Thread: r/runescape Community

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Default r/runescape Community

I know it's not really our thing to slate other communities, but how are they so uneducated over at reddit? Not too long ago, I commented on some random image about how RuneScape would become much more efficient (less lag/graphic lag etc.) if it become a fully downloabable game, so the textures would be accessible on the system, and so the majority of character game mechanics could use system resources, rather than sending data to the server. Admittedly my argument was quite naive, but was mostly valid.

And then, to my surprise, I got massively flamed! Being accused of being 12, that I should learn what a computer was etc. My comment also received a stupid number of downvotes, but this is the RuneScape community, they just dislike anything that doesn't agree with them perfectly.

Secondly, I posted saying that chaotic claws have the best DPS of any chaotic weapons (which they do), and it was exactly the same story. Seriously, people, if you don't know whether or not something is true, FIND OUT. Don't be a dick about it.

Sorry for being so generalistic, but I swear the majority of people over there are clueless, and just enjoy looking like morons. It does irritate me heavily that the down/upvote thing ends up being far more subjective than it was originally intended to be.

/rant

Sorry, for attacking another community...
    Last edited by Richard; 03-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

I stopped visiting the Runescape forums when they said we could stop injection bots by objects have dynamic id's.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)

If you want to see some uncropped pictures then visit any runescape subreddit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

The runescape forums are full of loads of uneducated people that have no idea what they're talking about, and have no intrest of learning. The only reason why I ever go there is to trade in the marketplace forums, where I still have a high chance of being flamed for advertising the wrong price, or omg how did you get so many, you bot *lol*.

edit: awkward, I thought you were talking about the rs forums..
    Last edited by sahibjs; 03-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)

The people there have no idea what they are doing... People post about getting 99 cooking and such, and about 1/10th f the posts every day is about someone not having played for a while and asking for tips on what to do, as if there are no sites out there for RS.
    I still check it out occasionally, it's better than the shitty rsbot/sythe ocmmunities.
    Miner & Urn Crafter & 07 Chicken Killer
    SPS BlindWalk Tutorial

Working on: Nothing

teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    r/runescape != runescape forums.

I've had similar experiences there as what you described, Richard. Any post that slightly deviates from what is generally accepted gets steam-rolled by the hive-mind.
    Yeah, they not particularly educated there, either. Just the other day, I said how I didn't like the fact that Java doesn't support unsigned ints, biggest flaming I've ever seen

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)

I R Runescape player! Don't say anything that is correct that I don't believe in because I will stupidly flame you until the end of days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah, they not particularly educated there, either. Just the other day, I said how I didn't like the fact that Java doesn't support unsigned ints, biggest flaming I've ever seen
    I know what you mean.
    I had to work with unsigned values when I was making a private server for another game, though Netty handles it quite well.

By the way, I'm wondering where you draw these DPS conclusions from, do you just experiment?

Runescape News and General & Skill Guides
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

The moderating team on that sub reddit is poorly organized.
    Most of them don't even moderate the posts that are submitted, except for maybe one. And that one mod is a comp/max player in the game, who shows barely any interest in coming on the sub reddit and doing his job.

Demotions/Promotions have happened so many in the team since January, since they hardly do their job.

Which leads to an immature and clue less community, as you can tell by some of their submissions.
    Here's an example, of where a user(Self_Aware_reddit) claims to be smarter and better at slayer since he has a 10 year cape and 18m slayer xp.. And gets downvoted hard.. Its appalling how he can't even read what the OP was about..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Not too long ago, I commented on some random image about how RuneScape would become much more efficient (less lag/graphic lag etc.) if it become a fully downloabable game, so the textures would be accessible on the system, and so the majority of character game mechanics could use system resources, rather than sending data to the server. Admittedly my argument was quite naive, but was mostly valid.
    What sort of things are you talking about? The client does download the resources it needs to play the game. That includes textures, models, animations, map/item/object/npc information, etc.
    :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    What sort of things are you talking about? The client does download the resources it needs to play the game. That includes textures, models, animations, map/item/object/npc information, etc.
    Sorry, I rephrased it badly in that post. I know that there is a large volume of cache downloaded locally. Although this itself is not the issue I was talking about, it does still download the information while you're logged in the game (in the way it loads "chunks", and if I'm right in saying, this is when it downloads the cache). What I meant was that the game engine is mostly server-side, so the majority of data has to be sent to the server, which hugely slows down the gaming experience, and I assume that's the reason we have to have such infrequent ticks.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-17-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2739 Post(s)

Sorry, I rephrased it badly in that post. I know that there is a large volume of cache downloaded locally, although this itself is not the issue I was talking about, it does still download the information while you're logged in the game (in the way it loads "chunks", and if I'm right in saying, this is when it downloads the cache). What I meant was that the game engine is mostly server-side, so the majority of data has to be sent to the server, which hugely slows down the gaming experience, and I assume that's the reason we have to have such infrequent ticks.
    If they made it download only then Jagex wouldn't be able to say they are the "Number 1 free browser mmorpg" which I'm guessing is a huge part of their marketing strategy, also runescape is known for being able to be played on like a [sarcasm]ti-32 calculator[/scarcasm]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RJJ95 View Post
    If they made it download only then Jagex wouldn't be able to say they are the "Number 1 free browser mmorpg" which I'm guessing is a huge part of their marketing strategy, also runescape is known for being able to be played on like a [sarcasm]ti-32 calculator[/scarcasm]
    Yeah, and I assume they'd never do both, as those on the downloadable would have a huge advantage over those on a browser as they'd have more of the game engine on their end. That, and no one would use the browser anymore, because, let's be honest, all other browsers games are aimed at 8 year olds

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    603 Post(s)

I check it from time to time, but honestly the hive mind of reddit lately all seem like closed-minded 12 year olds that just attack anyone who doesn't agree with them, not to mention as a "bot developer" (obviously I'm just a scripter, but they don't know the difference) of sorts, I feel like an inmate at a prison guard party, but oh well,

I think we've all been spoiled by SRL

Programming is like trying keep a wall of shifting sand up, you fix one thing but somewhere else starts crumbling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Sorry, I rephrased it badly in that post. I know that there is a large volume of cache downloaded locally. Although this itself is not the issue I was talking about, it does still download the information while you're logged in the game (in the way it loads "chunks", and if I'm right in saying, this is when it downloads the cache). What I meant was that the game engine is mostly server-side, so the majority of data has to be sent to the server, which hugely slows down the gaming experience, and I assume that's the reason we have to have such infrequent ticks.
    The client downloads the game's resources whether it is logged in or not. I'm not sure what you mean regarding "chunks".

What would you propose moving from the server to the client? You can't exactly have the client making decisions about the state of the world -- it can't be trusted to be fair.
    :-)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by core View Post
    And what's worse is that all of the good mods have either left or been banned by the bad ones:
    Nova actually botted for his comp cape and account shares. I like how he acts as if nothing happened.
    The way he acts is a primary reason to why he should be removed

Thread Information