Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Default Daily excercises

@Mat
    @Chris Reborn
    @[XoL]
    @cause
    @Benny
    ^Just some people who exercise regularly or have/doing a similar, should get the ball rolling xD

Ok, one of my current goals is to get fit (and buff). Obviously this is going to take a lot of effort and motivation, I need to compile a list of daily exercises to do to help me get there.
    Currently, I don't own any equipment or weights other than a sit up bench. I attend a weekly class for circuits (so all different exercises)

I'm sort of just starting so nothing too intense :P and I don't want to spend more than 20 minuets a day atm.

Any feedback/help is appreciated

Edit: I should mention that I'm 15, weigh around 8.8 stone, and am about 5.11ft

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Do you have an iPhone or iDevice?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    Do you have an iPhone or iDevice?
    Ofcourse not.

(I have my laptop and my nexus 4, I don't see the point in owning an idevice)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Well try and find a 'C25K' app. If you do it every other day with 20 minutes of running on the off days, you'll lose ALOT of body fat.
    That mixed with getting a caloric deficit daily and bi-daily pushups/situps/core excercies will get your chest in shape (abs).
    I really dont know about working your arms and legs without dumbbells or gym equipment, so maybe purchase a gym membership.

This sounds easy, but waking up early and eating less is harder than you think.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Well try and find a 'C25K' app. If you do it every other day with 20 minutes of running on the off days, you'll lose ALOT of body fat.
    That mixed with getting a caloric deficit daily and bi-daily pushups/situps/core excercies will get your chest in shape (abs).
    I really dont know about working your arms and legs without dumbbells or gym equipment, so maybe purchase a gym membership.

This sounds easy, but waking up early and eating less is harder than you think.

Good luck.
    Not really :P
    Anyway, I forgot to mention I'm trying to build muscle and not lose weight (I'm pretty close to being under weight)
    C25k is a running thing right? Looking for exercises that I can do in my room and then do gym a few times a week tbh.
    For legs I suppose I could do stuff like squats and lunges?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

I assuming you won't be buying a gym membership, and you don't plan on getting any weights etc. I can say one thing before I begin and that is don't expect to look like a super hero or anything along those lines. You WILL gain muscle, it will be noticeable (Maybe not to you right away, because you look at yourself everyday) and these exercises will help build an amazing foundation of muscle (Perfectly symmetrical, and highly functional)

EXERCISE
    Push-up: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Military Push-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (If you can't do it, do regular push ups)
    Close Push-up: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Parallel Bar Dip: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Wide Grip Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (Builds that wide back)
    Squat: 4 sets of 15 reps (Yes this will burn)
    Side-To-Side Squat: 3 sets of 10 reps (each leg)
    Bench Pistol Squat: 3 sets of 10 reps (each leg, make sure you are doing it right)

You could do this whole body workout up to 5 times a week (Give your body one or two days to recover)
    Go Hard! If you think you can do more, then do it!

Anti-Leech Movement Prevent Leeching Spread the word
    Insanity 60 Days (Killer workout)
    XoL Blog (Workouts/RS/Misc)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Are you going to go to a gym at all? You don't need to but it helps motivation a lot.
    I had the "100 pushups" app on my phone, really good app to get you to 100 consecutive pushups. Pushups are awesome btw, if you haven't been exercising they will rip you up! Try to do 5 sets or more (go to just under max, then 1:30 break, repeat). You can also do military pushups, raised feet pushups (rest them on a step or something) or close hand pushups. If you do military pushups your triceps will start poppin' (looks great).

Another thing to try is doing handstands...try to go for 5 straight min of either doing handstands or attempting them (lol). Definitely builds up the shoulders.

If you can get a pullup bar from Walmart or something that would be extremely beneficial to you. Pullups and chinups will rip you up and it feels really good to push out 20 reps.

When you start doing pushups you will probably be sore for a couple days...no need to exercise again until 80% of the soreness is gone (maybe even 90%).

If you have access to a gym then I would highly recommend this guide:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...y-workout.html

Follow that guide for a couple/few weeks and you'll get a feel for what you want to concentrate on. For me personally, I really enjoy deadlift (START LOW WEIGHT, PERFECT FORM) with alternating hand grip (feels weird at first but you can lift loads more weight vs snatch grip), just make sure you are swapping hand positions every set.

I've also been doing this squat, looks awkward but works your core and balance as well as a good squat workout:
    http://www.kettlebellworks.com/Legs.html#hacker

Oh also, prob the sweetest squat ever is the goblet squat (on the same page as the hacker squat). You can really work your flexibility and get your butt close to the ground, and on the way up for a little extra you can go up onto the balls of your feet to get a little calf in. Not only a decent (front)(quads)(turns your legs into rectangles of muscle) squat workout but your core is really activated (not a fan of ab workouts so I try to incorporate core into my workouts).

