Thread: Don't use wBot! Seriously read this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Default Don't use wBot! Seriously read this.

Edit: Checked the bot with wireshark and nothing came up at all. Looked at some scripts too and also nothing that could possibly send account information to another person. The bot seems safe to me I jumped to conclusions. Although my doubt in the service is now minimal I will continue to use fresh accounts.

Leaving this link up for others to see.

http://www.sythe.org/runescape-cheat...xperience.html
    Last edited by nemaster; 03-18-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Currently running 5 accounts, they are in a fresh VM, will see how it goes

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I hope it works out for you, I think i'm gunna use my old computer to run fresh accounts and keep my main completely seperate. Just try to get what you need and transfer the cash and change passwords, dont get greedy with wBot. Thats just my advice take it or leave it. I got 1k cooked sharks and dipped the f**k out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Currently running 5 accounts, they are in a fresh VM, will see how it goes

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nemaster View Post
    I hope it works out for you, I think i'm gunna use my old computer to run fresh accounts and keep my main completely seperate. Just try to get what you need and transfer the cash and change passwords, dont get greedy with wBot. Thats just my advice take it or leave it. I got 1k cooked sharks and dipped the f**k out.
    All good, I xfer my items daily, as I said in IRC, I'm only using wBot until\if I get hacked the moving over to SRL, it's mainly testing for me.

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Why would they make such a flawless bot completely free? It also doesn't support bank pins, That was a flashing red light as soon as i started.

Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    I decompiled wBot and could not find anything that would obviously indicate foul play, but I didn't exhaustively search it. The only networking it appears to do is version checking. I never actually ran it and don't plan on it, but whoever runs it can likely just monitor network connections and packets. There was no sign of encryption so it should be straightforward to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Good point, its hard for anyone to bring any concrete evidence as the OP on scythe stated. All you can do is be cautious. I've weighed my options and I would rather play it safe. I don't trust wBots motives. There are so many people getting hacked and complaining, afterwards being IP banned. I've talked to other users on runescape itself who claim to have had the same exact issue as the unfortunate player on scythe.
    Anyways I appreciate your input i'm going to let things play out before they can earn my trust. If I lose my bank, I quit this game. I don't want it to come to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    Simba has the capacity to have flawless scripts as well. The effectiveness of any particular script is entirely within the hands of the scripter.

While I don't claim to have any knowledge of wBot's motives, I can assume that they want to build a community in which the money is made through premium accounts and paid scripts. Hacking user accounts would be counterproductive to their success in the long term. This really comes down to weighing the options of making a moderate amount of virtual good profit quickly and a larger real world profit over a longer term.

Regardless, it very well could contain some malicious code, I just didn't discover any in my small investigation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

And one more thing, you are right simba does have the capacity to run flawlessly and efficiently but not just yet. When I saw wBot was out it was like christmas eve due to how great it was and all the great anti-random supported scripts. SRL might not be completely flawless just yet but I sure as hell am sticking with them for the long run. The community is happy, knowledgable, and most of all trustworthy. That's enough to buy my vote.
    Good point, its hard for anyone to bring any concrete evidence as the OP on scythe stated. All you can do is be cautious. I've weighed my options and I would rather play it safe. I don't trust wBots motives. There are so many people getting hacked and complaining, afterwards being IP banned. I've talked to other users on runescape itself who claim to have had the same exact issue as the unfortunate player on scythe.
    Anyways I appreciate your input i'm going to let things play out before they can earn my trust. If I lose my bank, I quit this game. I don't want it to come to that.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Wbot if fine..been running it since it came out..The Scythe link didnt work for me, Im assuming this is about it showing up as a trojan? If so, they addressed this on the forums and explain that it was the way an admin obfuscated the client. If you have any questions about that, I assume @CynicRus could answer question about it as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

I haven't used wBot, and never probably will.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I don't know whether to believe this, or just believe this is @Trent!'s backup account just ragging on other bots.. I don't use it anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRLKing View Post
    Wbot if fine..been running it since it came out..The Scythe link didnt work for me, Im assuming this is about it showing up as a trojan? If so, they addressed this on the forums and explain that it was the way an admin obfuscated the client. If you have any questions about that, I assume @CynicRus could answer question about it as well.
    I think im gunna have to change my stance on the matter and agree with you. I had my uber l33t hacker friend (the uber l33t part was a joke but he knows his way around computers) check out wBot with wireshark and everything turned out perfectly fine. This bot is safe as far as I can tell, and no it wasn't about the trojan thing it was about the numerous people getting hacked in general. I trust the bot so far but only time will tell if it is truely malicious.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)

Usually its the scripts people downlaod :P
    I think im gunna have to change my stance on the matter and agree with you. I had my uber l33t hacker friend (the uber l33t part was a joke but he knows his way around computers) check out wBot with wireshark and everything turned out perfectly fine. This bot is safe as far as I can tell, and no it wasn't about the trojan thing it was about the numerous people getting hacked in general. I trust the bot so far but only time will tell if it is truely malicious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

A few friends have used it and not been hacked....they're not overly rich though, so maybe the owner of wBot didn't bother. Anyway, writing my own script is much more fun tbh XD

Thread Information