Thread: Where to put my effort towards (beginner scripter)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Default Where to put my effort towards (beginner scripter)

I have a bit of java, C, and C# knowledge/experience and was looking to learn how to script decently as I've always enjoyed the nature of python/ahk.

My question is what is currently the best thing to be learning if I want to build private safeish scripts like a combat bot for a specialized area with banking. I'm not sure what I should be learning first as there's Aerolab, Reflection, SMART, etc and I was just looking for some guidance. Cheers

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Imo, aerolib or SRL/SRL for osrs color. & using a different client with more actively updated hooks for reflection, especially as then you'd be writing your script in java instead of pascal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I'm guessing that color is generally safer but can't do as much/is slower? Also ty for the help
    Last edited by Darkstrand; 07-08-2017 at 03:12 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstrand View Post
    I'm guessing that color is generally safer but can't do as much/is slower? Also ty for the help
    Prefer colour personally. Is a lot more challenging to use, but can be used in the official client.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    Prefer colour personally. Is a lot more challenging to use, but can be used in the official client.
    Is color viable for an efficient combat bot with looting/banking? The best option I've seen so far is to us OSBuddy and Borlands item overlay looter but if reflection is the best option for things like this maybe I'll try to learn that instead, most likely here instead of a more heavily used reflection bot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

You will be able to do it easier with Reflection. Colour is certainly capable of doing it though. All comes down to time.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Is color viable for an efficient combat bot with looting/banking? The best option I've seen so far is to us OSBuddy and Borlands item overlay looter but if reflection is the best option for things like this maybe I'll try to learn that instead, most likely here instead of a more heavily used reflection bot.
    Look.. Reflection is just about always the EASIER option, often several times easier, even a monkey can write a bot using reflection, you don't need much of a brain for it.
    Color vs Reflection is where we separate real men from the boys. Real men doesn't use Reflection.

As for speed; Color is fast, no issue there.. Can do just about whatever you need, it just involves actually writing methods to recognize/find whatever object you are looking for, and that can be challanging.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Sorry about all the noob questions but not sure how much to trust older threads on info.

Are most people still using SMART or just using a VM? Also decided to go with color since I want to actually learn and if reflection is pretty brain dead there's no real point.
    Last edited by Darkstrand; 07-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Sorry about all the noob questions but not sure how much to trust older threads on info.

Are most people still using SMART or just using a VM? Also decided to go with color since I want to actually learn and if reflection is pretty brain dead there's no real point.
    Reflection is not brain dead. Try both and go with what you prefer. Tbh that's the best way to go about most of these questions, rather than only going with x because random guy on the internet said he prefers it over y.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

If you learn color, you can easily transition those skills to reflection. Get a firm understanding of the basics and then play with each from there.

My personal rule of thumb - use smart on accounts that aren't your main/aren't afraid to lose. Use official client w/color if you wish to bot on your main.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Go color, it shouldnt take long to learn writing efficient scripts, especially if you have some experience in different language. Color will always work, you can automate anything you like, any platform. I do not have much coding experience, ive only learned what I needed for my personal use, and my scripts are faaaar more efficient than any other bot. Dont hestitate, pick color.

About Smart/Client I dont find much difference ban-wise, I guess its just personal preference.
    @Dan the man; wrote some great tutorials for starters, check it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

delete, somehow it double posted

Thread Information