Also, you are really going to want to embrace stretching and warmups. Seems lame but really worth it (takes away a full day of unnecessary muscle soreness)(plus prevents injuries).

If this seems like a lot to take in, here is a rundown of a typical gym day for me:

Drink loads of water all day (like, pee at least 3 times before lunch)
    Get changed, bring phone in
    grab a mat, butterfly stretch for 30-45 seconds
    one foot out stretch (hurdler i believe?), 30 seconds per leg...try bring your knee up slightly to activate hammies and knee down to stretch out calf a bit.
    plank for 30 seconds, then hold your left arm out (think 1 arm superman) and right leg up and out for 10 seconds, then back to plank for 5 seconds then the otherside.
    Do this a few times...your heartrate should be up by now.
    I always do deadlift first because that's where I want to spend my best energy.
    Start at 60%ish of max...try to get out 7 reps or so
    next set 70%...try for 5 reps
    next set 80%...try for 5 reps again (you'll feel strong on this set)
    next set 90%...try really hard for 4 reps or so...

Between each set give yourself 2min give or take...if you were probably hydrated coming in you'll know it because if you weren't you are going to be gasping and dying LOL

Have an active rest, walk around...shake it out.

Then I would hit squats...4 sets
    Then alternate between goblet squat and hacksquat

You are going to be beat after a workout like that and your legs should be jello (stairs should be hard)

Anyways I think I was rambling there...my advice summed up:

If it's not sore, work it.
    Go hard.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [XoL] View Post
    I assuming you won't be buying a gym membership, and you don't plan on getting any weights etc. I can say one thing before I begin and that is don't expect to look like a super hero or anything along those lines. You WILL gain muscle, it will be noticeable (Maybe not to you right away, because you look at yourself everyday) and these exercises will help build an amazing foundation of muscle (Perfectly symmetrical, and highly functional)

EXERCISE
    Bench Pistol Squat: 3 sets of 10 reps (each leg, make sure you are doing it right)

You could do this whole body workout up to 5 times a week (Give your body one or two days to recover)
    I'll be going to the gym maybe twice or three times a week but that will be mainly cardio (since my joints are probably not fully formed).
    I haven't got a pull up bar (yet, I plan on getting one and a 20kg dumbell set at xmas. Is there anything else you would recommend? I like kettlebells but you get used the weight and want a bigger one quickly?)
    nor a dipping bar.
    Sounds good will probably print this off and stick it on my wall!

And thanks for the advice cause, I'll keep it in mind for when I start up in a gym

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cause View Post
    Are you going to go to a gym at all? You don't need to but it helps motivation a lot.
    I had the "100 pushups" app on my phone, really good app to get you to 100 consecutive pushups. Pushups are awesome btw, if you haven't been exercising they will rip you up! Try to do 5 sets or more (go to just under max, then 1:30 break, repeat). You can also do military pushups, raised feet pushups (rest them on a step or something) or close hand pushups. If you do military pushups your triceps will start poppin' (looks great).

Another thing to try is doing handstands...try to go for 5 straight min of either doing handstands or attempting them (lol). Definitely builds up the shoulders.

If you can get a pullup bar from Walmart or something that would be extremely beneficial to you. Pullups and chinups will rip you up and it feels really good to push out 20 reps.

When you start doing pushups you will probably be sore for a couple days...no need to exercise again until 80% of the soreness is gone (maybe even 90%).

If you have access to a gym then I would highly recommend this guide:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...y-workout.html

Follow that guide for a couple/few weeks and you'll get a feel for what you want to concentrate on. For me personally, I really enjoy deadlift (START LOW WEIGHT, PERFECT FORM) with alternating hand grip (feels weird at first but you can lift loads more weight vs snatch grip), just make sure you are swapping hand positions every set.

I've also been doing this squat, looks awkward but works your core and balance as well as a good squat workout:
    http://www.kettlebellworks.com/Legs.html#hacker

Oh also, prob the sweetest squat ever is the goblet squat (on the same page as the hacker squat). You can really work your flexibility and get your butt close to the ground, and on the way up for a little extra you can go up onto the balls of your feet to get a little calf in. Not only a decent (front)(quads)(turns your legs into rectangles of muscle) squat workout but your core is really activated (not a fan of ab workouts so I try to incorporate core into my workouts).

Also, you are really going to want to embrace stretching and warmups. Seems lame but really worth it (takes away a full day of unnecessary muscle soreness)(plus prevents injuries).

