Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy s6

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    620 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I can't understand it... The 4,000 battery is nice, but everything else is far below standard. Is it the design that you guys like so much? The specifications are very low.
    Well for $150 it's a great spec!
    #slack4admin2016
    <slacky> I will build a wall
    <slacky> I will ban reflection and OGL hooking until we know what the hell is going on

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

I can't understand it... The 4,000 battery is nice, but everything else is far below standard. Is it the design that you guys like so much? The specifications are very low.
    That battery life at that price? it's wayyyy worth it. I don't want to pay double the price for phone bill.. I do like $30 a year.

It has plenty of "hardware" and isn't really below standard
    I prefer battery life

also everything today is built like this:

if things weren't built so shitty today, you could run way more on systems than you can.. android is an amazing example of something that is built this way, they literally throw more code on top of broken crap just to get it to work properly

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Well for $150 it's a great spec!
    && this again, and again
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grats View Post
    seems cool

I'm watching http://www.spectrumhq.net/aura really closely

want to see how that turns out.
    That phone looks perfect. Right now I have an LG Optimus G that I got for $75 ($60 for the phone, $15 for a replacement volume button)

It's similar to that phone in a lot of ways except it has half the (non-removable) battery capacity and no SD card slot. At least LG gave it 32GB of storage (25GB user available)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    That phone looks perfect. Right now I have an LG Optimus G that I got for $75 ($60 for the phone, $15 for a replacement volume button)

It's similar to that phone in a lot of ways except it has half the (non-removable) battery capacity and no SD card slot. At least LG gave it 32GB of storage (25GB user available)
    yea I really really hope to see good reviews it'll be nice ot get a $150 phone and get some on the go plan and spend like $50 a year on phone service lol

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1598 Post(s)

I don't find the specs low at all :S I don't see why I need a laptop in a phone or watch..

I only use my phone for calls & texting. I don't use apps or any of the fancy stuff. Occasionally I use my phone to develop apps but that's about it. For this reason, size, design and battery are priority for me. A small phone, nice design and battery; I'm happy. I'm unhappy if my phone is the size of a tablet or brick PSP. I don't care much for quad core or anything special. I have a nice custom ultra-book for that.

TLDR: I can survive with a brick or flip phone.

Curious though. Why is its specs bad (under standard/quality) in your opinion?
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-10-2015 at 03:36 AM.
    I am Ggzz..
    Hackintosher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I don't find the specs low at all :S I don't see why I need a laptop in a phone or watch..

I only use my phone for calls & texting. I don't use apps or any of the fancy stuff. Occasionally I use my phone to develop apps but that's about it. For this reason, size, design and battery are priority for me. A small phone, nice design and battery; I'm happy. I'm unhappy if my phone is the size of a tablet or brick PSP. I don't care much for quad core or anything special. I have a nice custom ultra-book for that.

TLDR: I can survive with a brick or flip phone.

Curious though. Why is its specs bad (under standard/quality) in your opinion?
    My assumption would be the low ram, since most flagships are moving onto 3GB ram, minus the iPhone. Multitasking, etc.
    Camera has lower megapixels compared to current flagships which shouldn't mean much, but most people interpret higher megapixels = better quality photos.
    Lack of LTE for data connections and 1280x720 display might be some other ones. The 1280x720 display would probably help with battery consumption, along with most parts on this phone, which definitely helps it's claim of being long usage time oriented.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

It has plenty of "hardware" and isn't really below standard
    I prefer battery life
    This phone could be compared to the Galaxy SII or SIII. First off only the version of Aura with 2GB RAM is worth buying; nothing running a quad-core (or higher) CPU should have less than 2GB RAM. The MTK6582 CPU has a max of 1.3ghz and comes with the super old Mali-400. Those of you who don't know, Mali is the cheaper brand of GPUs and, performance-wise, falls behind of Adreno and Tegra. Here is a good benchmark of multiple mobile GPUs including Mali-400.

Actually many of the MediaTek octacore phones are around that price. There's the ulefone Be Pro that has a 64-bit 1.5ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, Android KitKat, 4G, 13/8 mp rear/front cameras. And that costs $160 but only has a 2600 battery.

Then there's the Kingzone N3+ which has similar specs with the one above but with a much sexier design. The cameras on both are the same cameras used in OnePlus One.

