Thread: What is a free VMM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Default What is a free VMM?

I came up with the idea that I need to sell my RS3 gold.

So, of course, I did a Google search, "sell gold", and got https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1307497 Thread: Where to sell RS gp gold? as one of the results.

Lipcot chimed in, and said this:

"Best place to buy/sell gold is powerban in my opinion, just find someone who is sponsor, use a free VMM and maybe trade 100m to one, and 100m to another, so they dont feel tempted on scamming hehe. You should also run a "background check" on the guy you are selling to, check his latests posts, and look for hints that he is going to scamquit, also check his feedback."

"Use a free VMM" may have meaning to some professionals, but it means very little to me.

I looked up VMM on Google. Everything that pops up refers to Virtual Machine Manager.

I looked up free VMM on Google. Nothing meaningful popped up.

I was taught to explain things using Who, What, Where, When, How, and Why.

Who (within the context of selling gold) would use a VMM?

What kind of VMM would one use?

Where would one use it? Would one use it on one's machine or another machine? Is it a Linux thing or a Windows thing?

When would one use it? Would one only use it when selling gold or always?

How would one use it? Do they normally cost money to use? If it is a free VMM, would it be for a limited time only?

Why would one use it? What bad things would happen if one did not use it?

Oh, by the way, what does scamquit mean?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

You're overthinking it. It's just a verified middle man. If you don't know what the concept of middle men are, they're just trusted members of the community who will hold items two people are trading until a payment goes through. Afterwards, the middle man will trade it to the other person.

There are a lot of free middle man services on trading forums. Most are just trying to build reputation. Verified middle men on powerbot in particular have either payed a lot of money to become verified or have a long history of trustworthiness. As a result, they'll usually charge a % of the transaction.

Scamquit is when a member of a trading community who has usually had a strong track record makes one last post, usually for a large amount of gold/items/whatever else and then convince the seller to trust them to pay back. Since they have the intention of quitting and don't care if they get banned, they'll just take the gold/items and then vanish.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

If you need a middleman over at powerbot I've done lots of that in the past, feel free to drop me a line. That community can be intimidating sometimes.
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 12-05-2017 at 01:26 AM.
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

I always just sold to whichever bulk buyer had the best price. Never used a middleman.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

How much are you selling & how much value do you place on the account(s) the gp is currently on?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Oh yeah, powerboat sucks nowadays though, best try other sites (osbot, tribot, sythe).

Best way to not get scammed is selling to bulk buyers (lowest rates tho).
    Formerly known as Undorak7

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    How much are you selling & how much value do you place on the account(s) the gp is currently on?
    Also can personally vouch for acow, he will help you out too
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thank you, yourule97, KeepBotting, Citrus, acow, and Lipcot, for your patience during my period of confusion.

As you can see, I am relatively new to this aspect of botting.

I am in the process of putting together a list of selling gold best practices.

I have less than a billion, but will sell it in small chunks.

I don't want to jeopardize my characters, so I will create throwaway characters to do the dirty work.

By the way, what is a bulk buyer? What would be an example of a bulk buyer?

Finally, a comment: I know the Internet is a sewer, but I am amazed that this has to be such a white-knuckle experience in the year 2017.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Easiest way to find builk buyers is to just go on powerbot, look at the gold buyers/sellers list and pick out the supporters (usually have colored names - teal if i remember correctly) and people with gold selling websites.

I used to use bogla gold a lot.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Technology View Post
    I know the Internet is a sewer, but I am amazed that this has to be such a white-knuckle experience in the year 2017.
    It's a black market. A funny, inconsequential black market structured around a video game, but a black market nontheless.

You will have a generally positive experience with trusted merchants on powerbot. Look for traders who are sponsors or moderators, if you're dealing with such users you don't have to white-knuckle.

Don't trade with random, untrusted users (or if you do, use a trusted middleman). Familiarize yourself with the process of filing a dispute in case you get scammed. The moderation team there tends towards competency, but it was better when I was a part of it
    Last edited by KeepBotting; 12-05-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Technology View Post
    snip
    If I was you and in your position looking for a quick safe sale, I'd likely just sell to a trusted merchant via their livechat. Of the active merchants there currently, kaii & arcus are probably the most trustworthy. I'd recommend recording things in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong.

Thread Information