If this seems like a lot to take in, here is a rundown of a typical gym day for me:

Drink loads of water all day (like, pee at least 3 times before lunch)
    Get changed, bring phone in
    grab a mat, butterfly stretch for 30-45 seconds
    one foot out stretch (hurdler i believe?), 30 seconds per leg...try bring your knee up slightly to activate hammies and knee down to stretch out calf a bit.
    plank for 30 seconds, then hold your left arm out (think 1 arm superman) and right leg up and out for 10 seconds, then back to plank for 5 seconds then the otherside.
    Do this a few times...your heartrate should be up by now.
    I always do deadlift first because that's where I want to spend my best energy.
    Start at 60%ish of max...try to get out 7 reps or so
    next set 70%...try for 5 reps
    next set 80%...try for 5 reps again (you'll feel strong on this set)
    next set 90%...try really hard for 4 reps or so...

Between each set give yourself 2min give or take...if you were probably hydrated coming in you'll know it because if you weren't you are going to be gasping and dying LOL

Have an active rest, walk around...shake it out.

Then I would hit squats...4 sets
    Then alternate between goblet squat and hacksquat

You are going to be beat after a workout like that and your legs should be jello (stairs should be hard)

Anyways I think I was rambling there...my advice summed up:

If it's not sore, work it.
    Go hard.
    I've always been confused on what to do in between sets. Should I just wait around waiting for the muscle fatigue to wear off? Also, should I start off at 70% of my max weights, then gradually work my way upto 100% with any machine?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    I'll be going to the gym maybe twice or three times a week but that will be mainly cardio (since my joints are probably not fully formed).
    I haven't got a pull up bar (yet, I plan on getting one and a 20kg dumbell set at xmas. Is there anything else you would recommend? I like kettlebells but you get used the weight and want a bigger one quickly?)
    nor a dipping bar.
    Sounds good will probably print this off and stick it on my wall!

And thanks for the advice cause, I'll keep it in mind for when I start up in a gym
    20kg thats like 45 pounds, thats actually pretty heavy. If you want to do any sort of bicep/tri/dumb bell press etc. I would start out a little lighter, well gauge your strength level at the gym first then buy according to that because the last thing you want is a heavy set of paperweights because they are too heavy to actually use.

(These weights might actually be very light to you, not sure don't know what level of fitness you are currently at) I just remember when I was 15, curling a 45 pound dumb bell was out of the question.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

20kg thats like 45 pounds, thats actually pretty heavy. If you want to do any sort of bicep/tri/dumb bell press etc. I would start out a little lighter, well gauge your strength level at the gym first then buy according to that because the last thing you want is a heavy set of paperweights because they are too heavy to actually use.

(These weights might actually be very light to you, not sure don't know what level of fitness you are currently at) I just remember when I was 15, curling a 45 pound dumb bell was out of the question.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9017362.htm
    You adjust them to what you need/want. Takes up less space and is cheaper than buying lots of different sizes. They will allow me to work my way up , I'll probably start at like 5kg

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

I've always been confused on what to do in between sets. Should I just wait around waiting for the muscle fatigue to wear off? Also, should I start off at 70% of my max weights, then gradually work my way upto 100% with any machine?
    Pretty much...although lately I haven't been resting as much. Less than 2min in between deadlifts. Yep that sounds like a pretty good way to build up strength. Maybe only go up to 90-95%. I'd only go for your "max" maybe once a week, or once every 2 weeks. For mass you want 8-12 reps (personally not a fan) so that would be more like 50% weight up to maayyybe 80%.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

EXERCISE
    Military Push-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (If you can't do it, do regular push ups) //whats the difference?
    Close Push-up: 3 sets of 5 reps //5 reps to start since thats all I can do (atleast I think, haven't tried them yet...)
    Alternate lunge: 3 sets of 10 reps (each leg)//Parallel Bar Dip: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Plank: 3 sets of 20 seconds //Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Inclined sit ups: 3 sets of 20//Wide Grip Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (Builds that wide back)

Ok, adjusted [xol]'s advice to fit the equipment I have (none).
    Will start it tomorrow (I'll probably do like the first set of each thing, then once I'v done the first set of everything do the next set?)
    Also whats the difference between a normal push up and a military one?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Killer View Post
    EXERCISE
    Military Push-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (If you can't do it, do regular push ups) //whats the difference?
    Close Push-up: 3 sets of 5 reps //5 reps to start since thats all I can do (atleast I think, haven't tried them yet...)
    Alternate lunge: 3 sets of 10 reps (each leg)//Parallel Bar Dip: 3 sets of 15 reps
    Plank: 3 sets of 20 seconds //Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Inclined sit ups: 3 sets of 20//Wide Grip Pull-up: 3 sets of 10 reps (Builds that wide back)

Ok, adjusted [xol]'s advice to fit the equipment I have (none).
    Will start it tomorrow (I'll probably do like the first set of each thing, then once I'v done the first set of everything do the next set?)
    Also whats the difference between a normal push up and a military one?
    Sounds good and when it becomes easy ADD MORE REPS! Also look for harder versions of the exercises (Or just ask, I have a few).

