Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to loose weight (or atleast, how I lost weight)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Thumbs up How to loose weight (or atleast, how I lost weight)

Introduction
    I've been feeling the need to repay the forum for all of the awesome contained here, and my scripting knowledge completely below standard, so I think I'll try to help you guys with some IRL Stuffs.

I've been chubby all my life, I look back at old pictures and just want to destroy them because I looked so bad. I decided to do something about it last year, right before my 16th birthday. I'm 17 now. With a combo of the gym and my diet, I've lost ~65 pounds to date. Nothing astronomical, but still great progress. Keep in mind this is also while having a pretty full schedule (school). A lot of the time was spent sorting through the shit and finding what actually works.

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but this is whats worked for me and it is based of a bunch of different techniques.

How I did it (The Guide)
    What works is a combination of things, you can't, in my experience, do one weight loss technique and expect it to work forever.

Do I need to go to the gym?
    Going to the gym helps but its not at all mandatory to loose weight. If you decide to go to the gym, do whatever you like. Weightlifting and/or cardio both raise your heart-rate and that's really what your going for. Say you want to do some cardio because you hear that's good for "burning fat", not really. Say you jog for 1 hour. Your burning 400 calories maximum, the equivalent of a muffin. The point of doing cardio is to raise your heart rate, which increases your metabolism.

Bottom line: Go to the gym if you enjoy it, it will better your results but it is not at all required.

Do I need to eat differently?
    Mostly. Depends on where it is right now. If you drink pop, stop. If you eat chips, stop. Fastfood, stop. Thats about it, anything else, go ahead eat it. That includes things like ice cream and hamburgers(although not fastfood ones). You need to find your BMI and subtract 500-700 from it. That is how many calories you need to eat, doesn't matter if it is from Icecream or whatever (expect those listed above). MyFitnessPal app for your phone is absolutely amazing just for tracking what you eat. Don't bother with their other shitty features. Also, the biggest part is being honest with yourself. You lie about how many calories your eating and your only harming your progess.

Bottom line: Don't eat what I mentioned above. Find your BMI and eat 500 less than that everyday.

When should I eat?
    This is one of the other techniques I have built into my plan. Its called Intermittent Fasting. Basically, you eat during certain hours of the day. I, myself, eat during a 7 hour period during the day. I don't eat breakfast until 1:30pm and I stop eating completely after 8:30pm. Only thing I do outside of that is have a cup of coffee in the morning(before 1:30pm) and drink water after 8:30pm. This gives your body lots of time before waking up and before going to bed to process your food and burn existing fat. This might sound like a load of shit but it works for me and many others. During your 7 hour eating period you can eat whatever(see: "Do I need to eat differently?" above) but it just needs to fit your calorie goal(BMI - 500 = Calorie Goal). At first this will be incredibly difficult, your going to feel like your a starving African child for the first week or so but then your body will adjust to it. Sometimes I go without eating till 2-3pm just because my body isn't hungry yet. Trust me this method, when in combination with what is said above and below, will work. (at least it does for me)

Bottom line: Only eat during a 5-7 hour period during the day, while eating follow the above steps and follow your calorie goal.

What else can I incorporate to help me?
    There are a couple little things that I have found to just help with this process:
    • Coffee: speeds up your metabolism, makes you poop, helps you stay awake too. If you don't like the taste, stop being a pussy. Jk. But seriously if you don't like the taste you can buy caffeine pills
    • Water: If you can slowly up your water consumption to around a gallon a day, that's perfect and your body will thank you.
    • High Protein: Eating a shit ton of protein also helps me, if I knew yesterday was a bad day (I gained weight) I know I can fix that with a day of eating high protein foods(chicken/tuna/eggs)
    • Fiber: If all those high protein foods "stuffed you up", then you can supplement in some fiber to help your anus out

Is that it?
    Yea pretty much. A combo of those steps has allowed me to loose ~65 pounds. I think at my peak I was ~200lbs (A non-active 16 year old who is 5'7" ...that's fat). I'm now ~135lbs and I think I can shred another 15 to be at my perfect weight.

Thanks for reading my ramble that will hopefully help you loose weight. I hope it wasn't too difficult to read. Any questions below are fine but just keep the broscience to a minimum lol.

tl;dr:
    • Be active if you can
    • Don't eat fastfood, chips, or pop.
    • Count your calories and eat a caloric deficit of around 500
    • Do Intermittent Fasting
    • Drink Coffee/Take Caffeine
    • Keep hydrated/Drink ~1 gallon of water a day
    • Lots of Protein
    • Supplement fiber to keep your bowels moving at a steady pace

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

This is exactly what I did but I decided to use a macro calculator as well (not at all needed for us non hardcore gym freaks). I have gone from 5'8 170 to 160 in 3 months and am feeling good. Intermittent fasting works. No denying it

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I know that you have good intentions, and I understand that this has worked for you, but when it comes to people's health you really need to make sure you know exactly what you're talking about before you give out advice. For example, telling people to subtract a certain amount of calories from their Body Mass Index (which is a hilariously outdated and misunderstood measurement that should never, EVER be used for individual measurement again) can be plain bad advice, or possibly even dangerous. Here's a simple example of why the BMI calculation itself is so inaccurate:

Not to mention that suggesting people start drinking lots of coffee or taking caffeine pills is potentially life-threatening and shouldn't even be considered as a method of "weight loss".

For any and all information on lowering your body-fat percentage (if you want to lose weight, chop a limb off) I recommend reading this thread on bodybuilding.com and doing as much research on how the human body works as possible. Note that it's not just a website for bodybuilders, even though that is its primary focus.

