Thread: Deadlift/Bench inconsistency?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Default Deadlift/Bench inconsistency?

Any idea why my upper body is so weak compared to my lower body? I am 6'0, 170lbs (on a creatine cycle so minus 5lbs or so). I can bench (1RM) 145lbs. However, I can deadlift approximately 280lbs (tried a max rep a few weeks ago).

Should I stop working on legs for a bit? Anyone have a routine that's worked well for them in the past?

I suppose I should mention i'm technically vegetarian since meat doesn't settle well in my stomach (since I was a kid), hence my diet isn't entirely the best.

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

@Jayden C; - Your input would be helpful here.
    @Sin; Care to post your current workout schedule and your meals?
    Last edited by Justin; 04-18-2015 at 04:21 AM.

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Judging your body weight compared to your alleged upper body strength, I'm going to guess you have some decent body mass behind you. Most people have the opinion you should be able to bench at least your body weight (a lot of people can't though so don't worry). If you want upper body strength then you need to focus on Chest, Shoulders and Back training equally as each other. I would even suggest working it into your routine so that you can train these groups an extra time each week (keep in mind not to train them twice in a row/ day after day, allow at least one rest day before training the same group again.. So for example if you train chest on monday, dont train chest again until at least Wednesday) .. And no you should not stop training legs. A lot of people don't know it but training legs is the only muscle group that releases testosterone - essential for gains. (Think about it, steroids are artifical testosterone, so training legs is like a natural steroid .. Obviously not as powerful).

Here is how i work out;
    Day 1: Legs (6 leg exercises * 4 sets + skipping through out training)
    Day 2: Chest and tri's (these groups work well together) (5 chest excercIses * 4 sets) + (3 tri excercIses * 4 sets)
    Day 3: Back and bis
    Day 4: Shoulders
    Day 5: Arms

As a general rule, I will do at least 5 excercises on the days main group.. The days i work in bis and tris with main groups i will do 3 excercIses for bis/tris on top of the 5 main exercises. OR if im feeling lazy ill do excercises that work them at the same time (example: lat pulldown trains back and bis, push-ups and dips train chest and tris)

I also train core EVERY day.. Contradicting what I said about allowing for rest days i know.. But you dont have to do this. Core cOnsists of 4 different excercises * 4 sets.
    With most excercises I aim to train different parts of the muscle ( for example an incline chest press will target a different area of your chest opposed to a decline chest press)

Creatine and pre workouts are lame and un natural so I don't use them. If you want to you can.

As far as your diet goes that makes it a bit harder for you. Im on my phone so when I get to my PC, if you want some ideas for food etc then I can help you with that and we can discuss your body type and build, as this also determines what kind of food you need to eat. gaIns are 98% based upon the food you put in your mouth, it is the hardest part about gaining a good physique. Because lets face it, Anybody can spend an hour in the gym.. Thats the easy part.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    Any idea why my upper body is so weak compared to my lower body? I am 6'0, 170lbs (on a creatine cycle so minus 5lbs or so). I can bench (1RM) 145lbs. However, I can deadlift approximately 280lbs (tried a max rep a few weeks ago).

Should I stop working on legs for a bit? Anyone have a routine that's worked well for them in the past?

I suppose I should mention i'm technically vegetarian since meat doesn't settle well in my stomach (since I was a kid), hence my diet isn't entirely the best.
    I was once stuck at around 75kg so like 160lbs or so benchpress even through i could work out with 71,5 kg 4 sets 8 reps 45 secs between.

It was cause muslec got used to workout shedule as i used same workout for 6 months+. I think thats the case for you. Also your triceps could be tired or technique poor so you rely on triceps and since it had been used and mostly is weakest part while benching it makes your results so poor.

Lately been using triceps+shoulders on one day then taking break then chest+back. Results increased up to 102,5 kg as i tried max and now workout with 80kg. Also personally i verymuch like dips with chain or barbell. works triceps + chest very well, thats probably the reason i do separate day triceps to make them have some rest before dips. Dips extremelly good for lower chest so you can have boobs lol.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

What I do (and what works for me) is focus on the main compound movements and not worry about any accessory exercises apart from a bit of abs.

Pretty much my program looks like this:

Day A: OHP, bench, deadlift

Day B: Rows, squat, abs

I'll do Day A on Monday, Wednesday, Friday with Day B on Tuesday and Thursday one week, and then the other way round the next. All of those exercises will be done 5x5 apart from the abs which I'll decide what to do on the day. The routine is based around SS/SL and works well for what I'm after. Whenever I can complete 5x5 of a certain weight I'll add 5lb more the next time I'm doing it and so on.

In terms of upper body strength vs lower body strength I'm the opposite to you I suppose. I can bench 160lb 5x5 relatively easily but can only squat 175lb 5x5. I haven't really been focusing on deadlift for a while because of an injury I'm getting checked out so I'm just maintaining that around the same as my squat.

What's your routine at the minute?
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

I mainly use a PPL split twice a week.

Monday (Push: Shoulders, Chest, Triceps):
    Incline Bench 3 sets of 8,8,6
    Flat Dumbell Press 3 sets of 8
    Decline Bench 3 sets of 8,6,4
    Dumbell chest fly 3 sets of 8,6,4
    Military Press 3 sets of 6,5,4
    Cable Delt Raises supersetted with Tricep pull downs 3 sets of 8, last set till failure
    Dumbell Shoulder press 3 sets of 6
    Lateral Raises 3 sets of 12
    Bent over Lateral Raises, drop set till failure

Tuesday(Pull: Biceps/Back):
    Seated Machine pulls 3 sets of 8
    Barbell Rows 3 sets of 8
    T-Bar Rows 3 sets of 8
    Wide Grip Lat pull downs supersetted with Bicep curls 3 sets of 8
    Face pulls supersetted with concentration curls 3 sets of 8
    Close grip pull downs 3 sets of 12,10,8
    Seated Rows 3 sets of 12,10,8 with a dropset at the end

Deadlifts 3x5 at the beginning or the end if I feel like it. If I don't do them, I throw them onto my leg day routine.

