Entrants are:
    Markus
    Joopi
    Wutang
    IROC-Z
    old thread

Srl6 Winter Competition 2016/2017

What is this?
    Srl6 competition for this winter. Christmas/winter break + all of january will be available, submissions are due by February 1st 2017.
    This competition is aimed at both srl veterans & beginners (especially those looking to create a script for applying to srl members with).
    There will be a focus on script functionality (blame @Kevin; ), you won't be deducted any points for the quality of your code (though a poorly written script can result in a judge giving you lots of "constructive criticism").

Prizes
    Primary prize pool - This goes towards those scripts that complete the primary objective(s)
    Currently: 300M

Bonus Objectives prize pool - This goes towards those scripts that complete bonus objective(s)
    Currently: 100M

Everybody's a winner prize pool - This goes towards those who submit a script that passes the minimum bare requirement(s) - is split equally among all
    Currently: 0M + a bond per person

I'm putting 300M Rs3 into the primary prize pool & 100M into the bonus objectives prize pool. I'm willing to match up to 125M Rs3 worth of rsgp (Rs3/07) donations into each of the prize pools (375 total for hopefully atleast 750M rs3 worth of rsgp extra being added in). //Only matching rsgp donations
    My buddie @iiRaay; is donating a bond to each person that gets into the everybody's a winner prize pool because he's a baller. //I have access to his accounts and will be the one trading the bonds

If you'd like to donate rsgp
    @Turpinator; @KeepBotting; & myself @acow; can take it, we will usually be idle in the IRC (https://villavu.com/forum/chat_irc.php) you can message any of us on there to contribute a rsgp donation. Here's the procedure on how to do so:
    1. Message any of us on the IRC
    2. Whenever somebody is available for receiving the rsgp ask for a forum pm with the rsn to trade (this is an easy way to avoid the potential risk of any irc imposters)
    3. Trade gp and say which prize pool(s) it's for

Alternatively you can pm me your skype I and can do it via that instead of irc.

If you'd like to donate $
    Any real $ donations will 1) remain with the donator until the end of the competition 2) should only be added to the "primary" or "bonus" prize pools (as an extra bonus) and 3) be sent directly from the donator to the recipient(s)

Free accounts
    If interested in entering into this competition as an applicant you can request to have a fresh account created & setup for you, by yours truly. However to prevent risk of abuse there is a requirement for this, you must have:
    • Posted a script of any kind whatsoever on any section of these forums that atleast at some point was able to do anything. //If you haven't already you can just post a first script & maybe even get some feedback.

Instructions
    • 2 simba files must be submitted. The first file is your script. The second file is purely documentation. Both are required.
    • Srl6 + SMART only Edit: +SPS, if using
    • Your mainloop should be just 1 line with no more than 1 semicolon. //check out exampleScript attached
    • The bot is not allowed to trade other players. //In red due to being a new rule

Primary Objectives
    • Get as much experience as possible within 12 hours, on a fresh account in Rs3. The script will be ran once by 3 judges and the highest total experience gained is your score.
      -There are no real rules for what your script can and can't do ingame during the 12 hours.
      -If the script breaks before the 12 hours are up your score is simply the exp gained before it broke.

Bonus Objectives
    • Fix/Improve anything in srl6 with an override.
    • Use the GE

Everybody's a winner
    • Document your code, create a seperate simba file that is purely for explaining what each & every function/procedure does.
    • Gain atleast 1,337 experience.

Donors List
    @acow; 400M Rs3
    @iiRaay; Bond per person
    @Taric; $25

List of [potential] Applicants
    @Joopi;
    @IROC-Z;
    @Lemon star;

List of [potential] Judges
    @Turpinator;
    @Kevin;
    @3Garrett3;
    @NKN;
    @Iroki;
    @StickToTheScript;
    @Clarity;

Q&A
    Q. Can I opt to have my code not be published publicly?
    A. Yes.

Q. What about old school?
    A. Not this time, perhaps in the summer. Though maybe in the meantime Rs3 interests you at the very least for bond money / srl6 for more easily applying to srl membs?

