Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Here you go. Keep in mind that if it is unused, I'll more than likely just merge with with the SRL Snippets forum.
    Maybe when reflection hook are updated and the include is cleaned up there could be a reflection snippets section Or (I like this idea better) mandatory prefix [Reflection, colour] ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Barbrady View Post
    MOr (I like this idea better) mandatory prefix [Reflection, colour] ?
    That's what I was thinking if the section receives little activity.
    You may contact me with any concerns you have.
    Are you a victim of harassment? Please notify me or any other staff member.

| SRL Community Rules | SRL Live Help & Chat | Setting up Simba | F.A.Q's |

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

@Daniel Maybe an archive section in the lower rewards and promotion forum, so when someone gets a cup or title(or not), the thread can be moved.
    Working on: Tithe Farmer

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by masterBB View Post
    @Daniel Maybe an archive section in the lower rewards and promotion forum, so when someone gets a cup or title(or not), the thread can be moved.
    +1 - Would clear the clutter and be easier for SSRL+ to view the active threads

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    423 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Nice idea. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrapsp View Post
    can we have the wiki back? :/
    We have had one, twice now. Both times nobody bothered to update the content and it just turned into a haven for spam(bots). I don't think we'll go down that road again, unless you can convince @Wizzup? otherwise (shouldn't be too hard, he likes wikis).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Nice idea. Done.

We have had one, twice now. Both times nobody bothered to update the content and it just turned into a haven for spam(bots). I don't think we'll go down that road again, unless you can convince @Wizzup? otherwise (shouldn't be too hard, he likes wikis).
    I wouldn't mind updating it..

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

I wouldn't mind updating it..
    That's what they always say.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

No really I have a lot of free time on my hands..

Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

I would like the wiki back, we just need to make sure spambots can't access it.

The best way to contact me is by email, which you can find on my website: http://wizzup.org
    I also get email notifications of private messages, though.

Simba (on Twitter | Group on Villavu | Website | Stable/Unstable releases
    Documentation | Source | Simba Bug Tracker on Github and Villavu )

My (Blog | Website)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzup? View Post
    I would like the wiki back, we just need to make sure spambots can't access it.
    Could you make it require to be logged into a Villavu account that has certain (low) requirements? They'd have to be low enough that it wouldn't deter actual users though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

I would love to see bounties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_bounty

Essentially someone who wishes to see a feature could post a bounty to see it happen, and devs would get GPs. Alternatively a dev could make a post of features that they want to make, and people would donate until they get to a certain point (like kickstarter). You could create another forum section, or even another site in python or something.

I think the main downside would be it would shift the focus of the project from fun to GPs(ideally it would not), although I see no reason why both would not be optimal, I could see why that may be a problem for some. Another problem would be that we are dealing with GPs on a forum and thus: 1. This kinda goes against the forum policy of no RL->RS in the non-member's board, and 2. We will either have to institute Middle-Men, (or just use admins, really) or say that the scripter/donater would be in charge of dealing with it (which is also a viable strategy).

This has worked in other OSS communities, and I've always wondered how well this would integrate into the SRL community .

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

@Daniel Bump topic button? Like, you can bump a topic once every 24 hours / or once a week?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

@Daniel Bump topic button? Like, you can bump a topic once every 24 hours / or once a week?
    No, if there is no interest in your topic it might just die. Though we usually don't care if it was a question or something big and you bump it after a while.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

No, if there is no interest in your topic it might just die. Though we usually don't care if it was a question or something big and you bump it after a while.
    I don't know man, I've seen some very interesting threads from years ago with discussion of some original, very clever ideas. The 3D MS mapping engine, computer vision that Ben was working on, SKy scripter's canny core, some smart auto-responders (but that's in the higher up boards), old methods of accurately solving random events. Many of these can still be further developed but 99% of the community will never find them.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I don't know man, I've seen some very interesting threads from years ago with discussion of some original, very clever ideas. The 3D MS mapping engine, computer vision that Ben was working on, SKy scripter's canny core, some smart auto-responders (but that's in the higher up boards), old methods of accurately solving random events. Many of these can still be further developed but 99% of the community will never find them.
    We could start an interesting thread thread, and people could contribute and see if there's any projects they want to work on.