Also Military has a clap (Its a real power exercise, cause you have to explode off the ground to get that clap in)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Get a gym membership and do a basic 5x5 routine (see below).

Almost 100% of losing/gaining weight is about nutrition and your diet. You will not grow if you are in a caloric deficit and likewise, you will not lose weight with a caloric surplus.

Make sure your diet is right for what your goals are and then worry about the lifts. For gaining weight, shoot for at least your what you burn per day + 500 calories. What you burn in a day would be your BMR + any exercise / movement.

Also, making a bodybuilding.com profile, keeping logs, taking progress pics, and talking on the forum is a great way to stay focused.

The Routine:-

Workout A

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    3x5 Deadlift / Power Clean 5x3, alternate every workout ''A''

Workout B

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Incline Bench Press / Military Press, alternate every workout “B”
    3x5 Chin-ups / Lat Pull Downs, alternate every workout “B”
    3x8 Weighted Hyperextensions / Good Mornings

How to Warm-up?

Warm up using several sets before doing the 3 work sets. If you're using 175, for example, it would look like this:

Warm up sets

2x5xbar (sets x reps x weight)
    1x5x85
    1x3x125
    1x2x155

Work sets

3x5x175

What is the frequency of training?

You alternate workout A and B, 3 non-consecutive days per week. So you might do:

Week 1
    M – Workout A
    W – Workout B
    F – Workout A Week 2
    M – Workout B
    W – Workout A
    F – Workout B

What about load progression?

Add weight to the bar whenever possible. If you're very new to lifting weights, or if most of your lifting has focused on curls and other isolation movements, you'll probably be able to add some weight each workout. You will probably be able to increase the weights by 5-10 kgs each time in the Squat and Deadlift, and about 5 kgs in the other three lifts.

Is it possible to add direct arm-work into the program?

It's fine to add some assistance work such as Abdominals, Hyperextensions, or maybe some direct Biceps and Triceps work, but don't overdo it. For direct arm work, 3 sets of 8 of one lift for each muscle at the end of your last workout of the week will be plenty. Your arms are getting hit hard all week on this routine, so you don't want to blast them with iso stuff as well.

It is more advisable however to add exercises such as Chin-ups (with varied grips) and Parallel Bar Dips for better arm growth. Your arms may not be very strong by doing this, but they will definitely become big.

What about nutrition?

Eat a whole lot of food.

The part about food is important. You MUST eat big to get big. Rippetoe recommends 4 meals per day, plus a gallon of milk spread throughout the day."
    I'm back

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

EXERCISE

Pretty close to what I do randomly during the day when I get up to do something else I'll throw some exercise in

http://i.imgur.com/1lqB59Q.jpg

most recent pic, was playing tennis with a few friends, just good shot there imo :P

165lbs / 5'10 trying to get around 175
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Nice job grats! Looking good, pretty cut up. That is the one thing I lack, have all this "muscle" but nothing is cut up just visible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Some pics from college here: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Smurg/

5'9", 220lbs these days. On a cut (got married among other things so I've fattened up a little).

Used to do 6 days on, 1 day off.

Monday: Biceps/Triceps
    Tuesday: Quadriceps, Calves, Abs
    Wednesday: Shoulders, Traps
    Thursday: Upper Back
    Friday: Hamstrings, Lower Back, Calves, Abs
    Saturday: Chest
    Sunday: - Rest -

I'd do 4-6 exercises per muscle, 3 sets per exercise, 6-10 reps per set, usually to failure on the 3rd set of each exercise. Been working on 1 minute rest periods.
    I'm back

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smurg View Post
    Some pics from college here: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Smurg/

5'9", 220lbs these days. On a cut (got married among other things so I've fattened up a little).

Used to do 6 days on, 1 day off.

Monday: Biceps/Triceps
    Tuesday: Quadriceps, Calves, Abs
    Wednesday: Shoulders, Traps
    Thursday: Upper Back
    Friday: Hamstrings, Lower Back, Calves, Abs
    Saturday: Chest
    Sunday: - Rest -

I'd do 4-6 exercises per muscle, 3 sets per exercise, 6-10 reps per set, usually to failure on the 3rd set of each exercise. Been working on 1 minute rest periods.
    Woah Smurg is jacked!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    624 Post(s)

to me, being in a relationship is pretty much the only thing that motivates me to get more-so in shape than just stay fit.. other than that, I stay how I am

where do you guys get your protein btw? I know quite a few sites from forums & reading around bb, but are there cheaper places with as good?
    The only true authority stems from knowledge, not from position.

You can contact me via matrix protocol: @grats:grats.win or you can email me at the same domain, any user/email address.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

if you're just starting out and your curling 45 lb dumbbells... geez you are not too out of shape I don't think. anyways talk to me on skype I can help you outa little bit

Thread Information