Q. When & where can applications be submitted?
    A. Shoot me a pm any time before February 1st 11:59 pm GMT.

Q. I'm a newbie but want to try this out, any tips?
    A. I'd recommend basics from this thread https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58935 by reading through these parts http://i.imgur.com/xxXXWOi.png. Then getting started with srl6 from this thread https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107757 & getting further help on the forums/irc. You should be looking forward to at the very least a fantastic learning experience!

Q. Can a judge also be an applicant?
    A. Yes, but obviously won't be judging your own script.

Q. It's not winter where I live?
    A. Nobody loves you southern hemisphere n00bz.

Q. What does an example script look like?
    A. exampleScript.simba //but this is horrible @acow; code

Q. What does an example of documentation look like?
    A. exampleDoc.simba

Q. Where will the account be starting?
    A. Likely the starting spot for fresh account after tutorial, but that is not guaranteed. (burthrope & lumbridge lodestones are unlocked by default)

Q. How will the interfaces of the account be setup by default?
    A.
    default setup images

Picture gallery:
    Fresh Account before changes: http://i.imgur.com/EHzDNMo.png

Change to Old School: http://i.imgur.com/vQzxUvK.png
    Runemetrics closed: http://i.imgur.com/BIUrbzW.png
    Drag chatbox + actionbar down [to minimum] + upgrade button moved to top right of chatbox + actionbar unlocked (for moving abilities onto): http://i.imgur.com/c466tgl.png
    Graphics tab: http://i.imgur.com/XZZ9lQa.png
    Interfaces tab: http://i.imgur.com/GuCqZNB.png
    Gameplay tab - Gameplay settings: http://i.imgur.com/gU9r2rh.png
    Gameplay tab - Loot settings: http://i.imgur.com/zdmcGyM.png

Fresh Account after changes: http://i.imgur.com/CMQMiKG.png

Q. Can I have my script change the interfaces?
    A. Yes.

Questions/Comments/Concerns? Post/pm it
    Last edited by acow; 02-02-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Let's go boyssss!
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Your mainloop should be just 1 line with no more than 1 semicolon. //check out exampleScript attached
    So, first, I'd like to mention that's not a loop, so it can't be called the "main loop". Secondly, that's a pointless, and irritating rule, without any solid reasoning behind it.
    The reason many people actually talk about it as the "main loop", is because THAT is actually where you often see the main loop being placed (repeat *do stuff* until <condition>), which is NOTHING wrong with, and now you wanna deny that?

I expect the rule to be removed, and wish ya all good luck with the competition.
    Last edited by slacky; 12-02-2016 at 12:55 AM.
    !No priv. messages please

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slacky View Post
    So, first, I'd like to mention that's not a loop
    Correct. Discussed this actually before posting w/ turpinator, feel free to give a better suggestion w/o getting overly dramatic, thanks.

I expect the rule to be removed, and wish ya all good luck with the competition.
    Would've loved to have had your input specifically ( http://i.imgur.com/KRqlyhT.png ) in reviewing the thread before posting, looked for ya on irc a good amount of times when writing up and refining the competition but unfortunately I did not see you. I'm however not going to be changing rules after the fact unless it's a big deal and really matters (i.e detrimental to the competition), nobody that previewed the thread had an issue with it so I doubt it's as big an issue as you're making it out to be with that post-edit extra drama. If you'd like to have a proper discussion about it/any other aspects of the competition via irc feel free to hit me up whenever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

I hope the java client doesn't get scrapped by then.

Couple questions..

Can we submit more than 2 simba files like some includes? I'd like to use some of my includes to do this, but having it all on one simba file would be.... Uh, bad.

What happens if there's a SMART failure? I often get black screened.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Thanks @Taric; stay sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by skollstagg View Post
    I hope the java client doesn't get scrapped by then.
    yeah.. me too man, me too.
    If any news of a date for when the java client will be phased out has been announced, I'd love to know. I'd like to think jagex will be giving a pretty big and clear warning for when specifically that'll be occuring..

