Thread: Separating Games From Steam

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Default Separating Games From Steam

I'd like to know if anyone thinks it is possible to run Steam games without Steam. For some games this wouldn't make much sense, like most of the games with online components, but for some simple games there isn't much I know of tying the executable to Steam.

I had heard of an API that is available to developers, but based on my reading - which was in the context of game authors finding it hard to port games away from Steam - most of what is hard to remove is the online API, usually highscore tracking. I don't have good references but it seems like a lot of simple games are based on either GameMaker or SDL.

I'm most interested in a general process for almost any game, but I do have a list of games I've purchased that I want to run without Steam. Some of them I purchased from the Humble Bundle and were advertised as DRM-free, but most of the updates happen only to the Steam versions.
    The jealous temper of mankind, ever more disposed to censure than
    to praise the work of others, has constantly made the pursuit of new
    methods and systems no less perilous than the search after unknown
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

I am not aware of any existing technologies to accomplish this automatically. But, from a professional standpoint, I would assume if such a thing existed it would be something along the lines of a Steam emulator. That belief led me to this which seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I did not investigate if source code is included, however I know a lot of releases from this site are .NET and easily decompiled with Reflector.

Alternatively, another route could be to isolate the game itself (they are all installed in your Steam folder), then statically modify it with something like IDA or OllyDbg to patch out the Steam checks. This route however would be very game-specific and could be very involved.

EDIT:
    Mirrored here for convenience, looks like no source code is included.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4...is/1494452478/

Alternatively, Lutris is an opensource engine for Linux that can launch Steam games. Could probably find the relevant code in their repo.
    https://lutris.net/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

^^ smartsteamemu is probably the way to go. of course, its main purpose is for launching unlicensed games, from what ive gathered/seen. Unless just the patched steamapi is all thats required.

Of course, you probably lose all steam integration, ie friend invites and stuff, but you dont have any of those anyway, so no loss there.

idk. try it out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Of course, you probably lose all steam integration, ie friend invites and stuff, but you dont have any of those anyway, so no loss there.
    spittin' fire

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Unless just the patched steamapi is all thats required.
    Just keep in mind:
    Note:
    If you use cracked version that replace steam_api.dll, make sure you restore the original steam_api.dll file first.
    I assume, being a full emulation, no actual crack would be necessary unless its for game-specific DRM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Okay, that's helpful, thanks. Is there any way to package games as an executable that can run standalone? This is probably possible with SmartSteamEmu, but I think you get my point.

Not exactly related but I remember a modified steam client that could somehow download all games. Does anybody know how that would even be possible?
    lands and seas.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    328 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R0b0t1 View Post
    Okay, that's helpful, thanks. Is there any way to package games as an executable that can run standalone? This is probably possible with SmartSteamEmu, but I think you get my point.

Not exactly related but I remember a modified steam client that could somehow download all games. Does anybody know how that would even be possible?
    I remember the client you're talking about too, yearsss ago I used that. I have no idea what it was called or if it is still possible.

Your games already are packaged out of steam.
    \Steam\steamapps\common

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bank View Post
    I remember the client you're talking about too, yearsss ago I used that. I have no idea what it was called or if it is still possible.

Your games already are packaged out of steam.
    \Steam\steamapps\common
    but to run it with smart steam emu, you need both the game files, and the smart steam emu launcher.
    You could easily pack the executable (and data/gamefiles) together into 1 to have a single click using packers.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

but to run it with smart steam emu, you need both the game files, and the smart steam emu launcher.
    You could easily pack the executable (and data/gamefiles) together into 1 to have a single click using packers.
    That's what I meant. Or rather - I don't mind having a compressed file that includes game data, I'd just like to avoid an external program (that I don't have the source to). Can you give an example or will I need to write code to do this?
    Last edited by R0b0t1; 05-12-2017 at 02:12 AM.
    lands and seas.

Thread Information