Thread: Forum Suggestion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Lightbulb Forum Suggestion

I think it would be nice to have a mirrored forum section from RS3 Scripts (and OSRS) that is just for rough draft scripts that people dont want to polish all the way. I know I have a few I have not released just because I don't have any sort of logout function when it is done performing the action. Any scripts posted within this new section would allow people to fix them up and then repost new drafts. I think it would add some more contributions to the forums and would facilitate learning.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

You could probably use the First Scripts section for this, doubt anybody would complain
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Badâ„¢ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

I thought about that but after 25 posts it would be off the page and forgotten about forever.
    Maybe a new section could be added to jr mem's script section? It seems like everyone just waits for you or other high level scripters to release super polished scripts and there's not a lot of cooperation (not talking about active jr. mem forum posters/users). It's great that people enjoy the community and get like 2 million forum posts but if less and less scripts are released the community suffers.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

This is a learning forum.. people usually publish their works from time to time.. A - to encourage others B - to give back

Co-operation does occur; but usually behind the scenes. I have seen a few co-operation threads.. but everybody works at different levels. It falls apart rather quickly.

coding styles are different.. plus once you begin something you will generally see it through. asking questions where needed.

<------------------>

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    368 Post(s)

I think the scripts that are posted are for people to use, but people lose interest in maintaining them.

The same problem would still exist as people would post the script in the current section, potentially with the intention of maintaining the script, then get bored or lose interest in keeping it up to date.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

I'd suggest posting these types of scripts in the snippets section. If you have a few, possibly create one thread and release them all in one, with a paragraph outlining the usage and things to know of each script. Make it clear at the top these are baby-sit scrips with flaws and/or specific setups.

Got a mostly working Blackjacking script that I was going to post in there, but decided I'd finish the last 10% soon enough.

OSRS Color Scripts: Borland_Salamanders | Borland_Iron_Ores
    Utilities & Snippets: [Color] OSBuddy Item Looting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFools View Post
    This is a learning forum.. people usually publish their works from time to time.. A - to encourage others B - to give back

Co-operation does occur; but usually behind the scenes. I have seen a few co-operation threads.. but everybody works at different levels. It falls apart rather quickly.

coding styles are different.. plus once you begin something you will generally see it through. asking questions where needed.
    @AFools - I agree about cooperation, people here have helped me many times. I didn't mean like we all get on a skype call and work on a script, I just meant, post a raw script, if people make it better, it gets re released on one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    I think the scripts that are posted are for people to use, but people lose interest in maintaining them.

The same problem would still exist as people would post the script in the current section, potentially with the intention of maintaining the script, then get bored or lose interest in keeping it up to date.
    @Dan the man - I meant to suggest a new section for scripts that work but are not complete. There would be no intention to maintain them from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Borland View Post
    I'd suggest posting these types of scripts in the snippets section. If you have a few, possibly create one thread and release them all in one, with a paragraph outlining the usage and things to know of each script. Make it clear at the top these are baby-sit scrips with flaws and/or specific setups.

Got a mostly working Blackjacking script that I was going to post in there, but decided I'd finish the last 10% soon enough.
    @Borland - I could be misunderstanding the snippets section purpose but it seems to me that its meant to be a collection of working snippets or lines of code that you can use in a script to perform a specific function or task.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nkd2009 View Post
    @Borland - I could be misunderstanding the snippets section purpose but it seems to me that its meant to be a collection of working snippets or lines of code that you can use in a script to perform a specific function or task.
    That is its purpose.

The type of scripts you're describing do fall between the Snippet and Scripts section, so I'd suggest posting into which ever one they're closest to being. If it does go into the script section mark it as baby-sit required or whatever it is, then encourage for any of the code to be used in another script should someone want to create a polished version.

So in their practical use, they are snippets that just so happen to have enough other stuff going on such that they can be run under certain conditions. Honestly it's very unlikely someone will continue to work directly on your unpolished version, they'll start afresh and rip the required functions because unless there's a channel of open communication, they'll want to do it in their style. So in that light, the snippet section fits the bill.

OSRS Color Scripts: Borland_Salamanders | Borland_Iron_Ores
    Utilities & Snippets: [Color] OSBuddy Item Looting

Thread Information