Thread: any mechanical engineers or some type a machinist around here?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Question any mechanical engineers or some type a machinist around here?

ive recently been looking into it and really just want to hear what others have to say about it, it seems fairly simple. hopefully someone can help me out, give me tips, tell me what I need to learn/know etc etc any help would be appreciated! thanks

id be using: autoCAD, and a thermodynamics 1000 plasma table.
    >:)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chief herb View Post
    ive recently been looking into it and really just want to hear what others have to say about it, it seems fairly simple. hopefully someone can help me out, give me tips, tell me what I need to learn/know etc etc any help would be appreciated! thanks

For mechanical engineering, you will most likely be using mostly AutoCad Inventor, so just get used to that program (its a lot easier than Regular Autocad IMO).

What kind of tips are you looking for? I know that when I was taking some basic Autocad classes it was important to know that basic standards and how to show breakdowns of larger pieces. How to import and export documents and combine them into a single document. The proper ways to present ideas.

There is a a lot just on the program side of things to learn and there is so much in the programs that I would say its nearly impossible to know what it all does.

What is the end goal of this for you? You say you are using a thermodynamics 1000 plasma table, but don't say what you are using it for.

I know I did a very short internship with a small company in which they used mostly inventor coupled with CNC machines to make specialized parts for the flight industry and that was fun and extremely interesting.

Are you doing this for school (college) or are you doing this at a high school (I know that's where I learned most of what I know).

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Learn to draw objects from 3 different views. Top, bottom and right.

Learn different types of screws, fasteners, clamps and jigs.. Socket head cap screw, double threaded, etc..

Learn how to read dimensions with a specified scale.. 1:5 1:2 2:1 etc..

Learn AutoCad or Pro-E Wildfire. Learn how to use it well.

Take a physics class. Need to know lots about torque and forces acting on a beam.

Learn to use a vernier calliper and other types.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-16-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

I don't know that specific plasma table. Only know about older ones. Learn G-codes even though you most likely will use an automated variant.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzah View Post
    For mechanical engineering, you will most likely be using mostly AutoCad Inventor, so just get used to that program (its a lot easier than Regular Autocad IMO).

What kind of tips are you looking for? I know that when I was taking some basic Autocad classes it was important to know that basic standards and how to show breakdowns of larger pieces. How to import and export documents and combine them into a single document. The proper ways to present ideas.

There is a a lot just on the program side of things to learn and there is so much in the programs that I would say its nearly impossible to know what it all does.

What is the end goal of this for you? You say you are using a thermodynamics 1000 plasma table, but don't say what you are using it for.

I know I did a very short internship with a small company in which they used mostly inventor coupled with CNC machines to make specialized parts for the flight industry and that was fun and extremely interesting.

Are you doing this for school (college) or are you doing this at a high school (I know that's where I learned most of what I know).
    well my buddys dad owns a mechanic shop and has been talking to me about getting me working on it and making bank. but I know really nothing, besides the little studying ive done. thanks for your tips

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

well my buddys dad owns a mechanic shop and has been talking to me about getting me working on it and making bank. but I know really nothing, besides the little studying ive done. thanks for your tips
    mechanic shop = watch and learn in a few weeks, its kind of piss

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enslaved View Post
    mechanic shop = watch and learn in a few weeks, its kind of piss
    fasho, thanks hopefully he comes through with it!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Investment banking FTW. Fuck my engineering degree.

Thread Information