Can we submit more than 2 simba files like some includes?
    Nope, any code should be in the main script & explained in the documentation. The only things that should be called at the top of your script for this competition are:
    Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    • Srl6 + SMART only

What happens if there's a SMART failure? I often get black screened.
    Good question mate, currently the only thing in place to work around that is the fact that multiple different judges are running the script with the best score being taken. If it becomes an issue then would need to talk to some of the judges & donators to make a decision on it.
    Last edited by acow; 12-02-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Alright. I see that we can "Fix/Improve anything in srl6 with an override.", but I guess we can't outright replace any SRL functionality? Sucks since I don't use SRL6 at all. Regardless I'll give it a go I suppose. Is there a limit on # of lines?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

but I guess we can't outright replace any SRL functionality?
    Could you give a specific example of something you'd like to do?

Is there a limit on # of lines?
    Nope.

E: While chatting with @skollstagg; on irc I realized SPS was forgotten about completely, which means an extra include and an image or folder of images.
    Last edited by acow; 12-02-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

So, first, I'd like to mention that's not a loop, so it can't be called the "main loop". Secondly, that's a pointless, and irritating rule, without any solid reasoning behind it.
    The reason many people actually talk about it as the "main loop", is because THAT is actually where you often see the main loop being placed (repeat *do stuff* until <condition>), which is NOTHING wrong with, and now you wanna deny that?

looooooooooooooool. i totally brought that up, and the whole time i was thinking to myself 'if slacky sees this, hes gonna flip a tit'.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Correct. Discussed this actually before posting w/ turpinator, feel free to give a better suggestion w/o getting overly dramatic, thanks.
    What you describe is (usually) the scripts entry-point. However lape allows you to have code everywhere in the global scope, meaning you can have several "begin .. end;"-blocks in the global scope, the first statement in the script is considered the entry-point.

Would've loved to have had your input specifically ( http://i.imgur.com/KRqlyhT.png ) in reviewing the thread before posting, looked for ya on irc a good amount of times when writing up and refining the competition but unfortunately I did not see you.
    I am fairly occupied, so SRL has been downprioritized to the point where I only visit the forums now and then.

I'm however not going to be changing rules after the fact unless it's a big deal and really matters (i.e detrimental to the competition), nobody that previewed the thread had an issue with it so I doubt it's as big an issue as you're making it out to be with that post-edit extra drama. If you'd like to have a proper discussion about it/any other aspects of the competition via irc feel free to hit me up whenever.
    As I said there is no reasoning for it, you are basically enforcing a change of standards, a buckload of existing, and earlier script do exactly what you prohibit. Sure, it does NOT cause any limitations, instead it's just this thing that is complete and utterly pointless to enforce, and as I said goes against the style that many of us use (I included), not only in lape but in a lot of other scripting and programming languages.

I have a feeling some of you took some entry-level "programming course" at school where the teacher basically said "do not write a lot of code in the global scope", and in a few languages (or with particular interpreters of a language) that can be a good habbit, CPython comes to mind as it has to do a more work to look up variables in the global scope resulting in a performance penalty, but this does not translate to a lot of other interpreters, it's not even a "python"-trait as there are python-interpreters able to make this overhead negligible. I don't disagree with avoiding a lot of code in the global scope, but what has been prohibited in this compo is NOT the issue, but for example relying on tens of global variables IS however often an issue.

Scripting like what's done in Simba has NO negative effect from having the main loop in the global scope, instead it can actually clear it up as you'd always know where to go to find the main loop (without even thinking, just scroll to the bottom) and from there follow the scripts logic.

Since nobody had an issue with it, then Turpinator was clearly not one of the guys that previewed the post, because he did raise some concern, quoting it just so it's all in one place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    looooooooooooooool. i totally brought that up, and the whole time i was thinking to myself 'if slacky sees this, hes gonna flip a tit'.
    /slacky out
    Last edited by slacky; 12-03-2016 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Nice to see another competition. I have some general comments (not bashing the comp): I do think the concept is too hard too attract a decent number of entries (particularly with the current state of activity). Skilling on a fresh account with no gear and potentially interacting with the GE..in colour..you will be lucky if 5% of SRL Members could write an efficient script to do that. Something like 1->30 fishing on a fresh account is more realistic. You should make all entry scripts publicly available after the competition, to keep with the spirit of an opensource community, and so everyone can learn from each others work. I also agree that 1 line rule is kinda strange. I don't understand the purpose of that rule?