So honestly if you're going to buy a phone for that price, buy something with higher specs.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

I'd still prefer a OnePlus One compared to the Spectrum Aura. When the OnePlus Two comes out it will destroy everything, the only problem is that it's incredibly expensive (going by the pre-sale prices ~500usd).

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

This phone could be compared to the Galaxy SII or SIII. First off only the version of Aura with 2GB RAM is worth buying; nothing running a quad-core (or higher) CPU should have less than 2GB RAM. The MTK6582 CPU has a max of 1.3ghz and comes with the super old Mali-400. Those of you who don't know, Mali is the cheaper brand of GPUs and, performance-wise, falls behind of Adreno and Tegra. Here is a good benchmark of multiple mobile GPUs including Mali-400.

Actually many of the MediaTek octacore phones are around that price. There's the ulefone Be Pro that has a 64-bit 1.5ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, Android KitKat, 4G, 13/8 mp rear/front cameras. And that costs $160 but only has a 2600 battery.

Then there's the Kingzone N3+ which has similar specs with the one above but with a much sexier design. The cameras on both are the same cameras used in OnePlus One.

So honestly if you're going to buy a phone for that price, buy something with higher specs.
    naw

after your phones are dead in 1/3rd a day I'll be computing for 1-2 days longer

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

naw

Power Bank master race bro

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

what is the point of a octacore processor in a phone lol I wouldn't even want that in my laptop

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

naw

The Aura has a 4,000mAh and the ulefone / Kingzone phones have 2,600 / 2,800 respectively. So if those phones go dead in a 1/3rd of a day, yours will die in 2/3rds of a day. Also, those 64bit chips are twice the processing speed and they're a significantly newer generation of CPU; they're much less energy-consuming compared with MTK6582. This is normal for mobile CPUs to become more energy-efficient with each new generation of chip.

So again, the only advantage of the Aura is the 4,000 battery which doesn't put it far ahead, if at all, of a new generation energy-efficient 64-bit CPU. If that 4,000 batter lasts longer then there's your only advantage, the two phones I listed above dominate in every of area of specifications.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    I'd still prefer a OnePlus One compared to the Spectrum Aura. When the OnePlus Two comes out it will destroy everything, the only problem is that it's incredibly expensive (going by the pre-sale prices ~500usd).
    I'm a fan of the OnePlus One, they usually do have the highest specifications available at the time of release and for much less of the price. On the subject of the OnePlus Two I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with 4GB RAM as a few phones are already including.
    Last edited by Flight; 03-10-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

The Aura has a 4,000mAh and the ulefone / Kingzone phones have 2,600 / 2,800 respectively. So if those phones go dead in a 1/3rd of a day, yours will die in 2/3rds of a day. Also, those 64bit chips are twice the processing speed and they're a significantly newer generation of CPU; they're much less energy-consuming compared with MTK6582. This is normal for mobile CPUs to become more energy-efficient with each new generation of chip.

So again, the only advantage of the Aura is the 4,000 battery which doesn't put it far ahead, if at all, of a new generation energy-efficient 64-bit CPU. If that 4,000 batter lasts longer then there's your only advantage, the two phones I listed above dominate in every of area of specifications.

Edit:

I'm a fan of the OnePlus One, they usually do have the highest specifications available at the time of release and for much less of the price. On the subject of the OnePlus Two I'm a bit surprised they didn't go with 4GB RAM as a few phones are already including.
    CPU's are what like 10% of power consumption? lel

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    what is the point of a octacore processor in a phone lol I wouldn't even want that in my laptop
    if I want processing power I throw something at my server

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Sounds like that is another excuse for them to make money. First Verizon and ATT locked the phones to where you have to use safestrap to get around it. Then they choose to sell unlocked phones at a higher cost. I do hate the fact that took away the MicroSD that is one of the reasons I haven't went towards apple. I hate being tied down especially to things that I have bought.

Quote Originally Posted by rj View Post
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php
    Coming out this month (at-least in the US)

I have always been sort of a 'samsung fanboy' (just kidding but I love my s4) but the s6 won't have a microSD slot, and you can't remove the battery. Removable battery isn't a big deal to me, though I understand if your battery gets messed up it's easier to just buy another for $10 instead of paying $100 to sending it to samsung.

