Thread: Steam Summer Sale thread

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Default Steam Summer Sale thread

Well, the Steam summer sale is well underway. What awesome games have you grabbed for low, low prices courtesy of Our Lord and Savior Gaben?

I'll be updating this thread with my purchases, as well as any tips and tricks I've learned throughout the sale. Feel free to share your haul, as well as any knowledge you may possess

Disclaimer: this is my second Steam sale ever, and I have extremely odd (and limited) taste in video games. Be forewarned!

12th June - Purchased Harvester, discounted 75%, for $1.49
    14th June - Purchased Mountain, discounted 0%, for $0.99
    16th June - Purchased Lost Planet: Extreme Edition, discounted 60%, for $5.99
    16th June - Purchased System Shock 2, discounted 90%, for $0.99

Tips & tricks:

1. No impulsive purchases, and no buying a game you missed the sale for! Popular games that go on sale once will most likely go up again for the "Encore Sale."
    2. If it's not a daily deal or a flash sale, don't buy it. If you break this rule, the game you bought will probably end up being priced lower in a flash sale or daily deal later on, and you'll feel stupid for not waiting.
    3. Inverse of the above -- if the game you want is in a daily deal or a flash sale, get it! Flash sales and daily deals contain the maximum possible discount that Valve will give you for a specific title.
    4. Pay attention to the actual percentage of discount, not just the final price. If a game is discounted from 1% to 40%, there's a good chance it'll receive an additional price cut later on. 40% to 60%, and you've got yourself a good bargain -- buy at your own discretion. 75% or better -- what are you even waiting for? Buy it!
    5. Don't limit yourself to Steam. (what?! Blasphemy!) Other vendors such as GOG.com offer a digital distribution platform that's every bit as robust as Steam, and might even have some additional titles and discounts ... don't feel afraid to shop around.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Unfortunately I have to stay away as I'm currently broke af. Also I've done them for the past couple years and now I have hundreds of games that I've never played, so I really don't need more.

Of the games you listed System Shock is the only one I have but I've never played it.

Edit: throwing in some recommendations:

Dungeons of Dredmor. Turn-based rogue-like RPG with a great sense of humor. TONS of replay value, plus it takes a long time to actually beat the game. One of the best things about this game is that you can get up and leave at any time because it's turn-based. There are some cool mods too.

Risk of Rain Rogue-like action platformer with a great soundtrack. Doesn't take too long to do a run-through, but there are lots of classes/mods to unlock. Oh and you pretty much need a controller.

I have ~70 hours played with each game.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evilcitrus View Post
    Unfortunately I have to stay away as I'm currently broke af. Also I've done them for the past couple years and now I have hundreds of games that I've never played, so I really don't need more.

Of the games you listed System Shock is the only one I have but I've never played it.
    Unfortunately, people who buy many games (or few bundles) end up with many that they never play. I typically buy no more than 5 to 10 games, then I'm good for the rest of the year.

You should play SS2 though, it's excellent (with some texture mods XD)
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Unfortunately, people who buy many games (or few bundles) end up with many that they never play. I typically buy no more than 5 to 10 games, then I'm good for the rest of the year.

You should play SS2 though, it's excellent (with some texture mods XD)
    I've heard it's a lot like the original Bioshock, which is why I got it. I'll get around to it eventually lol

My biggest problem is my short attention span. There are lots of great games that I will never get through simply because they're too in-depth and require regular play. e.g. dragon age, witcher, kotor
    I like games that I can jump in and out of without having to relearn and catch up.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evilcitrus View Post
    I've heard it's a lot like the original Bioshock, which is why I got it. I'll get around to it eventually lol

My biggest problem is my short attention span. There are lots of great games that I will never get through simply because they're too in-depth and require regular play. e.g. dragon age, witcher, kotor
    I like games that I can jump in and out of without having to relearn and catch up.
    It's commonly known as the precursor to Bioshock. Made by the same guy

Maybe you should check out the "Casual" or "Relaxing" sections. Floating Point and Pid are two I can recommend.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

Only game I have purchased is Prison Architect for £2.80 ish?

That was 2 days ago, still haven't opened it..

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Just grabbed Bastion for 3.74

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

rumor has it @Taric; is desperate for somebody to gift him typing of the dead.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    rumor has it @Taric; is desperate for somebody to gift him typing of the dead.
    I actually have that. I'd be happy to give it to him but don't think it's possible to transfer purchased items @Taric;

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

I actually have that. I'd be happy to give it to him but don't think it's possible to transfer purchased items @Taric;
    Don't go breaking my heaaaaartttttt!

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

lol nah, how'd you like it

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    lol nah, how'd you like it
    It's actually really cool. I type with two fingers, but so fast as makes no difference. My brother, on the other hand, is a veritable hunt-and-peck typer, so it's been quite beneficial to him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)

Hatoful Boyfriend is on sale guys. HATOFUL BOYFRIEND IS ON SALE.

It's a pigeon dating sim that gets really sad and depressing halfway through. 10/10 would cry about this more than my own mother's funeral.

It's not gay if it's efficient.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Why does portal 2 never go under $3 with how old it is
    I only buy games under $3, rest of my stuff people buy for me

@KeepBotting; whyyyyyyy
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Thread Information