Thread: Anyone else find coding with Simba a nightmare?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Default Anyone else find coding with Simba a nightmare?

After getting used to Lape, I've noticed Simba overall is very unstable and somewhat of a nightmare to script with, in an hour I go through 20-30 different new instances of Simba after it crashes or throws some sort of access violation error when I try to compile. The code-completion tends to crash Simba or straight up stop working. The function list doesn't seem to work very well, forcing me to open the lib's files and manually search for function/method names and params (At least in ogLib, I've noticed the same with SRL-6 and OSRS Reflection)

I've recently started using a Java Bot client to make some private scripts instead, after using an Intellij or even Eclipse, I refuse to go back to Simba. I talked with hoodz a little about it, and he seemed to share the same thoughts.

Not trying to bash Simba, the community here and what Wizzup does is amazing, I just cannot bring myself up to use Simba for pretty much anything, and I've now spent several hours searching all over the place to figure out if there's some way I can use Simba's built-in functions and code with Lape in Intellij, but I've found nothing thus-far.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)

Yeah that's been a problem with simba, especially the code completion. I haven't written a script in simba in a while, but when I used to and also when I work on the reflection include I just use Notepadd++ for the writing and then just transfer it over to simba when i'm done. It's a bit annoying but at least then you don't have to worry about crashes.
    “The long-lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all that they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.” - Marcus Aurelius

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

Nope. I script all day and Simba is fine.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

I switched from Simba to Brackets for a while then back to Simba. I agree, the constant crashes absolutely suck and it makes my eyes bleed at night without a dark theme, but I really like the code completion (when it works).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

I think it was Olly that released a modified Simba with better Code Completion, but the crashes still occur.

Would be awesome to see Wizzup or someone create a plugin for Eclipse or Intellij with Pascal+Lape and Simba's functions. I know there's already a plugin for Pascal, but I haven't played with it much.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    717 Post(s)

Am I the only one that doesn't have simba crashing problems?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NKN View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't have simba crashing problems?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    I think it was Olly that released a modified Simba with better Code Completion, but the crashes still occur.

Would be awesome to see Wizzup or someone create a plugin for Eclipse or Intellij with Pascal+Lape and Simba's functions. I know there's already a plugin for Pascal, but I haven't played with it much.
    I switched to Olly's build and have had maybe two crashes, and I doubt they were Simba's fault.

Scripting without Olly's build is a nightmare, though.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twinki View Post
    After getting used to Lape, I've noticed Simba overall is very unstable and somewhat of a nightmare to script with, in an hour I go through 20-30 different new instances of Simba after it crashes or throws some sort of access violation error when I try to compile. The code-completion tends to crash Simba or straight up stop working. The function list doesn't seem to work very well, forcing me to open the lib's files and manually search for function/method names and params (At least in ogLib, I've noticed the same with SRL-6 and OSRS Reflection)

I've recently started using a Java Bot client to make some private scripts instead, after using an Intellij or even Eclipse, I refuse to go back to Simba. I talked with hoodz a little about it, and he seemed to share the same thoughts.

Not trying to bash Simba, the community here and what Wizzup does is amazing, I just cannot bring myself up to use Simba for pretty much anything, and I've now spent several hours searching all over the place to figure out if there's some way I can use Simba's built-in functions and code with Lape in Intellij, but I've found nothing thus-far.
    Simba doesn't seem to do very well with long run sessions either. Simba and SMART will occasionally refuse to recognize one another at all forcing me to restart simba all together.

Player manager always crashes when closing simba and never saves the player info. The functions list issue you bring up is probably the biggest gripe for me also.

I know that the libraries are loaded into simba and that there's documentation written into the libraries, but trying to reference to them through simba takes me to a 404'd website too often.

Fortunately, none of the issues are significant or frequent enough to ruin the scripting experience, but they do get on my nerves when they do happen.

All in all, it's not bad. After using dr java throughout school simba's quirks don't really bother me.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hackingislol133 View Post
    Player manager always crashes [...] never saves the player info.
    In my experience, this only happens when you force-terminate the script, which is done by double-clicking the stop button or mashing F2(?)
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    In my experience, this only happens when you force-terminate the script, which is done by double-clicking the stop button or mashing F2(?)
    Opening up a fresh simba window, saving army and login details into player manager, and exiting normally always cause the issue for me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    229 Post(s)

I never experience these issues but when I help people over teamviewer with setting up simba, it occurs a lot for them.
    Tsunami

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    I switched to Olly's build and have had maybe two crashes, and I doubt they were Simba's fault.

Scripting without Olly's build is a nightmare, though.
    I get less crashes with Olly's build, but it's still a nightmare to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidity View Post
    I never experience these issues but when I help people over teamviewer with setting up simba, it occurs a lot for them.
    Perhaps this is hardware or OS related, interesting.

Overall though, I would like to see some updates for Simba.. or perhaps someone could come up with plugins for other IDE's, I have no idea how any of it works, the only thing I've gotten working is Pascal in Intellij, but it doesn't seem like it supports Lape.

I really want to get back to scripting here on Villavu, but after using Intellij.. I can't bring myself to deal with Simba.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

TIP: if you're using the function

" if lodeStoneScreen.isOpen(xx) then "

you will most likely crash in 30 minutes.

edit: hope nobody took it the wrong way,

but as a free tool available for us to use, i'd say its doing a pretty dam good job

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

I can't really say it's a nightmare, I've never had these crashing issues described above. Seems like I'm lucky. Sure, compared to something like Eclipse, it has less features. But for getting the job done (Simba scripts for RS), code completion is good enough for me.

Even though official releases are not very often, it can't hurt to pull request https://github.com/MerlijnWajer/Simba and bother Wizzup? for weeks if you really want to add a feature

The nice thing about the Simba source is it is quite easy to understand and modify if all you know are Lape/PascalScript. This was by design, so we could contribute ourselves.

Thread Information