But no microSD slot.... DEAL BREAKER. The one thing I loved the most about my s4 is the fact that I could put a microsd card in with all my movies and store apps on it. I don't see any point in spending a extra $200+(or whatever ridiculous markup there is) for 64 extra gigs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylastregret View Post
    Sounds like that is another excuse for them to make money. First Verizon and ATT locked the phones to where you have to use safestrap to get around it. Then they choose to sell unlocked phones at a higher cost. I do hate the fact that took away the MicroSD that is one of the reasons I haven't went towards apple. I hate being tied down especially to things that I have bought.
    Most likely because of the new flash memory and RAM which allow the phone to have writing/reading speed 4 times better than any other phone on the market. MicroSDs would slow the phone down and then the complaints about the lag would start rolling in.

Probably my next phone, I can forgive the design, S6 is great in every other way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

well it would be nice to have extra storage space which would be nice.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

I've owned three HTC's over the years and every one of them has been absolutely fantastic. I've had my HTC One XL for two years now (not the M7, the one before it) and my contract ended in January. When this phone finally kicks it I'll be buying the M9 or next year's model (if it lasts that long, which I don't doubt) for sure.

Honestly, Samsung has never appealed to me, and Apple disgusts me, so HTC it is for me.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylastregret View Post
    well it would be nice to have extra storage space which would be nice.
    Well AFAIK they are giving 115GB of Cloud Storage from Microsoft for two years, so that should be enough.
    @Incurable I hope you have read about HTC M9 overheating - http://www.androidguys.com/2015/03/1...s-131-degrees/ after stuff like that, I finally decided not to get one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Im New Sry View Post
    Well AFAIK they are giving 115GB of Cloud Storage from Microsoft for two years, so that should be enough.
    @Incurable I hope you have read about HTC M9 overheating - http://www.androidguys.com/2015/03/1...s-131-degrees/ after stuff like that, I finally decided not to get one.

Oh goody, Cloud Storage. It's probably my inner tinfoil speaking, but I don't trust cloud storage. Don't view it as secure enough. I have no actual reason for security, but prefer it over simplicity, most of the time.
    The overheating, I saw that before, but didn't think it was real. My phone at 37 degrees feels hot enough, 55.4 must be like holding a miniature computational oven in your hands.
    Again, hopes are up for the Note 5, hopefully they won't fuck it over like the S6.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zaboomasimba View Post
    Oh goody, Cloud Storage. It's probably my inner tinfoil speaking, but I don't trust cloud storage. Don't view it as secure enough. I have no actual reason for security, but prefer it over simplicity, most of the time.
    The overheating, I saw that before, but didn't think it was real. My phone at 37 degrees feels hot enough, 55.4 must be like holding a miniature computational oven in your hands.
    Again, hopes are up for the Note 5, hopefully they won't fuck it over like the S6.
    Haha, they shouldn't since they have taken another path now. A better one. I'm spending my money on an S6. Just gonna get it in 64gb to be safe. I'm not sure about color yet.

PS the S6 isn't fucked. As I said, the cards would most likely stall the phone.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Im New Sry View Post
    That article really doesn't say much, it's all speculation based on benchmarks done at a trade show or something. The average person is never going to do anything intensive enough with their phone to have it overheat, and the comparison to third degree burns from water is total bollocks.

New to scripting? Procedures & Functions for Beginners
    Do you use your computer at night? Just get f.lux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

i have been using iPhone since 2009 and i still loving it, but i think my next smartphone i purchase will be Samsung's S6 Edge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Meh, I got a OnePlus One 64GB and it's alright. I've always had iPhones, so changing to Android was a really big step.
    Pretty sure I'm going to purchase an iPhone the next time I need a new phone and not an android phone like Samsung Galaxy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

I don't like cloud storage as an alternative to local storage. It assumes that I have a super fast unlimited data plan so I don't mind downloading something whenever I want to use it, which isn't true.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    I don't like cloud storage as an alternative to local storage. It assumes that I have a super fast unlimited data plan so I don't mind downloading something whenever I want to use it, which isn't true.
    Yeah, I can see that happening. Of course it's not as good as having a microSD, but there are a lot of public WiFi hotspots nowadays, which is helpful. At least it's better than no alternative at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information