Thread: RAMdisk Runescape is so much more enjoyable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Default RAMdisk Runescape is so much more enjoyable

Just wanted to share my experience utilizing ramdisk software to play runescape. It works really freaking awesome . The worst zoning/lag spikes are dropped to the barest of moments. GE is a sliver from instant on the worst server and everything else is perfectly smooth now. Turn up max settings and enjoy

Requirements:
    1.) NTFS formatted C:\ drive, so basically Vista or higher Operating System
    2.) 850MB or more unutilized RAM when your PC is under regular RS gaming load.
    3.) Ramdisk software
    4.) Runescape desktop client installed

Make a ~850MB Ramdisk drive named A for example and format NTFS. Not many people will have floppy drive conflicts I hope The file that will be copied over is about 800MB but there needs to be some headroom for the NTFS formatting you need to do on the drive. If there isn't 800MB left to the drive after formatting then you need to allocate a little more memory.

Cut and paste your jagexcache folder to drive A. If you have windows Vista/7/8 then you'll find it in your C:\Users\YOURaccountNAMEhere\jagexcache Just cut and paste that over to A:\

Now you need to make a junction point of the folder back onto your C:\ drive in your C:\Users\YOURaccountNAMEhere\ folder. So just press WindowsKey+s and type CMD into the search bar that pops up. Right click the Command Prompt.exe and run as Admin. After your command prompt opens you have to use the mklink.exe to make the junction point. There are several other options to get this done so google if you want but I think you should just use the following mklink command.
    > mklink /j "C:\users\YOURaccountNAMEhere\jagexcache" "A:\jagexcache"

so in the above command: the first windows directory address creates a jagexcache folder that links to the folder jagexcache on drive A.

Now that all that is done all you have to do is use the shortcut that the installation of the Runescape Windows Client put on your desktop. You have to run Runescape from the shortcut, nothing has changed here. It gets confusing if I have to explain how to make your own shortcut in case the default one is deleted. Just google how to add launch options to a shortcut and add runescape as a launch option to the new shortcut you make yourself. jagexcache\jagexlauncher\bin\jagexlauncher.exe is the file you want to make a shortcut out of

Wish you all the best, this is totally worth the effort if you play runescape a lot!

EXTRA:
    You could just throw jagexcache\runescape\LIVE folder onto a ramdisk for basically the same performance but it only cuts 80MB from the requirements.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Extremely interesting. I'll have to try this sometime soon. Thanks for the share OP.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

No need for any special software if using Linux or Mac:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/rmdsk
    mount -o size=20G -t tmpfs none /mnt/rmdsk
    That's what I did for my hackintosh (yosemite 10.10).. Also used it to get more shared-memory on linux. For RS, I think you'd just have to symlink the folder to the ramdisk and voila..
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-31-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

And another brandon post which in cannot understand

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undorak7 View Post
    And another brandon post which in cannot understand
    Basically.. for Mac and Linux, there is no need for extra software. Just run 2-3 commands and you have a ramdisk made.. All I did was post the commands above. I was mentioning that /dev/shm is tempfs that could be mounted as a ramdisk when you map memory (ex: SMART).. but ignore that part.

All you need is the commands shown to do what OP did on linux and mac. Much less steps to follow.. I don't think it's a good idea all the time though. Can have some serious side effects..
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-31-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Basically.. for Mac and Linux, there is no need for extra software. Just run 2-3 commands and you have a ramdisk made.. All I did was post the commands above. I was mentioning that /dev/shm is tempfs that could be mounted as a ramdisk when you map memory (ex: SMART).. but ignore that part.

All you need is the commands shown to do what OP did on linux and mac. Much less steps to follow.. I don't think it's a good idea all the time though. Can have some serious side effects..
    thanks, get it now :P Linux rlzzz, i would love to be able to use linux correctly, i've tried a few times, but to get the juice out of it you have to be like you, know lots of coding eheh

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

That's pretty good to know, thanks for sharing =)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)

I don't think it's a good idea all the time though. Can have some serious side effects..
    Could you elaborate? What side effects?