Although, you could also put it on the wiki, if it gets put up again

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Give -SRL-Members the ability to de-rep again. Why am i classed as a SRL-Member who abuses rep? check my history if you can, I hardly ever de-rep and i never abuse the de-rep function.
    Even tho derepping is of no real benefit for me. i feel as if the SRL-Member status is getting degraded. why do we all have to loose functionality just because some chumps abused it. Couldn't you just disable the derep function on those SRL-Member accounts who actually have abused it? Hate to say it but whoever disabled rep for SRL Members and below is Stereotyping.
    Rant over.
    Last edited by Kasi; 07-28-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1442 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
    We could start an interesting thread thread, and people could contribute and see if there's any projects they want to work on.

Although, you could also put it on the wiki, if it gets put up again
    That's actually not a bad idea. A single thread with a compilation of old & forgotten projects but still have potential.

Current projects:
    [ AeroGuardians (GotR minigame), Motherlode Miner, Blast furnace ]

"I won't fall in your gravity. Open your eyes,
    you're the Earth and I'm the sky..."

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    Give -SRL-Members the ability to de-rep again. Why am i classed as a SRL-Member who abuses rep? check my history if you can, I hardly ever de-rep and i never abuse the de-rep function.
    Even tho derepping is of no real benefit for me. i feel as if the SRL-Member status is getting degraded. why do we all have to loose functionality just because some chumps abused it. Couldn't you just disable the derep function on those SRL-Member accounts who actually have abused it? Hate to say it but whoever disabled rep for SRL Members and below and below is Stereotyping.
    Rant over.
    Orrrrr they could give us one more chance, and if someone abuses it it's auto suspension?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

If I remember the rules, reputation abuse is still an infractable offence, correct? So why not just infract those who abuse it instead of punishing a group who the majority of which did not break a rule?

That being said, there is not a whole lot of purpose to negative rep, but it is a fast way to bring someone's attention to something that they should not have done. Although I still think that this was not an appropriate response.

I suppose I'll just need to send somebody a PM if I think that they should be behaving in a more positive manner

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Orrrrr they could give us one more chance, and if someone abuses it it's auto suspension?
    Pretty much what i was hinting at. sorry if you didn't get the gist.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    That's why I said we usually won't mind bumping a question or big thread when it died. I just don't see a button being any better than a post.

Even tho derepping is of no real benefit for me. i feel as if the SRL-Member status is getting degraded. why do we all have to loose functionality just because some chumps abused it. Couldn't you just disable the derep function on those SRL-Member accounts who actually have abused it? Hate to say it but whoever disabled rep for SRL Members and below is Stereotyping.
    Rant over.
    Bringing back de-repping won't happen. Often the comments were offensive, but even without the abuse. What good could it bring. Have you ever de-repped someone with the a constructive motive? Probably not. De-repping can only make things worse. We should try to be community of scripters and friends, as equals, what can we say about each other? Let's just keep the reputation system as tool to encourage each other! As a pat on the shoulder as wel as an visible stat proving people acknowledged you.

BTW the abuse group was pretty big, and only growing. No one felt like dealing with it.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

Bringing back de-repping won't happen. Often the comments were offensive, but even without the abuse. What good could it bring. Have you ever de-repped someone with the a constructive motive? Probably not. De-repping can only make things worse. We should try to be community of scripters and friends, as equals, what can we say about each other? Let's just keep the reputation system as tool to encourage each other! As a pat on the shoulder as wel as an visible stat proving people acknowledged you.

BTW the abuse group was pretty big, and only growing. No one felt like dealing with it.
    Maybe it won't be back. but its what i'd like to see. i have alot of opinions on what you have said.