Simba Code:
    begin
      DoThis();
      DoThat();
    end.

vs

Simba Code:
    procedure Bloat();
    begin
      DoThis();
      DoThat();
    end;

begin
      Bloat();
    end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
    Nice to see another competition. I have some general comments (not bashing the comp): I do think the concept is too hard too attract a decent number of entries (particularly with the current state of activity). Skilling on a fresh account with no gear and potentially interacting with the GE..in colour..you will be lucky if 5% of SRL Members could write an efficient script to do that. Something like 1->30 fishing on a fresh account is more realistic.
    Well, the main thing being scored is exp. isn't it? There's no info on gaining extra points for interacting with the GE, it's just an objective. So technically you could win by creating a simple power-trainer, which is what I may do to not have the main file massive

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

I agree that the one-line rule is pointless, especially when
    you won't be deducted any points for the quality of your code
    also, does the account have to start in a specific location?
    Last edited by Citrus; 12-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

enforcing a change of standards as a buckload of existing
    Is that a typo, I don't know what a "buckload of existing" is / is a typo of. If it's a typo, what did you mean to say?
    Sure, it does NOT cause any limitations
    Then perhaps demanding it to be changed, in the manner done (first post), is inappropriate... at best.

Since nobody had an issue with it, then Turpinator was clearly not one of the guys that previewed the post, because he did raise some concern, quoting it just so it's all in one place.
    Not sure what exactly you're trying to say here, and the deduction is incorrect.

I do think the concept is too hard too attract a decent number of entries
    The opposite can very well be argued. Ingame requirement of "Gain atleast 1,337 experience." to gain an equal share of prize pool #3

I agree that the "bonus objectives" can indeed be challenging for some, but they are supplementary towards the primary goal of gaining experience, not something that has to be done.
    If anybody reading this, has absolutely no interest in creating a rs3 color script outside of for the prizes in this competition & feels too disheartened at the thought of being at a disadvantage (scripting knowledge wise) when trying to create a script to win a top spot with, then I reckon I can safely tell them that this competition is not aimed at them. //Just to be clear, this message @anybody is merely something relevant I wished to comment upon, and not meant as a passive aggressive message @you.

You should make all entry scripts publicly available after the competition
    It will up to the author on whether or not a script is available publicly, as stated in the Q&A (#1), I am not going to be forcing scripts to be posted publicly.

I don't understand the purpose of that rule?
    The original reason for adding it was as simple as: I've messed around with doing so (boiling down each seperate script to a single line) in my own scripts and found that I liked reading code that has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
    I agree that the one-line rule is pointless, especially when
    You raise a very valid point imo that I hadn't even thought of, there is a noticeable difference in objectives there (which isn't crazy, as the competition has been molded by input from others & no doubt not perfectly refined), however as stated earlier I am not going to be changing the rules of the competition after it's been started unless it is a big deal (if you believe that it is, do let me know).

also, does the account have to start in a specific location?
    Nope, thus [if the script doesn't successfully identify where it is when it starts] it should use one of the lodestones that are by default unlocked (lumbridge/burthrope iirc) as how to start off. The accounts most likely won't have been moved after [skipping] tutorial, but there is no promise of that.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

Is that a typo, I don't know what a "buckload of existing" is / is a typo of. If it's a typo, what did you mean to say?
    enforcing a change of standards, a buckload of existing...

Then perhaps demanding it to be changed, in the manner done (first post), is inappropriate... at best.
    You can also disallow for-loops, and repeat-loops, procedures, local variables, etc.. it doesn't limit you, you just have to change shit up.

Not sure what exactly you're trying to say here, and the deduction is incorrect.
    Turpinator said: "I totally brought that up". How can i deduce that wrongly?

