Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professions/life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Talking Professions/life?

Hey! this is mainly aimed at the developers + scripters on here.

I'm new here and I was simply wondering if you do this sort of as a hobby or if coding is more something that relates to your work (computing etc).

I'm doing chiropractic at uni and its a pretty busy course along with a few other things. I was wondering if this is something I can quite easily pick up on with 0 background knowledge,
    cause im pretty interested?

cheeers

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    429 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisownsu View Post

I'm new here and I was simply wondering if you do this sort of as a hobby or if coding is more something that relates to your work (computing etc).

I'm doing chiropractic at uni and its a pretty busy course along with a few other things. I was wondering if this is something I can quite easily pick up on with 0 background knowledge,

cheeers
    Good to see that you're interested in picking this up as a hobby! The first I ever learned about programming was when I joined this community almost 8 years ago. I dabble in a few languages here and there now but mostly I only script here for fun. It's a hobby level for me. My most recent script took over 2 months of development to finish because I only usually have time on weekends. I also took about 4 years off when I went to uni to focus on school, and now I'm a new graduate working in chemical engineering. I find that it's extremely fun and sometimes relaxing to script things and I like the challenge it brings to a completely different skill set. I have much more spare time now that I'm a working man compared to when I was in school, but it's definitely something you can do at the hobby level while in school. It's all a matter of setting priorities and knowing when you need to buckle down for work or get out with friends, and when you can just relax and write some sick code.

As an aside, I feel like picking up SRL is pretty easy and there are many good tutorials to give you the basics of coding with Simba.

Scripts: Edgeville Chop & Bank, GE Merchanting Aid
    Tutorials: How to Dominate the Grand Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by YoHoJo View Post
    I like hentai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

interesting to hear! and yeah I noticed some clear tuturials I'll get started on them soon

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

interesting to hear! and yeah I noticed some clear tuturials I'll get started on them soon
    great decision! i've started with this some months ago and its great fun! speacially when you finish a hard script in which you've overcomed many problems! it gives a great sense of fullfilment, but beware! it can take lots of hours without you even noticing

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)

Long story short: hobby -> job ->
    There used to be something meaningful here.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

I'm currently in my 3rd year at a University studying Mechanical engineering.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Sort of like Frement but without the job, I was introduced to programming here as a hobby and as a result I chose to study it in university.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Let's build a christmas tree.

I'm a step below BMW, started as a hobby, and I INTEND To study it in college.

no jobs, no colleges yet. :')

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I'm studying IT at university and ended up joining the community because of that, basically. You don't have to have an aim to enter the IT industry in order to script, but it can certainly point you in that direction if you discover that you love it and are really good at it.

So, to answer your implied question: yes, you can become a scripter with no problems, just read some tutorials (click the link in my tutorial for a thread index) and you'll be fine.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

I study IT too, however I learnt the most about programming on the internet, not in the school

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

I started when I was about 14 with 0 knowledge. SRL motivated me internally to pursue Computer Information Systems at my Uni, gave me a great background to understand programming languages; I did it for a hobby and would like to continue as soon as I finish my exams (wish me luck! ). You'll enjoy it especially if you have a lot of time to kill during school time, breaks, and etc.

Cheers!

~P1nky

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

First year Computer Science/Math double major. Don't intend to go forward in program development, but it definitely helped me in gaining logical reasoning skills. Torn between Law and Finance ;x

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    I just came for the hacks and the macros and the bots and the free scripts and I leeched all of dem evertim

nek minnut SSRL
    a true hero ^

on topic, I know a few people on another botting site that started it as a hobby and learned so much that they turned it into a career. They smoke not only their classmates in uni now, but sometimes even their teachers. I don't think that trend is going to be stopping anytime soon either ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I have been interested in programming and engineering my whole life. When I started botting RS was when I really started getting interested in programming but with sports and school I never really had the time. My career has been crazy so far.

I ended up getting a baseball scholarship to a SEC school. I left there (had to quit baseball) after my freshman semester to take a co-op position at NASA working with ISS. I left there after 6 months to finish my degree and go back to NASA. After a year I left school to intern for a game studio which was my dream job. I worked my ass off and within 6 months that game studio hired me full time with no degree as a designer/programmer. After going a year without school I just re-enrolled for a degree in game and simulation programming which I hope to get a masters in some type of engineering.

Now that I have the time, I am learning how to script RS as a hobby.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)

4th year EE & CS student at UC Berkeley. I've done plenty of coding over my undergraduate career so far and one thing I've seen is that it is all the same at one level or another (except C, C is still hard). But the pascal language used here is realistically pretty easy to pickup (probably a little bit harder than python but still easy). I'd suggest looking at a general tutorial for python or something if the language/programming is confusing you in general as there are simply more people and more resources for learning that language. If you can figure out one language though, you've basically got all the tools you need to pick up another within a day or two as almost every language (that is used...f whitespace and others like that) has the same constructs at its core.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Im right now in my second year of software engineering

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frement View Post
    This. Now working in software development.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I'm an anlaytical chemist/ Real estate agent
    but i am learning programing slowly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Filmmaking and Coding

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

I have been running my own successful paving and landscaping business unfortunately body has failed me at age 25.

I now freelance my digital media/marketing services; I have self-taught everything i know about computers.

As for coding?

Learning coding languages comes really easy? I have had ZERO formal education in regards to computer; as i would generally teach others - sometimes.. even if i didn't know exactly what i was doing.. But it worked!

I guess i have been around long enough; (2006) is when i first showed my faced on SRL.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frement View Post
    Same thing here

cheeers

I've done server/database stuff for many years & coding was mostly a hobby for just as long (around 14 years or so now) and I'd say coding is still mostly a hobby for me, however once in a while someone has a request and if I can do it, I do it!

I'd say I still know gnu/linux better than any code besides maybe php & javascript
    & postgresql I guess I'm decent at, probably better at optimizing database & buffers than actual sql lol

I'd say learning a bit of code can help you with anything really.. I've used much javascript because I can get away with coding it in offices that have computers locked down, and I use it for all sorts of automated things like combining hundreds of pdfs in certain orders / writing certain things on hundreds of them etc
    it maybe takes a work day to code something and then it does like 2-3 weeks worth of stuff in 5 minutes lol. These are things I've made just for other employees at jobs I've been at
    it's kinda cool, it really shows me that the average person should know one language, any language, and nearly any job would be more efficient if they could automate half the tasks they do daily.
    Last edited by grats; 02-02-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I'm an automotive spray painter by trade, count me out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

2nd year of community college, no job. Not much going on in my life =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information