@Jayden C @Justin @Rich

Meal wise, i don't actually cook so it varies a crap ton. Only thing constant about my meals:
    2x protein shake (scoop of whey, oats, milk, nutella, sometimes bananas)
    3x eggs in the morning
    Last edited by Sin; 04-18-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    I mainly use a PPL split twice a week.

Monday (Push: Shoulders, Chest, Triceps):
    Incline Bench 3 sets of 8,8,6
    Flat Dumbell Press 3 sets of 8
    Decline Bench 3 sets of 8,6,4
    Dumbell chest fly 3 sets of 8,6,4
    Military Press 3 sets of 6,5,4
    Cable Delt Raises supersetted with Tricep pull downs 3 sets of 8, last set till failure
    Dumbell Shoulder press 3 sets of 6
    Lateral Raises 3 sets of 12
    Bent over Lateral Raises, drop set till failure

Tuesday(Pull: Biceps/Back):
    Seated Machine pulls 3 sets of 8
    Barbell Rows 3 sets of 8
    T-Bar Rows 3 sets of 8
    Wide Grip Lat pull downs supersetted with Bicep curls 3 sets of 8
    Face pulls supersetted with concentration curls 3 sets of 8
    Close grip pull downs 3 sets of 12,10,8
    Seated Rows 3 sets of 12,10,8 with a dropset at the end

Deadlifts 3x5 at the beginning or the end if I feel like it. If I don't do them, I throw them onto my leg day routine.

@Jayden C @Justin @Rich

Meal wise, i don't actually cook so it varies a crap ton. Only thing constant about my meals:
    2x protein shake (scoop of whey, oats, milk, nutella, sometimes bananas)
    3x eggs in the morning
    Cosmasjdz is correct. Shouldn't be doing the same exercises over and over as your muscles do begin to recognize it and won't gain as hard. Where my routine of how I workout and the amount of exercises I do remains the same, I try to change exercises that I do for the group each time I train, It's a way of I guess 'tricking' your muscles. Doing that will maximize your gains.

Reading your routine, there is nothing wrong with it. I can only suggest throwing around some new exercises every now and then if you aren't already. Also focus on technique, if your technique is wrong you are wasting your time. Also if you are lifting too heavy and it's throwing your technique out of whack you are also wasting your time as you will be activating other muscles to compensate for lets say.. what your shoulders can't lift.

If you aren't gaining strength as fast as you like and you find you can get through your exercises easily enough then you need to go heavier (heavier but with good technique). Consider that with all exercises (except for the obvious exercises you don't need to lift heavy on.. e.g. hamstrings, back exercises etc.)
    So lets say you are benching 70 kilograms (3 sets * 10 reps) and you get to your last set + last rep without really struggling.. it's obvious you need to go heavier.

Usually I pyramid set on heavy lifts such as bench press, an example as follows;
    Warmup set: Lightweight
    1st set: 50 KG (12 rep)
    2nd set: 60 KG (10 rep)
    3rd set: 70 KG (8 rep)
    4th set: Heavy as you can go (6 rep)..

I would continue this until I can complete 6+ reps of heaviest.. If I can only do 3 reps then fail, I am not strong enough to up the weight. If I do 6 reps +, I will up the weight in the next training session.

As far as your diet goes you need to find a food/foods that have the nutrients you aren't getting from meats. Spinach and kale for iron.. eat all the superfood veggies. Pastas, breads, rice, potatos, pumpkin for carbs and so on. You are going to need to research some food to find where you can get your protein from, without relying on shakes, maybe invest in a bunch of egg whites. I'd suggest getting on instagram and following some body building and food tip pages.. they are really helpful.

3 eggs for breakfast is a start. You should try eat at least 5 eggs every morning + something else that's carbs to give you energy (oats, toast, cereal, whatever)
    You could even have your eggs + make a protein shake (oats, protein, milk etc like you mentioned earlier) and that would be the perfect breakfast. I try to have at least 1000 calories for breakfast

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)

@Sin; Do you know what body type you are?

Forum account issues? Please send me a PM

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1068 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden C View Post
    Cosmasjdz is correct. Shouldn't be doing the same exercises over and over as your muscles do begin to recognize it and won't gain as hard. Where my routine of how I workout and the amount of exercises I do remains the same, I try to change exercises that I do for the group each time I train, It's a way of I guess 'tricking' your muscles. Doing that will maximize your gains.
    This is one of those things people will never agree on. How can a muscle be 'tricked' if it can't think for itself? It's either being overloaded, or it isn't. The only 'shock' or 'confusion' you need to give to your muscles to progress is a greater weight. That's my 2c anyway
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem
    I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    863 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    @Sin; Do you know what body type you are?

In between Ecto and Meso i'd say.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This is one of those things people will never agree on. How can a muscle be 'tricked' if it can't think for itself? It's either being overloaded, or it isn't. The only 'shock' or 'confusion' you need to give to your muscles to progress is a greater weight. That's my 2c anyway
    "Muscle memory is not a memory stored in your muscles, of course, but memories stored in your brain that are much like a cache of frequently enacted tasks for your muscles. It's a form of procedural memory that can help you become very good at something through repetition, but in exactly the same way it can make you absolutely terrible at that same thing."

Well I guess in a way you're right, I've had results both repeating exercises and changing them up. I guess it's not a case of wrong or right but rather what works better. Repetitive workouts is a quick way to become bored in the gym.

Thread Information