Anyway, I think I'm out of this discussion, it seems you have a great argument to keep that rule, after all you just LIKE IT that way, nobody can argue with that.
    The original reason for adding it was as simple as: I've messed around with doing so (boiling down each seperate script to a single line) in my own scripts and found that I liked reading code that has been.
    Last edited by slacky; 12-03-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    505 Post(s)

enforcing a change of standards, a buckload of existing...
    Maybe I'm being dense, but I still don't get it. What is "buckload" supposed to mean in this context? I've never heard of anyone saying "buckload."

@cow, just to clarify my earlier question:
    a) the judges will start the account from wherever (probably the normal spot for new accounts?), and the script has to deal with it.
    or
    b) the applicant will be able to specify a starting location for the account.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

snip
    I don't know what resulted in it being deduced as such, "Turpinator was clearly not one of the guys that previewed the post" is incorrect.
    What you're quoting wasn't being stated as the reason behind why I haven't changed the rule (hence prefacing with "The original reason for adding"), but if you wish to believe that despite the reason being posted multiple times now, feel free to.

@cow, just to clarify my earlier question:
    a) the judges will start the account from wherever (probably the normal spot for new accounts?), and the script has to deal with it.
    or
    b) the applicant will be able to specify a starting location for the account.
    Please do feel free to ask away on anything that isn't 110% clear. Option A would be occuring, the judges can be starting from wherever. Going to add this into the Q&A.

e: I should add in pictures of the exact settings and interfaces that the accounts will be setup with, will do so tomorrow, g'night.
    Last edited by acow; 12-03-2016 at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Can I get the script to send me a text message when the script starts, so I can login with my other account. The script will then teleport to Lumbridge lodestone where I will be waiting on my other account with 10k uncooked fish. The bot will accept my trade and it will cook for 11.5 hours to win me the competition and all the money and prizes. I can even go crazy and make the mainloop 1 line with only 1 semicolon.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    596 Post(s)

I don't know what resulted in it being deduced as such, "Turpinator was clearly not one of the guys that previewed the post" is incorrect.
    <Acow> nobody that previewed the thread had an issue with it
    <Turpinator> looooooooooooooool. i totally brought that up, and the whole time i was thinking to myself 'if slacky sees this, hes gonna flip a tit'.

As for not changing it, I'd get it if the compo was already way on it's way, but it's not, in fact so far only one contestant is signed up according to first post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

This competition seems like it would be a lot of fun!

Good luck to all the contestants!

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Can I get the script to send me a text message when the script starts, so I can login with my other account. The script will then teleport to Lumbridge lodestone where I will be waiting on my other account with 10k uncooked fish. The bot will accept my trade and it will cook for 11.5 hours to win me the competition and all the money and prizes.
    Idk can you? Yes, you absolutely may. Though you might not be the most reliable solution, humans do silly things like sleep
    <Acow> nobody that previewed the thread had an issue with it
    <Turpinator> looooooooooooooool. i totally brought that up, and the whole time i was thinking to myself 'if slacky sees this, hes gonna flip a tit'.
    He talked about it and didn't have an issue with it remaining (lack of something better (that everybody would likely understand what's being referred to) to call it http://i.imgur.com/9bq0icp.png was the issue for something that's really a non-issue), the consensus before posting was that it simply was imperfect wording.
    As for not changing it, I'd get it if the compo was already way on it's way, but it's not, in fact so far only one contestant is signed up according to first post.
    lol, I'm not going to argue with you on how far along the competition is, I wouldn't know about that & wasn't the reasoning (it's started, that's it, rules won't be changing unless there's a big problem).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Idk can you? Yes, you absolutely may. Though you might not be the most reliable solution, humans do silly things like sleep
    Oh C'mon now. This can't be allowed. You can't trade stuff off from your main acc to the competing bot. This would give some an unfair advantage. I mean I could spend my RS3 bank and get like crafting / herb up to atleast 90 and still flip a profit during those 12 hours.

this should by no means be allowed.
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Previously known as YouPee.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joopi View Post
    This would give some an unfair advantage.
    No doubt an advantage if you can do it successfully, I personally have no qualms with that and would love to see it, but I've messaged the other donators and some of the active judges (4, the ones that I expect to get a response back by the end of this weekend), will go with a majority decision on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information