Thread: Little Overwhelmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Default Little Overwhelmed

Hiya,

I wanted to get into Simba since i have been using bots for a long time on Oldschool Runescape and RS2 before that. I also wanna learn how to script better. I have studied some programming in college and i now work as a PLC programmer.

I have read the forums a little bit and read the beginner guide i found in the oldschool runescape help section. I understood what was written in the guide since its just basic programming stuff.

The thing i am confused about is all the options to start writing scripts.

What i have found is that there are generally 2 options to go with: Reflection and Color. (I have read all kinds of stuff about AeroLib etc. but its very overwhelming)

Can anyone explain me what would be best/easiest to use and which method belongs to which category (for example, AeroLib is Reflection or whatever), and are there any step by step guides to writing your first scripts or would you guys suggest its best to just download one of the public scripts here and analyze that?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    588 Post(s)

From my experience, they are primarily just ways to find the coordinates of where things are (e.g hill giant can be found at 100,100 on the mainscreen) and reading text (e.g health is currently 65/89). Reflection can see more than just what the player can see but let's ignore that for now..

Regarding script effectivity ingame (ignoring script writing efficiency, time & effort are important factors that are largely being ignored here):
    Poorly done reflection > poorly done color
    very well done color > very well done reflection
    Reflection is more likely to have client breaking updates whereas color scripts can still be working years later without modification, if the activity hasn't changed much visually. This is also ignoring the fact that reflection can see more than just what the player can & don't forget that the majority of scripts are somewhere inbetween poorly done & very well done.

Regarding script writing efficiency:
    Whichever you have a person to get help from. This usually is [and should be] the deciding factor for a newbie
    Without that, reflection is probably easier for both newbies & experienced people once the basics are figured out, but this is quite the stretch for me to say as I've pretty much never written a line of reflection code (the closest thing to that would be editting an opengl script of @3Garrett3;s and telling @Fitta; "shit aint working yo!" after reflection updates)

If you're primarily looking for quickly gaining achievements ingame on osrs, I would say reflection would be a better start if you can get the hang of it, since it's far easier to get worthwhile ingame data from (imo).
    If your main goals currently are primarily academic, I would say color since it's not as limited to just the specific game that you're currently on (osrs) & is the main focus here (villavu), though I am biased in this as I have very very little experience with reflection.

I personally would recommend trying to get a script working in each and deciding where to go after that based on what you prefer from your experience with both. There's more options to consider, but you made this thread saying that you're overwhelmed so I should probably stop now heh ^.^ If you wanna talk on skype about anything, im quite free this semester =)
    oh & btw, while I've never looked at any osrs guides and thus don't have any to personally recommend, I would recommend checking out the guides by @The Mayor; and @Clarity; if you have some time. The later especially isn't going to help you directly, but can give ideas of what's happening in general.

https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107757
    https://villavu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112486 You're definitely not going to be using opengl for osrs as it doesn't even touch the gpu, but it's more similar in concept to reflection than color (though opengl provides you with less data and does so in a far more hardware inefficient manner), imo anyways.

Just rambling whilst killing some time inbetween classes, do let me know if this ends up being helpful =)
    Last edited by acow; 01-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Reflection is more efficient than color and is generally easier to script under.

Color is generally regarded as more stable than reflection and will continue to work even if hooks break.

Color includes and reflection includes are different. For OSRS, you have essentially two options.

1. Color

2. Reflection

Previously, SRL-OSR existed as a color include and PascalScript Reflection existed as a reflection include, but both of those are now deprecated.

As far as learning, there are reflection tutorials and color tutorials but if you'd feel more comfortable learning by picking apart a public script, then do that by all means. How you learn is really up to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions

E: ninja'd by @acow;, the commentary is his post is undoubtedly more detailed than mine so read that too!
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

This community's #1 priority should be cleaning up all the include mess so people don't feel overwhelmed by all the unorganised crap. IMO.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simba Noob View Post
    This community's #1 priority should be cleaning up all the include mess so people don't feel overwhelmed by all the unorganised crap. IMO.
    Include mess? afaic that was resolved when SRL-OSR finally broke and Kyle/elfyyy made the decision to kill off PascalScript Reflection

Now there's SRL-6/ogLib on the RS3 side and AeroLib/Lape Reflection on the OSRS side

That's not too messy is it?
    GitLab projects | Simba 1.4 | Find me on IRC or Discord | ScapeRune scripts | Come play bot ScapeRune!

<BenLand100> we're just in the transitional phase where society reclassifies guns as Bad™ before everyone gets laser pistols

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Include mess? afaic that was resolved when SRL-OSR finally broke and Kyle/elfyyy made the decision to kill off PascalScript Reflection

Now there's SRL-6/ogLib on the RS3 side and AeroLib/Lape Reflection on the OSRS side

That's not too messy is it?
    Lol, it's exactly that train of thought which probably lead to this in the first place.

Let's say I was a new scripter wanting to learn to code, and I decide to learn using AeroLib because I play OSR. A few months later I decide to try out RS3 so I try and get into SRL-6, but I can't because its structure and naming conventions are completely different, and a large chunk of my knowledge from AeroLib is no longer relevant.