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyt3x View Post
    Could you elaborate? What side effects?
    OS could start swapping the pages using as much I/O as possible.. Which the ram disk was supposed to minimise in the first place. Essentially.. thrashing occurs and slows the system down to snail pace.

This can happen if you allocate too much RAM and other programs need some. Could be fighting with the cache as well.. Anyway, the more RAM you have, the better..

Ex: 32GB system - Allocate 8GB ramdisk.. The rest of the system will only have 24GB left for other applications and things..
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-08-2014 at 04:18 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

OS could start swapping the pages using as much I/O as possible.. Which the ram disk was supposed to minimise in the first place. Essentially.. thrashing occurs and slows the system down to snail pace.

This can happen if you allocate too much RAM and other programs need some. Could be fighting with the cache as well.. Anyway, the more RAM you have, the better..

Ex: 32GB system - Allocate 8GB ramdisk.. The rest of the system will only have 24GB left for other applications and things..
    'Only' 24GB RAM

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

No need for any special software if using Linux or Mac:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/rmdsk
    mount -o size=20G -t tmpfs none /mnt/rmdsk
    That's what I did for my hackintosh (yosemite 10.10).. Also used it to get more shared-memory on linux. For RS, I think you'd just have to symlink the folder to the ramdisk and voila..
    Could you show me the specs of your hackintosh, including price!?
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onilika View Post
    Could you show me the specs of your hackintosh, including price!?
    Not sure if I can show you the exact laptop because it has custom parts.. The basic is this: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrab...pecifications/ and http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrab...pecifications/ combined.. sorta..

Mine is the S56CM with a K56CM motherboard, 2.4Ghz turbo boost to 2.7Ghz, Nvidia 635M (discrete) + HD4000 (integrated), 16GB RAM, Atheros AR9285-AR5B195 Half PCIe BT combo, 24GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Realtek ALC 270 + IntelHD Audio.

Price was $600 Canadian. That specific Atheros card can be bought for 10$ on ebay. The default the laptop comes with is the AR9485 which isn't compatible with OSX at all.. The laptop's price is a lot more atm (I bought it in 2012 on sale directly from the manufacturer)..

Patches for all S56*, K56*, etc.. *could be CB, CM, CA, etc.. All work out of the box without custom parts (except for the wifi which requires the card above or similar)

https://github.com/Brandon-T/S56CM-K56CM-MB

You can get way better and cheaper and newer laptops that also work out of the box.. or a desktop (I prefer laptops personally).
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-08-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)

Not sure if I can show you the exact laptop because it has custom parts.. The basic is this: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrab...pecifications/ and http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrab...pecifications/ combined.. sorta..

Mine is the S56CM with a K56CM motherboard, 2.4Ghz turbo boost to 2.7Ghz, Nvidia 635M (discrete) + HD4000 (integrated), 16GB RAM, Atheros AR9285-AR5B195 Half PCIe BT combo, 24GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Realtek ALC 270 + IntelHD Audio.

Price was $600 Canadian. That specific Atheros card can be bought for 10$ on ebay. The default the laptop comes with is the AR9485 which isn't compatible with OSX at all.. The laptop's price is a lot more atm (I bought it in 2012 on sale directly from the manufacturer)..

Patches for all S56*, K56*, etc.. *could be CB, CM, CA, etc.. All work out of the box without custom parts (except for the wifi which requires the card above or similar)

https://github.com/Brandon-T/S56CM-K56CM-MB

You can get way better and cheaper and newer laptops that also work out of the box.. or a desktop (I prefer laptops personally).

I wanted to have a hackintosh, or either a macbook air and a good desktop :/ but a hackintosh with both OS would be great
    ''If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done''

total leve 2715/1b exp +... exterminated.

Thread Information