a game developer and am working roughly 60 hours a week while taking 14 hours of classes so I absolutely understand the time aspect.
    If you want to PM me your skype then I'll add you. I'm about to have a 2 week vacation from work so I'm sure I'll have much more time to help in the next two weeks. You seem like someone who would be good to teach, I'd like to help however I can.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

I love this website. Ever since i registered.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaBilly View Post
    I love this website. Ever since i registered.
    I know right ! These guys are amazing, They're helping us for no cost at all. It's all about community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

"SRL University", a revamp of the tutorial / scripting sections that dives head first into the SRL Documentation. There are already some great tutorials covering basics; however, why not break the documentation down function by function conceptually? There seems to be so many great ways to implement code, so why not pick the minds in a more formal setting. Quizzes to keep in interesting and grading could be something to look at to keep people honest in their scripting. Just an idea I found interestingly cool.
    Currently learning C++ for Game Development

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quentini View Post
    "SRL University", a revamp of the tutorial / scripting sections that dives head first into the SRL Documentation. There are already some great tutorials covering basics; however, why not break the documentation down function by function conceptually? There seems to be so many great ways to implement code, so why not pick the minds in a more formal setting. Quizzes to keep in interesting and grading could be something to look at to keep people honest in their scripting. Just an idea I found interestingly cool.
    Really nice idea. I started scripting like two weeks ago. There are some really great guides. I must say I have a scripting background. But I do think that there are a lot more good ways for people to learn scripting. Also to motivate them. Quizzes, etc. are really great ways to motivate people to start scripting.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quentini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Suikerwafel View Post
    Really nice idea. I started scripting like two weeks ago. There are some really great guides. I must say I have a scripting background. But I do think that there are a lot more good ways for people to learn scripting. Also to motivate them. Quizzes, etc. are really great ways to motivate people to start scripting.
    Great idea. Better get started on writing the material for it!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Problem is time, something like that needs to be done by 'someone'.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    Problem is time, something like that needs to be done by 'someone'.
    Not to mention a backend for it... yeah, there are plenty of free/open source ones (moodle and such), but... it would require hosting somewhere... and i doubt @wizzup; would consider hosting something on his servers that he didnt write himself.

and then someone (or someones) would have to put all of that stuff there. fun fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Not to mention a backend for it... yeah, there are plenty of free/open source ones (moodle and such), but... it would require hosting somewhere... and i doubt @wizzup; would consider hosting something on his servers that he didnt write himself.

and then someone (or someones) would have to put all of that stuff there. fun fun.
    As for time, I would consider this to definitely be a group project, with its own moderation team? I wasn't actually meaning a brand new site or host, though that would be pretty neat. Possibly just a new forum section that is organized, updated and maintained differently than the tutorial section is now to provide a better learning track for future SRL members.

I really liked the grading that was done by Mayor's last competition and presumably for SRL membership. It sparked more motivation for me to figure out what I should be focusing on as I learn to script and go from beginner to intermediate script writing.
    Currently learning C++ for Game Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

there needs to be a dark theme, the white is hurting my eyes.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorflake View Post
    there needs to be a dark theme, the white is hurting my eyes.
    lower your screen brightness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

We should have thank-you buttons for posts. There is an issue with people just posting on a thread about a script and saying "Well Done" when you are under a junior member....I think you all know what I'm referring too..This would alleviate the issue..

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xqs_me View Post
    We should have thank-you buttons for posts. There is an issue with people just posting on a thread about a script and saying "Well Done" when you are under a junior member....I think you all know what I'm referring too..This would alleviate the issue..
    Ah, you mean the reputation?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Ah, you mean the reputation?
    Not quite, it would show underneath that users post, who said thanks, more of a visually stimulating way to thank a post...

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Not quite, it would show underneath that users post, who said thanks, more of a visually stimulating way to thank a post...

but all dem squares.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

It wouldn't alliterative the issue. Spammers gonna spam, because they know that they need 30 posts for Jr. Member.

Plus, as Turp said, dem squarez
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    It wouldn't alliterative the issue. Spammers gonna spam, because they know that they need 30 posts for Jr. Member.

Plus, as Turp said, dem squarez

Lol it wouldn't have to take place of rep, there are thousands of forums with thank-you buttons for posts and + rep, and no i believe it wouldn't end spam but you would be able to give those that do spam, an option to say thanks, so that they couldn't use that as an excuse to spam..Meh it seems noone likes the idea, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    alliterative
    I had to look up what this meant and i still don't get it lol

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Lol it wouldn't have to take place of rep, there are thousands of forums with thank-you buttons for posts and + rep, and no i believe it wouldn't end spam but you would be able to give those that do spam, an option to say thanks, so that they couldn't use that as an excuse to spam..Meh it seems noone likes the idea, sorry

I had to look up what this meant and i still don't get it lol
    I tried to type "alleviate" but I was abducted by aliens before I could complete the word
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

I would love to see a "Newest Thread" tab for the top 5 stats bar at the bottom of the page... Help us nosy people out
    (Newest as in newest started thread, not most recent thread to be posted on.)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

@Daniel; @Coh3n; @Hobbit; snippet section for reflection section

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    @Daniel; @Coh3n; @Hobbit; snippet section for reflection section
    @elfyyy;
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information