There is not a single person on these forums that has released an AeroLib or reflection script and a SRL-6 script. NOT ONE. What does that tell you? If you take a step back and look at it from an outsiders perspective, it is severely segregated and messy AF. Stuff like this could have easily been prevented if the people high up used common sense and the admins did their job to make everything align seamlessly.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    826 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powerfox92 View Post
    i now work as a PLC programmer.
    Please tell me ladder logic has been phased out and its all microcontrollers with actual code now.

i just cringe at the thought of ladder logic.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1869 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simba Noob View Post
    Lol, it's exactly that train of thought which probably lead to this in the first place.

Let's say I was a new scripter wanting to learn to code, and I decide to learn using AeroLib because I play OSR. A few months later I decide to try out RS3 so I try and get into SRL-6, but I can't because its structure and naming conventions are completely different, and a large chunk of my knowledge from AeroLib is no longer relevant.

There is not a single person on these forums that has released an AeroLib or reflection script and a SRL-6 script. NOT ONE. What does that tell you? If you take a step back and look at it from an outsiders perspective, it is severely segregated and messy AF. Stuff like this could have easily been prevented if the people high up used common sense and the admins did their job to make everything align seamlessly.
    Heh, you're right I guess the current system has existed for so long that I've grown too accustomed

Sadly I don't think this will be very easy to change as it will involve altering two (or more) code bases which are already very large and well-established

There is currently a project by a few dedicated community members to write an include that will be usable across both games, though I've not checked on its progress in some time

Perhaps it will solve the issue, given enough time to mature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acow View Post
    From my experience, they are primarily just ways to find the coordinates of where things are (e.g hill giant can be found at 100,100 on the mainscreen) and reading text (e.g health is currently 65/89). Reflection can see more than just what the player can see but let's ignore that for now..

Regarding script effectivity ingame (ignoring script writing efficiency, time & effort are important factors that are largely being ignored here):
    Poorly done reflection > poorly done color
    very well done color > very well done reflection
    Reflection is more likely to have client breaking updates whereas color scripts can still be working years later without modification, if the activity hasn't changed much visually. This is also ignoring the fact that reflection can see more than just what the player can & don't forget that the majority of scripts are somewhere inbetween poorly done & very well done.

Regarding script writing efficiency:
    Whichever you have a person to get help from. This usually is [and should be] the deciding factor for a newbie
    Without that, reflection is probably easier for both newbies & experienced people once the basics are figured out, but this is quite the stretch for me to say as I've pretty much never written a line of reflection code (the closest thing to that would be editting an opengl script of @3Garrett3;s and telling @Fitta; "shit aint working yo!" after reflection updates)

If you're primarily looking for quickly gaining achievements ingame on osrs, I would say reflection would be a better start if you can get the hang of it, since it's far easier to get worthwhile ingame data from (imo).
    If your main goals currently are primarily academic, I would say color since it's not as limited to just the specific game that you're currently on (osrs) & is the main focus here (villavu), though I am biased in this as I have very very little experience with reflection.

I personally would recommend trying to get a script working in each and deciding where to go after that based on what you prefer from your experience with both. There's more options to consider, but you made this thread saying that you're overwhelmed so I should probably stop now heh ^.^ If you wanna talk on skype about anything, im quite free this semester =)
    oh & btw, while I've never looked at any osrs guides and thus don't have any to personally recommend, I would recommend checking out the guides by @The Mayor; and @Clarity; if you have some time. The later especially isn't going to help you directly, but can give ideas of what's happening in general.

You're definitely not going to be using opengl for osrs as it doesn't even touch the gpu, but it's more similar in concept to reflection than color (though opengl provides you with less data and does so in a far more hardware inefficient manner), imo anyways.

Just rambling whilst killing some time inbetween classes, do let me know if this ends up being helpful =)
    Thanks! I will check both tutorials, furthermore im just gonna open up some scripts and run them to see how it works and do some small alterations before i start writing my own script from the bottom up.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepBotting View Post
    Reflection is more efficient than color and is generally easier to script under.

Color is generally regarded as more stable than reflection and will continue to work even if hooks break.

Color includes and reflection includes are different. For OSRS, you have essentially two options.

Previously, SRL-OSR existed as a color include and PascalScript Reflection existed as a reflection include, but both of those are now deprecated.

As far as learning, there are and but if you'd feel more comfortable learning by picking apart a public script, then do that by all means. How you learn is really up to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions

E: ninja'd by @acow;, the commentary is his post is undoubtedly more detailed than mine so read that too!
    Thx for clearing that up, i already read the beginner Lape and AeroLib tutorial, if i have to be honest, Lape was more easily understandable to me. But i did get both tutorials.
    I will try creating a script in both to just make sure where my preference is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Turpinator View Post
    Please tell me ladder logic has been phased out and its all microcontrollers with actual code now.

i just cringe at the thought of ladder logic.
    Nope haha, still going strong, although it is being phased out by SCL programming, which is more like Java and C (writing actual code).

Thread Information