I have never de-repped with a constructive motive. This is because generally people don't take negative rep nicely. if i wanted to be constructive i'd post on the thread about how they can improve themselves or even go as far to PM them, this way they don't feel like they've lost out essentially degrading their confidence. The only time i ever give negative rep is when i find offensive posts or i see posts other people might find offensive. As i have said before i hardly ever de-rep. This forum is quite quick to distinguish the troublemakers from the people who are generally just trying to learn / be constructive, and when a troublemaker is found they don't stick around as they get ban or some other type of punishment is handed out. Without de-rep how do people realize who to watch out for? i generally look at the rep balls on newer users. this was i can gather a quick trait / personality.

You say de-repping CAN make things worse. yeah, i agree, it can. but this is the same as everything else in life.

You talk about equality, but you fail to realize it was only SRL-Members and below that got the de-repping functionality disabled. How is this equality? if your saying its bad, why doesn't it get disabled for everyone?

Yeah it may have been a big group but not as big as all SRL-Members and below. You can't say noone felt like dealing with it. People hand out ban's frequently enough, how hard can it be to hand out ban's to people who abuse rep? This way the group that was growing would eventually stop. at the moment what happened was you skipped all the steps in between. the action that was taken wasn't suited to what was happening.
    Last edited by Kasi; 07-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    Could you make it require to be logged into a Villavu account that has certain (low) requirements? They'd have to be low enough that it wouldn't deter actual users though.
    Yes and no. We used a plugin so that the login to the wiki used the vB login system. However it appears that this only hid the wiki's registration/login system rather than actually disabling it. So we would have to look at how to fully disable the wiki's registration system to stop the spambots.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWxi View Post
    If I remember the rules, reputation abuse is still an infractable offence, correct? So why not just infract those who abuse it instead of punishing a group who the majority of which did not break a rule?
    Yeah it may have been a big group but not as big as all SRL-Members and below. You can't say noone felt like dealing with it. People hand out ban's frequently enough, how hard can it be to hand out ban's to people who abuse rep? This way the group that was growing would eventually stop. at the moment what happened was you skipped all the steps in between. the action that was taken wasn't suited to what was happening.
    Do you honestly think we have not tried that? Warnings, infractions, personal conversations trying to resolve issues, bans. We have done it all and used up hours of our time dealing with the immaturity of people who obviously cannot handle the ability to take away a few ultimately meaningless internet rep points. So what else is there to do if none of the above works? The only thing is to take it away, and that is what we have done.

That being said, we as the staff will consider your suggestions of taking derep away from everyone and not just people below SSRL. But heed my advice, the way you went about addressing this situation was terrible and is not how you get things done. Whenever I see threads and polls of people petitioning or demanding things from the staff, it pisses me off more than you can imagine and if you want things from me, pissing me off is not a good way to go about it. Let me leave you all with a quote from the rules thread as a reminder.
    Any disagreement with a staff member's decision is to be resolved through the use of the PM system. Any public disputes are to be avoided and are infractable at the staff’s discretion. You have no rights and are entitled to nothing.
    Note: The last paragraph was a generalized statement not aimed at any specific person. It also did not mean all polls are bad, merely the ones presented in an aggressive fashion to try and force the staff to do something.
    Last edited by Hobbit; 07-28-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    STOP PM'ING ME

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1663 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    That being said, we as the staff will consider your suggestion of taking derep away from everyone and not just people below SSRL. But head my advice, the way you went about addressing this situation was terrible and is not how you get things done. Whenever I see threads and polls of people petitioning or demanding things from the staff, it pisses me off more than you can imagine and if you want things from me, pissing me off it not a good way to go about it. Let me leave you all with a quote from the rules thread as a reminder.
    I'm sorry that you appear to have misinterpreted my poll. It was not intended as a petition or a demand, merely a way to find out what people thought of an idea. Participation in the poll is optional, and I am by no means demanding that the results of the poll have any sort of rule changing authority.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information