It's also not as hard as it looks, but the safest way to burn fat and build muscle (both of which combined is what people refer to as being toned/ripped depending on the amount of muscle and body-fat percentage) is to actually understand how the human body works. There's far too much misleading and dangerous information out there in the health industry that filtering through it to find the stuff that's actually founded in science can be difficult, but you'll thank yourself in the end for doing it right the first time.

Again, I understand that you have good intentions, and I don't intend this to crap all over your advice, but people's health is a serious matter, and it should be taken seriously.

Congratulations on your success so far, I sincerely hope that you stay healthy and learn from what I've posted above.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that there really is no such thing as an "ideal weight" based on the shortcomings mentioned above. A man that weighs 100kg (220 pounds) could have a body-fat percentage of 30-40% and be obese, or have a body-fat percentage of 10-12%, weigh mostly muscle/bone/etc, and look ripped. Here's a VERY ROUGH example of different body-fat percentages:

A larger photo can be easily found by Googling "body-fat percentage" and checking the image search.
    Last edited by Incurable; 09-14-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added emphasis to rough. ;P

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

according to that picture im at 15% .. just 3 % more to go to get perfect for summer

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

That 20% picture is more cut up than the 15% picture lol, those are not accurate body fat percentage pictures at least for the men.

10-12% is literally "BARELY" being able to see abs

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [XoL] View Post
    That 20% picture is more cut up than the 15% picture lol, those are not accurate body fat percentage pictures at least for the men.

10-12% is literally "BARELY" being able to see abs
    Hence "rough example".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

The girl at 25% can come workout at my house anytime lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

The biggest thing for me is the fast food. It is just so convenient to drive and get it. Plus its delicious.
    “Oh, hi. So, how are you holding up? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO"
    http://www.southweststandard.com

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by klae17 View Post
    The biggest thing for me is the fast food. It is just so convenient to drive and get it. Plus its delicious.
    That's a problem we all have. I've found the best way to deal with that is to learn how to make quick and easy meals that are still healthy to eat, or pre-cook meals so that they're already made each night when you go to have dinner. You can actually make a healthy dinner in less time than it takes to drive to Macca's/etc, order, wait for it to be cooked, and drive home.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
    That's a problem we all have. I've found the best way to deal with that is to learn how to make quick and easy meals that are still healthy to eat, or pre-cook meals so that they're already made each night when you go to have dinner. You can actually make a healthy dinner in less time than it takes to drive to Macca's/etc, order, wait for it to be cooked, and drive home.
    Its probably not very healthy to eat the way I do but, fuck it. I just eat what works for me, after testing. So basically my breakfasts and lunchs are the same daily and then my dinner varies slightly everynight. Thats how I make it so what Im eating fits into my "diet".

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    254 Post(s)

Some pretty good advice by @Incurable; but the bodyfat chart is VERY rough, not just rough :P

25% BF for females is nice, they store more fat in general.

Not a fan of BMI/BMR. I'm overweight according to my BMI and my BMR is 2290 calories. In reality I'm leaner than 90% of the population at 101kg. Taking 500 calories off those 2300.. I would starve at 1800 calories a day.

But yeah good intentions, and it worked for you. In general people should just eat less, exercise more and your body fat will drop.

Script source code available here: Github

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    Its probably not very healthy to eat the way I do but, fuck it. I just eat what works for me, after testing. So basically my breakfasts and lunchs are the same daily and then my dinner varies slightly everynight. Thats how I make it so what Im eating fits into my "diet".
    If it works for you, then more power to you!

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Some pretty good advice by @Incurable; but the bodyfat chart is VERY rough, not just rough :P
    I edited my first post to add some emphasis, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by J J View Post
    Not a fan of BMI/BMR. I'm overweight according to my BMI and my BMR is 2290 calories. In reality I'm leaner than 90% of the population at 101kg. Taking 500 calories off those 2300.. I would starve at 1800 calories a day.
    I personally found using BMR/etc to calculate a TEE worked for me. Of course you have to adjust it over the course of a few weeks to find the maintenance level that works best for you, but once you've gotten there, it's pretty accurate, imo.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Honestly, the best and simplest way to loose weight is to do a ton of cardio, do weight training and eat less. People always make a big deal about the small stuff, but as long as your burning more calories than you consume your fine.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    Actually, the best way to lose weight is to eat fat.
    Best way is to not eat.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

can we get a guide on how to gain weight

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Best way is to not eat.
    I wasn't being sarcastic Low CHO + high fat = metabolically fat adapted (i.e. ketogenic state) where you're body begins to use fat as it's primary source of fuel.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

I wasn't being sarcastic Low CHO + high fat = metabolically fat adapted (i.e. ketogenic state) where you're body begins to use fat as it's primary source of fuel.
    No I know, I did Keto for 6 months. I was just arguing that any calories are going to make you lose less fat than no calories at all. You would enter a ketogenic state not eating anything, same as you would having most of your calories come from fat.

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I was just arguing that any calories are going to make you lose less fat than no calories at all. You would enter a ketogenic state not eating anything, same as you would having most of your calories come from fat.
    If you didn't eat you'd be dead.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

If you didn't eat you'd be dead.
    But think of how much weight you'd lose!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

What was posted in the OP is very similar to the Leangains method although simplified quite a bit. Leangains is actually very effective for losing weight and toning/building muscle. I have a few friends that basically live by Leangains and all of them are absolutely ripped. Check out this link if you are interested: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

And here I'm trying to gain some weight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is a good fitness guide that I've read over and implemented; liamrosencom/fitness.html .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I'm a qualified personal trainer and nutritionist and ITF is very very bad for your body and your metabolism.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information