Thread: I want to get into scripting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default I want to get into scripting.

Hey guys,

I want to get into scripting and I'm currently at 0% and wanted to ask if you guys have some guides to recommend to me.

I'm not sure which guide to follow because there are a lot of guides and mostly outdated I think? So if you know some good guides for beginners to helped you out please share ^^.

'K

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayiar View Post
    Hey guys,

I want to get into scripting and I'm currently at 0% and wanted to ask if you guys have some guides to recommend to me.

I'm not sure which guide to follow because there are a lot of guides and mostly outdated I think? So if you know some good guides for beginners to helped you out please share ^^.

'K
    Here is a good place to start: https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58935
    Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Okay thank you

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Go through the tutorial (The one Citrus posted). Once you go through that & grab the fundamentals/foundation/concepts, I highly recommend you to download scripts by others and learn what/why/how they coded their script. This is how I got my hands dirty. I even would grab peoples code and tweak it to my need (just don't go out and publish it to the public claiming it's all yours, unless you get permission ).

Good luck, hope to see your name in yellow!

edit:

Check out this link:
    https://selftaughtcoders.com/how-to-...-peoples-code/

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    @Kayiar; in addition to the tutorials, we answer any questions in the SRL discord: https://discord.gg/bgN9srT
    I'm not sure how after all this time I just found out there's a discord. Awesome, now I get you bore y'all with my questions.

Anyways, @OP I'd suggest also just looking up basic programming explanations on google/youtube for the vernacular and so forth. It's relatively easy to pick up pascalscript etc. if you understand computer programming but another if you have 0% knowledge of it.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JSmooth View Post
    I'm not sure how after all this time I just found out there's a discord. Awesome, now I get you bore y'all with my questions.

Anyways, @OP I'd suggest also just looking up basic programming explanations on google/youtube for the vernacular and so forth. It's relatively easy to pick up pascalscript etc. if you understand computer programming but another if you have 0% knowledge of it.
    SRL staff clings to the IRC chat as the "official" chat...Not interested in the debate but I don't see the harm in putting a discord link in its headers...seeing as IRC is mostly banter/trolling and chat amongst old friends whereas SRL scripting specific questions are being answered all the time in the discord @core; @BenLand100;

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    SRL staff clings to the IRC chat as the "official" chat...Not interested in the debate but I don't see the harm in putting a discord link in its headers...seeing as IRC is mostly banter/trolling and chat amongst old friends whereas SRL scripting specific questions are being answered all the time in the discord @core; @BenLand100;
    Pretty much this, IRC is great fun and I see lots of general/programming/theory/administration-type questions answered there

The bulk of the community is certainly on Discord though and that's where I see RuneScape/Simba/SRL questions asked and answered most often
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Thread Information