Thread: Introducing A Confession.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Default Introducing A Confession.

Thought I'd introduce myself and make note of a few other things.

The eagle-eyed readers amongst us may have noticed my join date, it was some time ago I made my account here, for reference it was almost the exact same time @Ashaman88 joined. I joined along with many others in the post bot-nuke rush, I released an Ivy script here in which I mentioned how I had previously always been a leacher elsewhere and decided I wanted to contribute. Well, that Ivy script was my one and only contribution so I guess I failed with that statement.

That doesn't seem so bad but it's from here the aforementioned confession begins. I actually kept making scripts, lots of them, one for almost every skill and repetitive activity. Over the course of a few months I was bagging one 99 after another and eventually got my maxed cape followed by my completionist.

Why did I not release anything? It wasn't greed; My cycle would be that I played RS, wrote scripts and gained levels, quit for weeks to months at a time, come back, check out newest scripts to learn how to use anything new and then write more scripts, quit, repeat until(now); Every script I wrote was never flawless in fact they were very poorly written, they required the user to know how it was written, almost every time one was ran it needed something updated, you'd have to start in a specific way and all-in-all they just weren't release-able. But that is my fault...

I always convinced myself I was too busy to add that last 10% to get things working dynamically, to get the colors and tolerances just right along with everything else that makes a script robust. In reality it was just laziness on my part. I was leaching the time and effort the people here had put into SRL without giving anything back, for that I do feel guilty.

So what now?
    After quitting RS for the last ~7 months I have now come back, I finished my education and have my work life stable so I've got time to put into some projects, here being one of them. I currently only play OSRS so that is where my attention will be for now. I originally joined this forum right after the downfall of reflection so I never got to experience scripting with it, I know it is/was looked down upon and I could see why, nevertheless I have been playing around with and got some functions written up, I guess I'll be contacting @hoodz et al. to see if we can expand that include. I'm hoping to help with getting the random solvers working flawlessly even if it means taking the cheap route with reflection just for now and look into getting interfaces working if nobody has yet.

That's all I suppose, even if no one reads this I feel better for writing it and anyone who has similar interests in what I've written in that last section there feel free to PM.
    Final note: I have a habit of writing long posts on any forums I frequent, given up on trying to fix that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)

The former half of your post is currently my situation (except my stubborness makes me pursue flawlessness), and I wouldn't be surprised if a large amount of members are doing the same thing. Maybe if you ever get back into RS3 you could release some of your scripts (even if you think they're garbage ).

Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2006 Post(s)

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1468 Post(s)

welcome back

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

Welcome back, wonderful post.

Would love to see an expansion for the reflection include, would certainly save me hundreds of hours of scripting, failing and accomplishing nothing.

Hope you have a good time!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)

I had a long time where I refused to adapt to SRL6 (or if you like OSR that's ok too) and am currently still a beginner (at best). Hope to see you improve and succeed in your endeavors.
    You have permission to steal anything I've ever made...

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1870 Post(s)

Welcome back man. And hey it's pretty fun and challenging getting a script to work great for each user - you should def go for it!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    237 Post(s)

Welcome back, and congrats on finishing your education! Hope to see some work being done from you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Welcome back! I too once wished to contribute to the cause but have long wished to just play the game and remain part of the community. I may not be contributing via scripts but I am certainly knowledgable about the game and that's where I like to think that I contribute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Hey man, being honest is the most important thing we can do. You made a mistake, we all do. You learned from it, and that is what matters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

I almost have the exact same situation as you. I've written scripts for myself, but have been to embarrassed to release them publicly. But now I'm in college and have more free time (ironic I know) so I feel I am here to stay and work on my script writing. Welcome back!
    Previously known as grahambr*SigPic compliments of Clarity
    Spartan Scripts

Scripts: AutoPlankMake **** AIOEdgeSmelter

Thread Information